tottenham versus Woolwich 1991 wembley

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How mads that, set my two boys down to watch the highlights of this earlier on in the week

“ you’ve lost that double feeling, whoaaah that double feeling”

Still my number 1 all time live sporting experiences for me, the limbage every time we scored, I ended up about 20 rows in front of me lol
Another shout here for ‘favourite game’ ever. Of course the ‘he is you know’ commentary is seared into the brain but I remember lots from the day.

Travelled up from south London to Baker St with Gooner mates. Said we’d all meet there again after the game. It was a cold, chilly morning but that might’ve been the nerves. Woolwich were like a machine then and most expected them to beat us. Old Wembley was a cold blowy old stadium and remember just shivering with nerves until the teams came out.

Then a huge crescendo of noise - like nothing new Wembley has produced since. We started the game like a steam train and going 2-0 so early was like being in a dream. Every goal involved limbs and being moved 20 rows forward or back - I was on the aisle but I saw people laying on the stairs or across seats upside down.

The fear returned when Smith scored and it made HT feel a bit uncomfortable.

We looked knackered just after HT and Lineker’s goal seemed to come out of nowhere. Gazza was fucked having spent all his energy in the 1st half (watching it back I’d forgotten how good those one twos were with Paul Allen for the 2nd goal). We held on but they seemed camped in our half. Started whistling for the end at about 80mins!

Elation on the final whistle...pandemonium again!

Giving it to them up Wembley way and on the tube was very fucking satisfying. And when I got to Baker Street those silly Gooner divs were only waiting for me to travel back home....smug grin that wouldn’t be wiped off for months
It will forever be known as "The Game of Limbs!" That's all I remember... arms flailing everywhere!

I was gonna say: "The Science of the Limbs" but on reading it back, sounded quite pretentious!!

Probably still my favourite spurs moment of all time, brilliant.
Back when football was enjoyable and actually meant something
Mine too until Ajax second leg last year.. getting to see the excitement on my boy who was 8 then was magic! It brought me full circle to being a 7 year old in 91.

My local at that time was the Harmood Tavern Chalk Farm, a staunch Tottenham pub, even the landlords dog trotted around with a Spurs scarf round it's neck.
The pub was next door to Chalk Farm bus garage (both no longer there) one of the Spurs lads was a bus driver and arranged for us to hire two buses to take us to Wembley.
On the morning of the match meet up in the pub for a livener and board the beer filled buses. The two buses were roughly 80% filled with Spurs and we all agreed whoever wins we'll share the buses on the way back.
The journey to Wembley was great as we were singing and slowly getting pissed. We weren't favourites but we bloody well played like we were, everyone was just buzzing all game. Bloody party time when it finished or what! Not one goon got on the buses for the trip home 😂 We toured every pub round Kentish Town looking for gooners crying into their beers.
I carried an inflatable 6 foot carrot all day long just to annoy every gooner in sight, come the end of my drunken night some sad gooner must have popped it with his cigarette butt while I was off dancing a jig of delight!
My favourite day ever spent at the football, on the piss for 15 hours and rubbed salt right into all the local gooners, never had so much fun doing it as well. Mind you London was far more of a community back then, we knew everyone local. Everyone I know raves about that wonderful day.

Still the greatest Spurs match I have attended. Eight of us traveled up from Somerset in a mini bus, I was a bag of nerves, after all woolwich were going for the double, we were injecting gazza to get him to play and were in financial dire straits. Then gazzas goal....and ending up several rows away from where I started. Bliss!

The second half last four hours, until the third went in, that finished them! Never been in a happier bus going back down the m4, lots of horn beeping to other Spurs and a laugh in membury services when a car load of woolwich gave it the big one from a distance until two of our lot marched over like the terminator......and they executed a perfect starskey and hutch get away with one well aimed stone creating a lovely dent in the roof...lol! Great day
"Marched over like the Terminator"...
Where have I seen that lately...?
:dier:

My favourite day ever spent at the football, on the piss for 15 hours and rubbed salt right into all the local gooners, never had so much fun doing it as well. Mind you London was far more of a community back then, we knew everyone local. Everyone I know raves about that wonderful day.
It's funny when you say "London back then..." as if it was 1961, not '91...

