Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There were quite a few of us skins in the late 70's, most in that pic were from hertfordshire
There was a short lived skin revival in the late 70s . That pic is 78/79, two tone , ska revival, sham 69 all had some identify with skin culture which was infested by the British extreme right .
Surprised as anyone would think it was the early 70s as a cross section of hard-core fans would resemble the Bay City Rollers ( without tartan) , a Maggie May Rod Stewart or someone from the Sweeney morphed together.

I’m far too young to participate in this thread (blatant :adegrin:), but my dad and his brother grew up in Walthamstow and were massive Spurs fans till the day they died. Gutted I never asked either of them about their experiences going to games in the 70’s/80’s.
So thanks for sharing your memories in this thread, folks, you’re really bringing it to life. :adesalute:

C_0MykrXoAA-2QP.jpg:large
The final match at WHL was the last time I felt that spirit of fan power and a return to an 'all for one and one for all' mentality.
4052-D2-EF00000578-4505092-image-a-33-1494832354573.jpg

If you went to an away game by Wally coach it would drop you back off outside the White Hart pub.

We would go in to get autographs from the players who had got back before us and were having a drink. Apart from the autographs we would leave them in peace.

From memory I got Perryman, Osgood, McNabb, Taylor, Naylor and one or two others.

Shortly after that I started making my own way to games so that put an end to that.
I went to a few by Wally Coach Notts Forest ( Argie 78 debut but arrived 10mins late ) but graduated to train quickly Man City away .
My only excuse was l was very young . The charms of Soho nightlife ( embarrissingly the arty ridiculous later Blitz scene ) soon took over .

Mansfield away.

It was pissing down all day. Me and my lot bought black plastic bin bags from a local shop who thought we were barking to keep us dry making holes in the top and sides for our heads and arms. But we hadn't got 5 mins up the road before the old bill rocked up and told us to take them off. No idea to this day what was wrong with that!

Anyway it was lashing down and there was no way we were going in the open away end. So me and a couple of others went in the home end. When we realised were were the only Spurs in there were gave a sob story to the steward about accidentally going in the wrong end and he just let us climb over the wall and left us to our own devices.

We decided to go in the side stand where the TV filmed the game from. We went for a piss where the toilets were already ankle deep in urine and when we came out some of our older lot were having a set to with some Mansfield.

Me and my mate joined in the fray but after about a minute we realised the others had fucked off and we were on on our tod. We beat a hasty retreat to be chased up the stairs to the stand.

The stairs split into a Y shape and luckily their lead protagonist tripped at the top step where they spilt giving us enough time to make our escape. At the top of the steps were the aforementioned older lot (probably early/mid twenties in reality) who we quickly mingled with and who thought it was most amusing.

Later on near the end of the game we moved to a position in front of the directors box where General Burkinshaw and some players were sitting (no idea why they were there and not in the dugout? Probably to keep dry!). They studiously ignored us.

My father asked to contribute:

Derby away losing 8-2, he took a charter flight and a train to derby, we were looking atrocious as the scoreline suggests and the derby lot were pelting our contingency with coins and peanut bags throughout. he had to dash during ET to get a flight back so he can make it to his cousin's wedding.

Woolwich at home late 70's. 1-1 Duncan scored and random pitch invasions started for a good 10 minutes. My father is 6'10'' and through the match he was at the back of the shelf with some little bloke jumping on his shoulders so he could see something

My father asked to contribute:

Derby away losing 8-2, he took a charter flight and a train to derby, we were looking atrocious as the scoreline suggests and the derby lot were pelting our contingency with coins and peanut bags throughout. he had to dash during ET to get a flight back so he can make it to his cousin's wedding.

Woolwich at home late 70's. 1-1 Duncan scored and random pitch invasions started for a good 10 minutes. My father is 6'10'' and through the match he was at the back of the shelf with some little bloke jumping on his shoulders so he could see something

6' 10"? Could have done with him at some of the games I was at!

