Tottenham Hotspur v Luton. 3pm 30/3/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m saying whatever is said at HT to get the team going to play quicker or whatever why can’t that be said pre match abd we start the game like we do in most 2nd half’s.
The second halves are better because teams use all their energy trying to slow us down in the first half. it's got nothing to do with with teamtalks or the team not trying hard enough in the first half. Subs have helped and probably minor tactical tweaks that I'm not smart enough to see but mainly it's because our style wears teams down.

The second halves are better because teams use all their energy trying to slow us down in the first half. it's got nothing to do with with teamtalks or the team not trying hard enough in the first half. Subs have helped and probably minor tactical tweaks that I'm not smart enough to see but mainly it's because our style wears teams down.

Can't be right.....

#AngeDoesn'tChangeGames

Every single semi big team predict big wins at home to Luton because they’re absolute championship piss. They have an injury crisis a mile long (way worse than we had) despite their starting 11 when everyone is fit .. still being champo piss.

Nothing wrong with our fans expecting to put away championship level sides at our huge expensive ground they pay top top dollar to go to.
I previously said that I expected us to win, as most of us did, but to predict scores of 5-1, 4-1, 6-1 etc is quite frankly delusional, when you consider how badly Fulham(champo level?) rinsed us. A large win would've been desirable, but I didn't expect it from our current team just because I shell out a load of cash every season. However, I do expect more overall success from THFC, as a paying supporter to be fair.

Heard some genius in the bar claiming that we should have been 3-1 up at HT; Sonny’s off both posts and Sarr’s off the line. The fact that they all happened in the same move and if one went in the other two wouldn’t have was lost on him. :ange-facepalm:
I had someone behind me, after we equalised and VAR were having a look
"Aaaaaah (how) can it be offside when it was an own goal"
Never mind the pass into Johnson.

Then when we got the winner I think VAR had a look and again "aaaaaaah can it be offside when it touched the defender on the way in"

Mate...."aaaaah" can you be that age and not know how offside works?

Have you actually been at these games?

We come out 2nd half, every single time, Brighton, Brentford, Palace and now Luton, and we look a totally different team for 15-20 minutes when the 2nd half kicks off.
All of a sudden there's direct passes, players running at the opposition defence and actual urgency in our play.
It's  not the opposition just tiring. There definitely is a change in mentality and effort at least for the early stages of the 2nd halves of games, especially at home.

Have you actually been at these games?

We come out 2nd half, every single time, Brighton, Brentford, Palace and now Luton, and we look a totally different team for 15-20 minutes when the 2nd half kicks off.
All of a sudden there's direct passes, players running at the opposition defence and actual urgency in our play.
It's  not the opposition just tiring. There definitely is a change in mentality and effort at least for the early stages of the 2nd halves of games, especially at home.

If that’s your experience I’m not going to tell you it’s wrong, especially if you are at the game.

I’m just going off what the manager says and the way the game looks to me watching it. The last game I didn’t see live and it’s very different watching without the pressure of wanting to win. I definitely didn’t see a desire or attitude switch vs Luton in either half. Second half we were just better out wide with Johnson .

If more than half the ball is over the line, it should be a goal. Period.

But the powers that be like to complicate simple things. Cause they're mugs.
Would you be happy if this goal was awarded against us following your logic? Remember we've had so many games and goals go against us historically because of no tech.

The rule is the rule. The technology exists to ensure it's fair now.

If that’s your experience I’m not going to tell you it’s wrong, especially if you are at the game.

I’m just going off what the manager says and the way the game looks to me watching it. The last game I didn’t see live and it’s very different watching without the pressure of wanting to win. I definitely didn’t see a desire or attitude switch vs Luton in either half. Second half we were just better out wide with Johnson .
But your initial reply suggested Ange doesn't change it or do anything at HT, and that it's just us wearing the opposition down.
But he clearly did see a problem and changed it this time with a sub, and I have no doubt he's been saying something at HT of all these games. This time it was a personnel change, in some of the other games it was a night/day change to how the starting 11 played. Deki was useless in the first half against Brighton and Wolves, but for 10 minutes or so, he came on and absolutely ran riot against them leading to goals.

