Tottenham v Dortmund - German magazine

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hello everyone,
my name is Ron Ulrich and I work for the German football magazine 11Freunde (comparable to When Saturday Comes and FourFourTwo - 11freunde(dot)de).
I wondered if you could help me with that:
For our next issue we would like to portray the three cities the German teams will visit in the next Champions League round. So it is supposed to be a football culture tourguide (with a map) for fans created by people who know the city and its history very well. It would be great if we could give some hints to places/ pubs/ fields/ houses which have a special meaning (to Tottenham and his history) and are not so commonly known as f.e. Wembley Stadium or Belushi’s sports bar.

To give you an impression, this is what I would recommend in Dortmund:
1 Borsigplatz - birthplace of the club and place where the club does his parades after titles
2 German football museum opposite the main station
3 Lindemannstraße - the place where one of the Dortmund players Neven Subotic celebrated spontaneously with the supporters after their deceisive game and therefore win of the title 2011

I am grateful for any hint / recommendation / link or contact.

Kind regards
Ron
ron.ulrich(at)11freunde(dot)de

The problem is that we don't have a great deal of heritage sites at Wembley. Would definitely recommend that your fans do take a visit to see the new ground to get a feel of the place, it is a site to behold, did you know we have the largest club shop in Europe? (source Herr Cowlin's YouTube channel) there are still a number of pubs around the ground with some history too like the Bricklayers Arms.

But it's kind of a strange time to be a tourist for spurs once the new ground has opened properly there will be a lot more to recommend.

There is the Moulin Cafe right next to Wembley Stadium which is somewhat of a Spurs shrine (along with the rock group Queen). Not exactly historic but it’s something Spurs-related nearby. The food is great and they serve beer.

The problem is that we don't have a great deal of heritage sites at Wembley. Would definitely recommend that your fans do take a visit to see the new ground to get a feel of the place, it is a site to behold, did you know we have the largest club shop in Europe? (source Herr Cowlin's YouTube channel) there are still a number of pubs around the ground with some history too like the Bricklayers Arms.

But it's kind of a strange time to be a tourist for spurs once the new ground has opened properly there will be a lot more to recommend.
It would be well worth a visit to the New/Old White Hat Lane first... and then a quick (well, an 1hr 15mins) trip to Wembley... if you factor it into your day, then it could be a nice 'introduction' to North London... ahem, culture!

WhiteHartLane>>>Wembley

In all seriousness, if you want to see where grass roots football lives in London then go for a walk around Hackney Marses:

Hackney Marshes - Wikipedia
“Today the marshes provide many pleasant walks, in reach of the inner city, but the most famous use of Hackney Marshes is for Sunday league football,[9] with 88 full-size footballpitches marked out. On a typical Sunday, over 100 matches are played by amateur teams in several local leagues.”

You can reach it from Stratford Station by walking through the Olympic Park and there is even a giant Athletics stadium nearby where they pretend to play football as well. Many old Tottenham players played there as youth including Ledley King and Jermain Defoe.

Last edited:

It would be great if we could give some hints to places/ pubs/ fields/ houses which have a special meaning (to Tottenham and his history)

:lennon:
which one....?
u-g-P6S04L0.jpg
images
?

Hello everyone,
my name is Ron Ulrich and I work for the German football magazine 11Freunde (comparable to When Saturday Comes and FourFourTwo - 11freunde(dot)de).
I wondered if you could help me with that:
For our next issue we would like to portray the three cities the German teams will visit in the next Champions League round. So it is supposed to be a football culture tourguide (with a map) for fans created by people who know the city and its history very well. It would be great if we could give some hints to places/ pubs/ fields/ houses which have a special meaning (to Tottenham and his history) and are not so commonly known as f.e. Wembley Stadium or Belushi’s sports bar.

To give you an impression, this is what I would recommend in Dortmund:
1 Borsigplatz - birthplace of the club and place where the club does his parades after titles
2 German football museum opposite the main station
3 Lindemannstraße - the place where one of the Dortmund players Neven Subotic celebrated spontaneously with the supporters after their deceisive game and therefore win of the title 2011

I am grateful for any hint / recommendation / link or contact.

Kind regards
Ron
ron.ulrich(at)11freunde(dot)de
Ron I will decline to tell you to do one Ron Ron as that would be extraordinarily crass of me but what I will say if you want to get a sense of history of our great club you could do no worse than share the link for memory lane a People's history of our lamented old home the famous white hart Lane.
Memory Lane: the world-famous-home-of-the-Spurs story – The Fighting Cock

Really looking forward to this tie and have booked flights for the return match. I love it when German fans turn up at the lane great spirited fans. Hopefully we will be back home in the new ground but that seems to be slipping away. Wembley is a drab experianece but if we do get to be home it will be electric.

Could recommend they go to see Haringey Borough FC - it's acutally a football ground on White Hart Lane.

Or else the Beavertown Brewery to sample some of the beers which will be available in the New WHL.

Thanks everyone so far for your help (and also the music references apart from Born to Ron ;). I have watched "Memory Lane" - very good documentary. Some parts reminded me of this famous picture:
Has there even been an explanation behind the picture?

Thanks everyone so far for your help (and also the music references apart from Born to Ron ;). I have watched "Memory Lane" - very good documentary. Some parts reminded me of this famous picture:
Has there even been an explanation behind the picture?

White hart Lane was always a short cut to the shops. This heritage has been reflected with the stadium devolpment incorporating a sainsbury.

ledley_king.jpg

Bricklayers, Antwerp Arms and the two decent local breweries: Beavertown (fashionable metropolitan craft beer only in Tottenham ‘cos it’s cheap) and Redemption (proper N17 brewery with proper beer). Might be worth popping in to Bruce Castle Museum... but really, have a look around the new stadium site, pop into the local pubs, and go to the museums and sights in central London.

Back
Top Bottom