6' 10"? Could have done with him at some of the games I was at!
he was a gentle soul after the 1973 war and shied away from violence. Despite being massive he only got in the mix twice during that era. The first leg of the Man City cup final when he was quarterd by their mob outside,and Liverpool at home (he thinks it was 79) as their firm didn't really care who they attacked

he was a gentle soul after the 1973 war and shied away from violence. Despite being massive he only got in the mix twice during that era. The first leg of the Man City cup final when he was quarterd by their mob outside,and Liverpool at home (he thinks it was 79) as their firm didn't really care who they attacked

Yes, despite the media spin about the loveable scousers you really had to ha e your wits about you up there.

Got a story about our trip up there when we lost 7-0. Maybe later, I am probably getting in everyones thruppeny bits by now.

There was a short lived skin revival in the late 70s . That pic is 78/79, two tone , ska revival, sham 69 all had some identify with skin culture which was infested by the British extreme right .
Surprised as anyone would think it was the early 70s as a cross section of hard-core fans would resemble the Bay City Rollers ( without tartan) , a Maggie May Rod Stewart or someone from the Sweeney morphed together.
They had a presence,but no way was it infested by the far right. By 83(in London) you may have a point,it was alot smaller numbers by then though.

78 i think.

571bdd17120d5b8954cf23320294b407.jpg
Yep,Stevenage skins. Had their own band as well "the Paint house" named after the book which was a study of a gang of Bethnal Green skinheads who were (mainly) Spurs a couple of well known terrace names from spurs are in it. If paint house had lasted a bit longer they may have got some success on the back of two tone,coz they were doing a similar sound.

Last edited:
Yep,Stevenage skins. Had their own band as well "the Paint house" named after the book which was a study of a gang of Bethnal Green skinheads who were (mainly) Spurs a couple of well known terrace names from spurs are in it. If paint paine had lasted a bit longer they may have got some success on the back of two tone,coz they were doing a similar sound.

I really enjoy reading your posts about the fashion and music scene of that era.

Most of the gigs I did were punk (Clash/Ruts/Banshees/Damned etc) although I did see The Specials in 1977 (?) at the Lyceum which must have been one of their first London gigs. The Bodysnatchers and Selecter
Selecter were also on the bill.

We grew up in Thamesmead, but the rest of the family lived in Wood Green and Edmonton and as we were always up there, my brother naturally joined my cousins as Spurs, and went to most games throughout the late 70's, 80's and 90's.
Heard lots of stories about running battles after NLDs but oddly said he never saw much at Chelsea games.

Once he made the mistake of walking into this gaff....

Henley2009.jpg

:levystare:

....with a Spurs badge or something on, and got chased halfway through the Woolwich foot tunnel by West Ham..they wouldnt come out the southern side though, too shit scared of the Woolwich Mafia

I really enjoy reading your posts about the fashion and music scene of that era.

Most of the gigs I did were punk (Clash/Ruts/Banshees/Damned etc) although I did see The Specials in 1977 (?) at the Lyceum which must have been one of their first London gigs. The Bodysnatchers and Selecter
Selecter were also on the bill.
Cheers mate,it was my life(a long with spurs) for years,so can waffle on a bit.I'd say that gig was 79 because I don't think body snatchers and selecter came about till then . Selecter by the selecter(b side of the specials first single) was in reality just Noel Davis,he recorded that in his bedroom! Probably one of the best tunes 2tone ever released,and it's only really a demo.

The second leg (replay) of the final they were directly above us as they couldn’t shift all their allocation presumably.
Mad it was
A few battles
None of them came down into us, but vice versa

Liverpool league cup final was mad outside

How we lost that I don’t know.
We outplayed them only to get held up and robbed at closing time
That weasel Whelan.

Cheers mate,it was my life(a long with spurs) for years,so can waffle on a bit.I'd say that gig was 79 because I don't think body snatchers and selecter came about till then . Selecter by the selecter(b side of the specials first single) was in reality just Noel Davis,he recorded that in his bedroom! Probably one of the best tunes 2tone ever released,and it's only really a demo.

79 sounds more like it. It was after I started working that was 1978 so makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom