Tottenham the most dangerous attack under mourinho in first 5 games!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How did he change it? He finished 6th and then got sacked when we were in 7th, our 2 worst league placings in 10 years.

He left it even worse and totally disjointed.

We were 14th when Poch left. Based on the results and diminishing performances that season, there was nothing at all to make me believe we would have improved on that if he stayed for the season.
Not least because he was no longer motivated and the snidey cunt players were doing the dirty on him.

We ultimately finished 7 points off the top 4 and 16 points off 14th - so we improved where our projected finish would have been. Last season we ultimately finished 5 points off the top 4.
In his almost 2 full seasons, despite a shit squad and little backing, we finished 7 and 5 points off the top 4. What undid us, in both seasons, was horrendous bottle jobs in 6 pointer games we could and probably should have won.
The football was often horrible, no one will deny it. But you always felt that there were 2 or 3 games per season where the entire game was a write off and you knew it in the first few minutes. Chelsea, United, Woolwich and even some games against lesser clubs where we just failed to arrive in time for kick off.
Those players did it for Poch, Mourinho and now Nono.

Could anyone here put their hand on their heart and say they believe Nono will get anywhere near that close to a top 4 finish? No chance. He/we will be nowhere near it. It'll be 10-20 points off by May.

We were 14th when Poch left. Based on the results and diminishing performances that season, there was nothing at all to make me believe we would have improved on that if he stayed for the season.
Not least because he was no longer motivated and the snidey cunt players were doing the dirty on him.

We ultimately finished 7 points off the top 4 and 16 points off 14th - so we improved where our projected finish would have been.
We were 14th after about 12 games. And the table was just completely clumped up… we were 3 points off 5th. To state it the way you did is misleading. I could easily state that we started 3 points off 5th and finished 3 points off, so we didn’t improve at all.

You can’t honestly think we would have actually finished 14th after the full season if poch had stayed.

People thought the poch performances were horrendous because we were used to years of top 3 performances, but even during pochs poor stretch, we still controlled games… we just couldn’t break teams down. We can’t even control games anymore.

We were on a streak of 1 point per game in poch's last 25 matches. Thats 2/3rds of a season. Relegation form . Finishing top 6 from that isnt bad at all. Poch was finished in his last year for us.
Different seasons, different circumstances. We were 3 pts off 5th when he was sacked, having played Liverpool, City, Woolwich and Leicester away. We were playing crap, not disputing that but other than the new manager bounce when Mourinho came we continued to play crap. He achieved cock all.

Different seasons, different circumstances. We were 3 pts off 5th when he was sacked, having played Liverpool, City, Woolwich and Leicester away. We were playing crap, not disputing that but other than the new manager bounce when Mourinho came we continued to play crap. He achieved cock all.
Oh yea achievement wise we havent achieved anything in over a decade. Like you said the new manager bounce did happen. We were in the bottom half and finished top 6. Then went 1st next season, for a while when the real mourinho propped up and fucked it all.

Still there was a big improvement over Pochs 25 matches.

We were 14th after about 12 games. And the table was just completely clumped up… we were 3 points off 5th. To state it the way you did is misleading. I could easily state that we started 3 points off 5th and finished 3 points off, so we didn’t improve at all.

You can’t honestly think we would have actually finished 14th after the full season if poch had stayed.

People thought the poch performances were horrendous because we were used to years of top 3 performances, but even during pochs poor stretch, we still controlled games… we just couldn’t break teams down. We can’t even control games anymore.
As some one else rightly pointed out, we averaged 1 point per game for the previous 20+ games. That is relegation form.
On game week 12 we were 14th on 14 points. 1.166 ppg.
In the next 26 games post Poch we finished 6th on 59 points. 1.73 ppg - which is an improvement. Over 38 games that's 65/66 points. 4th place that season.
Even in the 2nd season we were at 1.6 ppg with results dropping off.

I loved Poch and what he did for us. But he wasn't doing it anymore and it was getting dangerously bad.
Mourinho improved us from where we were when we sacked Poch.
No it wasn't great. No he didn't win anything or achieve top 4. But with a 1 point per game average for a worryingly long period of time, we had to change it.

As some one else rightly pointed out, we averaged 1 point per game for the previous 20+ games. That is relegation form.
On game week 12 we were 14th on 14 points. 1.166 ppg.
In the next 26 games post Poch we finished 6th on 59 points. 1.73 ppg - which is an improvement. Over 38 games that's 65/66 points. 4th place that season.
Even in the 2nd season we were at 1.6 ppg with results dropping off.

