Tottenham Hotspur v Ajax, Champions League Semi-Final, Tue 30th April

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, what's bad about this site is intolerant wankers who seem to think only their version of football and how to enjoy it should be tolerated and all others should be shouted down.

Serious question, what was your take on how we completely changed once Sissoko came on yesterday? I know you're not a fan but surely you can appreciate his influences with such a contrast in the before & after demonstrated right?

Serious question, what was your take on how we completely changed once Sissoko came on yesterday? I know you're not a fan but surely you can appreciate his influences with such a contrast in the before & after demonstrated right?

I think the overall consensus is that we simply improved because we added numbers to midfield so Wanyama wasn't up against 3 and we got rid of playing 5 at the back which helped no one.

I think the overall consensus is that we simply improved by adding numbers to midfield and getting rid of 5 at the back.

Do you think Dier would have made as much of a difference if he had come on though? Sissoko is the heartbeat of the team at the moment. If people choose to ignore that or accept that that's up to them but he drives us like nobody else does at the moment and is a crucial component to a team that has reached the semi finals of Europes biggest competition.

Do you think Dier would have made as much of a difference if he had come on though? Sissoko is the heartbeat of the team at the moment. If people choose to ignore that or accept that that's up to them but he drives us like nobody else does at the moment and is a crucial component to a team that has reached the semi finals of Europes biggest competition.

I don't think we'd have performed as well if Dier came on. He isn't as mobile or as powerful as Sissoko in terms of winning the ball back, turning with it and moving the ball upfield.

But it would have stemmed the amount of chances Ajax were creating regardless. Adding ANYONE in midfield would have helped. Foyth, Skipp, Dier, anyone. It was Wanyama vs. the rest out there for 30 odd minutes.

Winks was the big miss. Sadly.

As Totti said above.

I've already answered this in here a few times. Before the game and before the sub I said I'd happily see Sissoko on for Sanchez (it ended up being Vertionghen through injury) as we desperately needed to get an extra body into our midfield so we could at least compete with them there, with and without the ball, better. It was a terrible set up from Poch, not just because of the advantage we gave them playing with 3 CB's, but also playing Llorente, who can't work without the ball with any kind of energy, meant they could just walk past our first line, creating massive overloads in midfield, which pulled defenders (and Wanyama) all over the place.

Sissoko was fine, in as much as nobody was great last night, but I think we could have put Skipp on and we'd have still improved immensely, because it was the structure more than anything that was terrible.

What we miss desperately is Winks, his ability to show for the ball, allowing us to play from front to back, never panicking on the ball, keep it recycling and doing it constantly.

Sissoko was fine last night, but didn't do anything spunktatsic either, and there are still too many times when players are desperately looking for an out ball and he just stands there pointing because he doesn't want it under pressure, he did it again last night. And carrying the ball forward a couple of times might get the crowd excited, but there's rarely anything intelligent at the end of it. I'm sorry mate, but I will never be bowled over by what he does, he's a big unit that makes a splash with odd moments, give me someone who quietly goes about actually doing things intelligently any day, even defensively.

As Totti said above.

I've already answered this in here a few times. Before the game and before the sub I said I'd happily see Sissoko on for Sanchez (it ended up being Vertionghen through injury) as we desperately needed to get an extra body into our midfield so we could at least compete with them there, with and without the ball, better. It was a terrible set up from Poch, not just because of the advantage we gave them playing with 3 CB's, but also playing Llorente, who can't work without the ball with any kind of energy, meant they could just walk past our first line, creating massive overloads in midfield, which pulled defenders (and Wanyama) all over the place.

Sissoko was fine, in as much as nobody was great last night, but I think we could have put Skipp on and we'd have still improved immensely, because it was the structure more than anything that was terrible.

What we miss desperately is Winks, his ability to show for the ball, allowing us to play from front to back, never panicking on the ball, keep it recycling and doing it constantly.

Sissoko was fine last night, but didn't do anything spunktatsic either, and there are still too many times when players are desperately looking for an out ball and he just stands there pointing because he doesn't want it under pressure, he did it again last night. And carrying the ball forward a couple of times might get the crowd excited, but there's rarely anything intelligent at the end of it. I'm sorry mate, but I will never be bowled over by what he does, he's a big unit that makes a splash with odd moments, give me someone who quietly goes about actually doing things intelligently any day, even defensively.

Nearly a compliment

Nearly but even if you do say something complimentary we then get an anti Sissoko rant

Get help mate

Brilliant post.. could not agree more. I honestly believe that this will be as food as it ever gets with these clowns in charge. Levy will just release some bullshit statement after the season about how brilliant it's been in our European adventure then give poch barely enough to but 1 decent player which he will have to use to buy 2 or 3 bang average ones..