Then you realise 1961 was 'only' 30 years before... and we're now just a year shy from the 1991 FA Cup Winning team, as they were from The DOUBLE Team!! (It makes sense in my head!)

There's a sobering thought!

It's funny when you say "London back then..." as if it was 1961, not '91...

Then you realise 1961 was 'only' 30 years before... and we're now just a year shy from the 1991 FA Cup Winning team, as they were from The DOUBLE Team!! (It makes sense in my head!)

There's a sobering thought!
Yes I was there as well and had no thoughts that the success or the previous 30 years would not be repeated in the future. In the years 1961-91 we seemed to rise to the occasion and win the big matches. Since that year we have only 2 league cup successes.

Yes I was there as well and had no thoughts that the success or the previous 30 years would not be repeated in the future. In the years 1961-91 we seemed to rise to the occasion and win the big matches. Since that year we have only 2 league cup successes.
We also were an average mid table team for a lot of that time.
We even got relegated

We also were an average mid table team for a lot of that time.
We even got relegated
I think it's one of the reasons why I meant so much, we lived through that relegation and came back stronger.
I was 30 in 91 and the FA cup final was still then the biggest game in football. But beating an extremely strong arse team on the way was nothing short of beautiful, even CHAS & Dave wrote a song about it.😀

Anyone remember the issue of Spur (maybe the cup final one) that had the free 7" record. It was something to do with the Cocteau twins. Samples Barry Davies commentary. Was a great little tune.

Anyone remember the issue of Spur (maybe the cup final one) that had the free 7" record. It was something to do with the Cocteau twins. Samples Barry Davies commentary. Was a great little tune.
Nice one !
I had to Google it (from Wikipedia)...
I do remember this being a thing now...

The Lillies were an indie rock band formed as a collaboration between members of the bands Cocteau Twins (Simon Raymonde), Lush (Miki Berenyi, Chris Acland) and Moose (Kevin McKillop, Russell Yates).[1][2]

They released only one song titled "And David Seaman Will Be Very Disappointed About That...", inspired by the words spoken by BBC commentator Barry Davies after Paul Gascoigne scored a 30-yard goal passed Seaman in a free kick at the 1990–91 FA Cup semi-final.[3] The song appeared on a flexi-disc that came with the Tottenham Hotspur football fanzine The Spur (Issue 24, September 1991).[2][3] The band members were all Tottenham fans, and recorded the track at the suggestion of Stuart Mutler, editor of The Spur.[4]

The song commemorates the 3-1 victory over Woolwich FC in the FA Cup semi-final in May 1991. After rejecting suggestions that they should record a cover version of an old football song, such as "Nice One Cyril", they decided to come up with an original song. The only discernible vocals on the track are Miki Berenyi chanting "Three-one". Yates said of the track: "...we've all been Spurs fans for years, and for myself making this flexi has probably made me more proud than making any Moose record".[2]

Nice one !

The Lillies were an indie rock band formed as a collaboration between members of the bands Cocteau Twins (Simon Raymonde), Lush (Miki Berenyi, Chris Acland) and Moose (Kevin McKillop, Russell Yates).[1][2]

They released only one song titled "And David Seaman Will Be Very Disappointed About That...", inspired by the words spoken by BBC commentator Barry Davies after Paul Gascoigne scored a 30-yard goal passed Seaman in a free kick at the 1990–91 FA Cup semi-final.[3] The song appeared on a flexi-disc that came with the Tottenham Hotspur football fanzine The Spur (Issue 24, September 1991).[2][3] The band members were all Tottenham fans, and recorded the track at the suggestion of Stuart Mutler, editor of The Spur.[4]

The song commemorates the 3-1 victory over Woolwich FC in the FA Cup semi-final in May 1991. After rejecting suggestions that they should record a cover version of an old football song, such as "Nice One Cyril", they decided to come up with an original song. The only discernible vocals on the track are Miki Berenyi chanting "Three-one". Yates said of the track: "...we've all been Spurs fans for years, and for myself making this flexi has probably made me more proud than making any Moose record".[2]
Brilliant - I couldn't remember the song name.
Found it on YouTube now

Nice one !

No way!!!! I never knew/heard this.... My teenage crush on Miki would have been even deeper than it already was if I'd have know she was Spurs!

Just about the most cred football song ever!!!

Back
Top Bottom