Tottenham Boys - We Are Here

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember that day well I was one of about 200 yids in the clock end, was kicking off all over the place and word was going round that Jenkins who was supposedly head of their clock end mob did a runner after taking a good battering. police formed a cauldron around the Spurs fans until half time when some big black bloke with a Spurs scarf pops his head up from the gantry and says "oi we are a bit outnumbered down here can we have some help" which resulted in a massive surge through the police line and 14 year old me got bowled over - I ended up going to hospital with a suspected broken ankle (turned out to be only ligament damage). The very sympathetic st Johns ambulance driver was very apologetic when I said it was my first visit to highbury and he said dont worry son its not normally this bad but some horrible Spurs fans turned up because their game was off. I admit to having a warm glow inside and totally forgot about the pain in my leg.

That was a fantastic night. I was right up at the front of the North Bank, to the left of the goal....Garth Crooks came straight at us when he scored. There was a moat between the stand and the pitch, which the Old Bill used. Remember telling one of them to take off his helmet as I couldn't see. He chatted me up and we went out for a few months. Didn’t last because he hated being second to THFC. Happy days :)
If both of these 'scenes' don't make it into the 'TBWAH' movie, then Flav has missed a trick...

In my mind, the Spurs-centric casting would have a 'knowing' Kenneth Brannagh playing the St John's Ambulance guy...
and Jude Law will be playing the role of the Copper who chatted Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman up at Highbury!!!

Last edited:
Another here who went to both Wolves games. Was in the elevated terrace section for the first, which was rammed, but better than behind the goal. The reply was an unforgettable night in the north bank. Not my first or last visit to the north bank, but always avoided the 'entertainment'.
Having sent a letter to the first Hillsborough enquiry outlining what we experienced, I was subsequently interviewed by a police officer for the most recent one, but didn't have to appear in court. We were so lucky that time we were there.

I also went to both wolves games in 81, I was drinking in the Harmood in Chalk Farm at the time (staunch Spurs pub) sadly gone now.
Anyway we had paid money for a coach trip to Hillsborough and we're looking forward to the match. I didn't have a ticket but had no fears about getting in. The night before I heard word that the coach was off while I was half cut in the pub. My brother and I had the drunken idea to hitch it up to Sheffield. Quick trip home for a cup of tea and a warm coat then a bus to cricklewood and a walk to staples corner and get the thumb out for a lift. 14 hours later we arrived outside the leppings lane end. The place is rammed and just like 89 they opened a gate to stop the crush outside and we were in. It was very tight on the terrace, funny enough like many a terrace for a big game of that era. The Brixton riots kicked off the same weekend which pushed the crushing injuries in our end to the back pages.
The replay was bloody magical, we get to play at the arse with an opportunity to smash the place up after it's nearly all Spurs in the ground with an atmosphere we will never see again. All the talk on the terraces in the final minutes was get on the pitch and rip the place up!
I'm in the north bank with everyone I know that's Spurs, the final whistle goes and there's the pitch invasion both in celebration and let's leave the arse a message. I'm on the north bank laughing as countless Spurs fans are swinging from the bar trying to break it, including one of my brothers! It finally breaks to great cheers from the crowd. Meanwhile Spurs fans look like they all have an allotment as they dig up and throw bits of the pitch about with great delight! People were literally dancing on the pitch, what a night!

My first game was a NLD in the mid eighties. I was 10 or 11. We got caught in a wave of woolwich supporters on the high street and ran into the nearest toilets for cover. Never forget being wedged inside a cubicle with (among other randoms) the burger guy. He had the foresight to park his burger trolley in cubicle next door. I was proper scared but kind of exhilarated at the same time!

Only time I went to Highbury was that semi final. Stood near half way line and as Ricki Villa pulled his foot back to shoot just in front of me remember thinking don't shoot from there. He was right and a fantastic goal.

old-fuckers-old-fuckers-everywhere.jpg

:allitongue:

Keep it coming, folks!

Great documentary

It was that film that basically forged their repuation or infamy if you prefer. It was unfortunate timing as the club had been doing a lot in the community etc and they seemed destined for better things before the doc which many prople regarded as a BBC stich up. Basically MFC thought the doc was going to be about all the other good things they were doing at the time but it purely focused on the hooligan element and was spun accordingly.