I loved Poch and what he did for us. But he wasn't doing it anymore and it was getting dangerously bad.
Mourinho improved us from where we were when we sacked Poch.
No it wasn't great. No he didn't win anything or achieve top 4. But with a 1 point per game average for a worryingly long period of time, we had to change it.
Poch did well for us for a few years but some find it very difficult to admit that we were going down fast with him in the end and that things did improve with Mourinho (for a while).

Poch was actually given the best performing team that any manager of ours has received from a previous manager.

Mourinho's biggest failing, which interestingly doesn't apply to Nono, is that he didn't seem to weed out the shit. Nono has no fucking plan but within 4 or 5 games he figured out who was completely terrible and relegated them to the bench or worse.

Mourinho's biggest failing, which interestingly doesn't apply to Nono, is that he didn't seem to weed out the shit. Nono has no fucking plan but within 4 or 5 games he figured out who was completely terrible and relegated them to the bench or worse.
His biggest problems are he doesnt really have any tactics and seems bemused that he doesnt walk into Chelseas 2004 squad wherever he now goes. He's stuck in the past thinking big charachters are all that you need. Slagging off over half the squad probably doesnt help much either.

His biggest problems are he doesnt really have any tactics and seems bemused that he doesnt walk into Chelseas 2004 squad wherever he now goes. He's stuck in the past thinking big charachters are all that you need. Slagging off over half the squad probably doesnt help much either.
Yeah, but if he weeded out shit earlier/at all, we might have done a bit better. And as it stands today, he was doing better than the last year of Poch and the early period of Nono.
Actualy, little harsh, we're on about the same PPG at the moment as we were over 33 games last season.

Mourino ppg 20/21 ...1.56 (over a season 59 pts) Mason ppg 2 (76 pts, but a small sample size) Nuno ppg 1.66 (63 pts) I think thats utterly damning on Mourino, last season was meant to be his year, had a potential front 3 of Bale, Kane and Son and produced what would have been our worst points haul since 2008/09 when Ramos had us on 2 pts after 8 games.

Mourino ppg 20/21 ...1.56 (over a season 59 pts) Mason ppg 2 (76 pts, but a small sample size) Nuno ppg 1.66 (63 pts) I think thats utterly damning on Mourino, last season was meant to be his year, had a potential front 3 of Bale, Kane and Son and produced what would have been our worst points haul since 2008/09 when Ramos had us on 2 pts after 8 games.

1.56 is still half a point per game better than Poch. Which is how this re-bump has deviated.

I stumbled upon this and bumped it because it highlighted the fact we were actually creating chances and having a go in games, unlike now. Where 3 times this season we've gone entire halves of football without any chance at all. Scary stuff.

1.56 is still half a point per game better than Poch. Which is how this re-bump has deviated.

I stumbled upon this and bumped it because it highlighted the fact we were actually creating chances and having a go in games, unlike now. Where 3 times this season we've gone entire halves of football without any chance at all. Scary stuff.
I've taken out Mourinho figures from replacing Poch in 19/20. That is his stats from last season where he had a full pre season (almost 2 because of the lock down break), he knew the squad, been given decent backing by our standards and he was coming in at our worst points tally for 10 years and was ourperformed by Mason and now by Nuno. Woeful.

I've taken out Mourinho figures from replacing Poch in 19/20. That is his stats from last season where he had a full pre season (almost 2 because of the lock down break), he knew the squad, been given decent backing by our standards and he was coming in at our worst points tally for 10 years and was ourperformed by Mason and now by Nuno. Woeful.
He was definitely outperformed by Mason in a PPG basis, but I think Mason had 6 games, won 4 and lost 2 and the 2 he lost were Villa and Leeds, games we should have won but got blown away.
I wouldn't say Nuno is outperforming him. Things are getting worse far quicker.

He was definitely outperformed by Mason in a PPG basis, but I think Mason had 6 games, won 4 and lost 2 and the 2 he lost were Villa and Leeds, games we should have won but got blown away.
I wouldn't say Nuno is outperforming him. Things are getting worse far quicker.
Dont get me wrong i'm not a fan of any of the 3 and the blame is pretty much at the door of Levy and the board for 3 terrible, ill thought out appointments.

Back
Top Bottom