Top 4? 2020/2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Finishing position 2020/2021

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well ok I guess if that's how you feel - but personally I could never put Leicester fans anywhere near those of Chelsea or Liverpool in terms of being 'despicable'. The violence, the racism, the arrogance, the failure to ever accept any blame for your actions. For me it's got to be Leicester in the top 4 a million times before those two. (And if I had to choose between them, I'd much rather Chelsea got 4th than Liverpool - but that's a completely different debate, this is about your hatred of Leicester when compared to those two).
You are missing the very simple logic of Leicester success being directly at our expense They are effectively replacing us the other two through dint of ownership and sporting history are not direct competition. I loath Liverpool and Chelsea but I'm aware enough to get we are not their rivals. That League Leicester won should have been our first since 61 they are the team breaking the established axis not us. Spurs have way more to fear from a successful Lecister than the other two.

You are missing the very simple logic of Leicester success being directly at our expense They are effectively replacing us the other two through dint of ownership and sporting history are not direct competition. I loath Liverpool and Chelsea but I'm aware enough to get we are not their rivals. That League Leicester won should have been our first since 61 they are the team breaking the established axis not us. Spurs have way more to fear from a successful Lecister than the other two.

I'm not sure that's even English.

Leicester fans are arrogant as hell and deluded.

The season after they won the league, they came to the Lane and sang 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' for the whole of the game.

I hope they miss out on CL and the likes of Fofana and leave. They can then return to mid-table.

No they didn't.
After they sung that to Burnley on about the 4th game of the season, and Burnley replied with "We've won it twice, you'll never sing that", they didn't sing it to any team that had won the League previously after that, and certainly not when we played them. They were singing "We are the Champions, the Champions of England", the whole game

The bitterness towards them by a small minority is unreal, they have achieved significantly more on a much lesser budget this century than us, they run their club like we can only dream of it being run.
To actually see one of our overseas "fans" basically cheer what he thought was a Chelsea goal says it all really.
No proper Spurs fan could want Chelsea to beat Leicester unless it was a one-off that significantly affected Spurs chances of winning something.

Last edited:
I disagree. Leicester’s big game is against the Chavs. Beat them and they can get their sombreros and mankinis out. They won’t give a fuck with the FA cup and CL football in the bag. I am almost sure we will get something against them if they go into the last game knowing they don’t need anything by way of result

10k Leicester fans who hate us. And players motivated to put on a show.

I think we have our work cut out It’s quite a tight ground. I reckon 10k fans will sound quite noisy in there. Especially if they put them next to the pitch.

It would be good for Liverpool to miss out on CL seeing as their ownership wanted the Super League because they don’t like the uncertainty of getting the CL money every year.

I think we have our work cut out It’s quite a tight ground. I reckon 10k fans will sound quite noisy in there. Especially if they put them next to the pitch.

They will only have 8000 there (25% capacity, capped at 10k)

Maybe. But there heads and hearts will be with their families & summer holidays if they’ve already bagged the FA cup and swept Chelsea’s claim aside for their CL spot. I just don’t see a huge motivation to put us to the sword when they’ve finished a very successful campaign

The big 6 over the past 10 years, to present league points.

big-6.jpg

We have finished above;
City - 2 times
Chelsea - 3 times
United - 4 times
Liverpool - 6 times
Leicester - 7 times
(Woolwich - 4times, but they are pretty irrelevant now)

As things stand, this will be the 2nd (and consecutive) time we have finished bottom of this pack.
Interestingly to me though, we have been the least volatile with seasons of decline with only City coming close to our level of point return consistency.

Biggest drops in points from 1 season to the next;
Chelsea - 37 pts / 23 pts
Leicester - 37 pts, but since have been on a really solid looking climb (I doubt to be sustained).
Liverpool - 36 pts (currently) / 22 pts
United - 25 pts / 15 pts
City - 17 pts / 13 pts
Spurs - 12 pts / 9 pts

Average points over 10 seasons;
City - 83.8 pts
United - 73 pts
Liverpool - 72.9 pts
Chelsea - 72.3 pts
Spurs - 69.6 pts
Leicester - 56.1 pts (weighted for 7 seasons)

big6-ave-pts.jpg

We could get 65 points still, which is a total we failed to surpass for 22 seasons (even with 42 games) from 1987 (71 pts) - 2010 (70 pts).

We've had 3 consecutive seasons posting negative points each time. The other teams have only had 1 (or 2 for City & Liverpool) seasons of decline, so to stop this trend for me was an important milestone to reach yesterday.
We won't be going negative again this time and looks like only Liverpool will - but 196 pts over 2 seasons was never something that could be sustained. They just tanked twice as hard as City did after their 198 pts over 2 seasons.

There's almost an arrogance within our fanbase that we should be in the top 4 - but that's never really been our long term level. A couple of seasons where we got 86 & 77 pts seems to make people think we should either be able the achieve that every season (comparable with City & Liverpool touching 100 pts), or that the rest of the league should drop their levels so that around 70 points will always get you Champions League football, when in fact our average (69.6 pts) would be enough for Champions League football 5 times in the past 13 seasons, which is exactly how many appearances we have had in the competition during that period.

Since moving to our new stadium we have been 3rd (last season), and currently 2nd for home form in the Premier League.
P 42 / W 25 / D 7 / L 10 / Pts 82

While at Wembley we had exceptional away form with our home form letting us down a bit, which has now been reversed - but we are still 6 points better off away from home this season compared with last, with an away day at Leicester still to come (20 pts to 26 pts).

We do have fewer points at home this season compared to last - but so does everyone. It's been tough without fans for all, but I do believe we can turn the place in to a bit of a fortress next season and build from there.

Still positives to look forward to I say!

Last edited by a moderator:
We finished 11 points behind Leicester in 2015/16 on 70 points, a typical enough points haul in a season for us. Just about every time we had a chance that season to exert real pressure or make a statement of intent, we flunked it.

Leicester finished 12th, 9th and 9th in next three seasons after winning league. They’ve a good manager now in Rodgers and a good recruitment system. Provincial club like Leicester won’t sustain it long term though.

Well ok I guess if that's how you feel - but personally I could never put Leicester fans anywhere near those of Chelsea or Liverpool in terms of being 'despicable'. The violence, the racism, the arrogance, the failure to ever accept any blame for your actions. For me it's got to be Leicester in the top 4 a million times before those two. (And if I had to choose between them, I'd much rather Chelsea got 4th than Liverpool - but that's a completely different debate, this is about your hatred of Leicester when compared to those two).
Igula Igula doesn't really have a good grasp of football. Frankly it's embarrassing.

Same old stale line up of two Manchesters, Liverpool and Chelsea in Top 4 and European Cup place. 4 of the super league wannabes who were plotting and conspiring to get out of the tournament up until about 3 weeks ago.

This Leicester team looks gone, although they have just scored. They could end up 5th yet. Which would be hilarious.

I bash up Spurs as often as I can when our team and owners deserve it, but I never glance at another club and offer praise (well not something I do routinely). Fuck Leicester, muggy bastards.

A difference between us and them could literally end up being 1 goal over 38 games.

The other difference, they do PR loads better than our lot.

2-1.... the phrase 'too little, too late' springs to mind!

Still, at least they beat those fuckers in the Cup....that's gotta,hurt, right?

Back
Top Bottom