It was after that appeared on TV that the leaflets went around the Park Lane rallying the troops for the Boxing Day 1977 game.

I don't think they have ever shaken it off and some of their fans seem to believe they have to live up to the media perception. In fact they have had 18 bods arrested in the last week alone!

IMHO Milwall, pound for pound/man for man remain top of the hooligan food chain. Just lucky that their support, in terms of numbers, is woeful.

Great documentary

That fella (with the hair and bins)reminds of my dads mates step son.We were at Highbury(79 or 80) for the NLD and a group of about 5 Woolwich started following us.God knows why, i was 11/12 me dad 47, his mate about 50, plus my brother and the fore mentioned step son.I look back on it and wish the bell ends had tried something,as i think they would of got leathered. Despite their ages, my dad could look after himself as could his (to put it mildly) mate ,who was an ex Guards para(when they still had them).His step son ,may have looked silly but in spite of this (or maybe because of it) could really have a tear up,and my brother was no slouch.To be fair ,these weren't chaps by any stretch of the imagination , just mongs who had got carried away with the mass hysteria about football violence, that was around at the time.

Haven't thought about this incident for years .This thread is brilliant

It was that film that basically forged their repuation or infamy if you prefer. It was unfortunate timing as the club had been doing a lot in the community etc and they seemed destined for better things before the doc which many prople regarded as a BBC stich up. Basically MFC thought the doc was going to be about all the other good things they were doing at the time but it purely focused on the hooligan element and was spun accordingly.

It was after that appeared on TV that the leaflets went around the Park Lane rallying the troops for the Boxing Day 1977 game.

I don't think they have ever shaken it off and some of their fans seem to believe they have to live up to the media perception. In fact they have had 18 bods arrested in the last week alone!

IMHO Milwall, pound for pound/man for man remain top of the hooligan food chain. Just lucky that their support, in terms of numbers, is woeful.
True story
A few years back i managed an Oi band called the east end badoes,they were formed in 79 , but had got back together with only the singer remaining(Still going now).We were at a gig in Romford and a few Millwall boys were there and tried to get the singer to pose with a surgical mask on (as he is Wall), he walked away shaking his head and muttering to himself. I pulled him on it later and asked what that was all about.He went on to explain that him and a load of wall had started the surgical mask thing in the Dun Cow, Old Kent Road after one of them,who worked at St Thomas Hospital nicked a load.He went on to say that 30 odd years later,it wasn't funny any more,in fact it weren't that funny then :)

True story
A few years back i managed an Oi band called the east end badoes,they were formed in 79 , but had got back together with only the singer remaining(Still going now).We were at a gig in Romford and a few Millwall boys were there and tried to get the singer to pose with a surgical mask on (as he is Wall), he walked away shaking his head and muttering to himself. I pulled him on it later and asked what that was all about.He went on to explain that him and a load of wall had started the surgical mask thing in the Dun Cow, Old Kent Road after one of them,who worked at St Thomas Hospital nicked a load.He went on to say that 30 odd years later,it wasn't funny any more,in fact it weren't that funny then :)

Hence why they were called 'The Treatment'.

I never went to the Old Den but went to the New one in 2001 or thereabouts for a pre season testimonial for one of theirs and Teddy was supposed to play but didn’t

Absolute bedlam from the moment I alighted outside Sth Bermondsey station

Apparently a crew of ICF joined our boys to take on Millwall

Running battles throughout and I took shelter under a bus stop from the hail of bricks until a local plod moved me on!
Never again

I never went to the Old Den but went to the New one in 2001 or thereabouts for a pre season testimonial for one of theirs and Teddy was supposed to play but didn’t

Absolute bedlam from the moment I alighted outside Sth Bermondsey station

Apparently a crew of ICF joined our boys to take on Millwall

Running battles throughout and I took shelter under a bus stop from the hail of bricks until a local plod moved me on!
Never again

Yes mate. Not one for the faint hearted that one. Many a story been told about that day if you know where to look.

Back
Top Bottom