Would you be happy if this goal was awarded against us following your logic? Remember we've had so many games and goals go against us historically because of no tech.

I want goals to be awarded to us whenever the opposition scores against us. Lol.

Like I've explained since that original post, I was just peed off, my man. Friggin millimeters...who said size don't matter, eh?! But I'm good now.

Totally appreciate it'd amount to opening another pandora's box to review that rule. We got enough of them VAR silly billies drawing mad lines for uber marginal offsides.

But your initial reply suggested Ange doesn't change it or do anything at HT, and that it's just us wearing the opposition down.
But he clearly did see a problem and changed it this time with a sub, and I have no doubt he's been saying something at HT of all these games. This time it was a personnel change, in some of the other games it was a night/day change to how the starting 11 played. Deki was useless in the first half against Brighton and Wolves, but for 10 minutes or so, he came on and absolutely ran riot against them leading to goals.

It's not just one thing but what Ange has said consistently is that his game model has always meant his teams finish games stronger and wear teams down.

That wouldn't be the sort of goal that would upset me tbh.

We've had much worse given against us and, tbh, that's 3 times now we've had the ball over the line and not got the goal (Watford away, and of course, Man United away)

It always feels to me, like those that make the rules are just trying to make the game less fun.

Sarr left his man, didn't need to

he scored

He 100% needs to.

You would honestly advise someone in that situation to track the runner to the back post? Not put any pressure on the ball whatsoever??

Effectively let the player on the ball in the box time to either open up his body and hit it with his left or more likely play it to the oncoming central midfielder while you stand somewhere near the edge of the six yard box.

That’s a very interesting tactic!!

He 100% needs to.

You would honestly advise someone in that situation to track the runner to the back post? Not put any pressure on the ball whatsoever??

Effectively let the player on the ball in the box time to either open up his body and hit it with his left or more likely play it to the oncoming central midfielder while you stand somewhere near the edge of the six yard box.

That’s a very interesting tactic!!
werent there 3 defenders for 2 attackers at the time?

werent there 3 defenders for 2 attackers at the time?

Yep. And 10/10 in situation I would pass off their LW to our RB and go to defend the danger which is the player with the ball.

Here you go.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2WzCkxIFTc

Pause it at 0.19 and tell me what you think Sarr should do with a split second decision to make.

He’s off screen when the ball gets played and you can see he makes the decision to go put pressure on the ball and help the CBs Porro and Romero at this point have one player to deal with.

If however you would have chosen to go with their left winger pause it again at 0.21 and look at their central midfielder on the edge of the box who would basically be in ten yards of space for an easy pass from Barkley.

Also worth noting the clever blocking by their CF on Porro to stop him getting out to block the shot quickly.
That is actually the small advantage that gave their player time to steady himself and get away a decent shot.

But Deki awful pass and Bissouma being totally sold by the stepover shape are the major factors IMO.

(And for all the talk on here of us starting slowly it’s noticeable Udogie is playing as a CF for us within the first 2 minutes of the game!! That’s pretty aggressive play from a left back.)

Thought we had a good preseason? Also with the amount of gaps we’ve had this season been plenty of time to work on tactics and mentality. Pre season you may get 4 weeks at most of which a lot is fitness based. Hate that argument that a pre season fixes everything. We had 2 weeks to prepare the tactics, approach , mentality, everything and basically the first was the same lame shit we see in every game. You’d think after the Fulham game they’d come out firing.
Preseason went well enough, however Ange didnt have a lot of time to organise, prepare properly and stamp his authority.
Preseason is so important to get an identity on how you play as it takes a while for everyone to remember what ,how and when and more importantly why.
I do agree that we should have come out all guns blazing against Luton but perhaps one eye was on tonight's game.
Lets hope for a decent game and 3 points COYS

Back
Top Bottom