Would you prefer a billionaire shiek or russian oligarch in charge?

As Totti said above.

You have an agenda against certain players, your brain simply refuses to allow you to praise them in any way apart from maybe a back handed compliment, it's just no, no their shit and i know best.
It's a shame as you obviously like your football and have a decent knowledge, not as much as you like to think you have mind.
That stops me and i would imagine many people from reading what you have to say, maybe climb down occasionally and stop being so superior, people would engage more freely.
We all have opinions but you put yours across as fact and that winds people up.
You probably don't care anyway but just my two penneth worth.

Not sure if has been mentioned before but at the start of the game the atmosphere was out of this world, I couldn’t even hear the CL music cause of all the yids! For everyone who went last night and contributed, well done!

Agree.

Ajax fans I was talking to in Dirty Dicks before the game seemed to know all about the on-sale dates, membership structures and also the doughnut/ring of doom.

I would imagine some have memberships and have been to games as Spurs fan or neutral - not much the club can do about them buying tickets.

Not sure if has been mentioned before but at the start of the game the atmosphere was out of this world, I couldn’t even hear the CL music cause of all the yids! For everyone who went last night and contributed, well done!

Shame it didn't inspire the players.......or maybe it did and they would have been even worse without us

About 20 of them jumped up when Ajax scored in North Upper. Lots of people shouting and swearing at them, stewards went into their row but they weren't removed.
To be honest they were well behaved and I didn't see any further issues. Mate of mine was speaking to one of the stewards at half time and apparently they can't remove them as they have paid and had not done anything 'wrong'.
And in modern football that makes sense.Look at the flags you see round the ground on a match day.Who's to say some of the Ajax fans don't support both and got tickets as members? I know that's not going to be the case with them all, but i can see where the stewards are coming from.
That doesn't mean i have to like it though :)
I gotta be honest... this time yesterday, I was just relieved I'd got a ticket... I didn't even LOOK where in the ground I was supposed to be... HAD it been in the away end, I still would've chanced my arm.. and HAD we scored, I'd have been THAT guy who junps up to celebrate in the WRONG END!

As it was, I was right next to the Ajax fans, and saw a few in the 'home end' but to be honest... those 'Spurs fans' around me spent most of the half moaning, complaining and giving their tactical insight to players 40 yards away who COULDN'T HEAR THEM, I was glad to move to the South Stand for the 2nd half...

Honestly, I think I've realised the major difference between English/Our fans and those from abroad...

OUR fans think they know everything, and instead of SUPPORTING the team, spend their time barracking and shouting their disapproval (as if Trippier is gonna cut inside and beat his man 'cos some know it all prick in the East Lower shouts at him!) rather than just offering their support for 90 minutes (which, as FANS, is all we can do) like the foreign fans seem to do.

I Know Dortmund seemed not to notice how the game was going with their NON STOP singing, regardless of the scoreline... but Ajax fans seemed to have more of an understanding that THE FANS role is to support, and the Coach/manager is there to berate/cajoule/encourage the team tactically!

What's the point of one guy telling Eriksen to "get stuck in"?? He can't hear him! He's better off trying to start a chant/song that gets the WHOLE TEAM GOING...
that, after all, is what fans are there for!

No, what's bad about this site is intolerant wankers who seem to think only their version of football and how to enjoy it should be tolerated and all others should be shouted down.
Do you understand the concept of "support?" Because you show no discernable sign of it.
Quite aside from my reservations about your knowledge of what football is, all I see from you are post after post of you shitting the club I support, the players who represent it and the man who is THE MOST effective manager the club has ever had in terms of consistency, league position goals scored and in the time I have been supporting ( since 67) the most enjoyable performances I have witnessed. No silverware but city, Chelsea and Utd. have shown that money buys everything.
You are obsessed with stats to the point that you can't see who actually can play and who can't or isn't and your massive conceit and arrogance drips through all of your posts. How you can call what you do is how you "enjoy" your support is a mystery.
You are universally ridiculed and abused by plenty of other supporters than just me and you still don't take the hint.
Yet I'm the one with the problem?

Why don't you try to see yourself through our eyes? You write your posts, not your detractors. Stop being such a self appointed know all, it really is fucking unappealing.

Would you prefer a billionaire shiek or russian oligarch in charge?
No is my answer. But as more and more time goes by and more and more crap clubs like city and chelski win things and become these apparent huge clubs. I sometimes think what if..... and I also wonder if that is the only way nowadays to actually win.. of course everyone would prefer to be on their big horse exclaiming how we won it properly.. but I just don't think it will happen. Unless weirdly you have american owners like Liverpool who knew nothing about football, but have somehow grasped the proper way to make money is to be successful on the pitch and therefore to invest and buy world class players...

Back
Top Bottom