VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
VAR only works if it is transparent.

Unfortunately it has done the opposite as we now have decisions being made selectively in a room somewhere with zero accountability.

They choose when to check and whether or not to show the video information to the audience.

It's actually made things worse as there is no consistency

VAR only works if it is transparent.

Unfortunately it has done the opposite as we now have decisions being made selectively in a room somewhere with zero accountability.

They choose when to check and whether or not to show the video information to the audience.

It's actually made things worse as there is no consistency
I think people would be a lot more patient with VAR if this weren't the case. If VAR were actually trying to make correct decisions rather than acting as cover for the refs I think people would begrudgingly accept it.

Instead we've got the worst of both worlds.

I had this idea last night...

VAR referrals are requested only by the players.
Each side has one request per half. If any player questions a referee's decision, it is considered to be an official VAR request. That'll shut the mouthy little fuckers up. If a request succeeds, of course the team does not lose its 'one per half' entitlement.

It might also stop players diving, because the opposition could request a VAR referral if they felt a foul was unjustified.

Thoughts?

I had this idea last night...

VAR referrals are requested only by the players.
Each side has one request per half. If any player questions a referee's decision, it is considered to be an official VAR request. That'll shut the mouthy little fuckers up. If a request succeeds, of course the team does not lose its 'one per half' entitlement.

It might also stop players diving, because the opposition could request a VAR referral if they felt a foul was unjustified.

Thoughts?
Its been suggested since the inception, I'm not a fan. It's the worst of all worlds as it negatively effects the game while still allowing the rare occasion of a huge rick. If the challenge has been used and the mendes thing happens it still isn't overturned.

Get rid and accept some bad decisions as the alternative is worse.

*VAR encourages diving as long as contact =foul.

Its been suggested since the inception, I'm not a fan. It's the worst of all worlds as it negatively effects the game while still allowing the rare occasion of a huge rick. If the challenge has been used and the mendes thing happens it still isn't overturned.

Get rid and accept some bad decisions as the alternative is worse.

*VAR encourages diving as long as contact =foul.
Well yes, ideally VAR would be buried deep in outer space, but 'my' idea isn't the worst of all worlds - the current VAR implementation is that.

Well yes, ideally VAR would be buried deep in outer space, but 'my' idea isn't the worst of all worlds - the current VAR implementation is that.
I see the general idea but VAR was originally to stop huge errors, this would not*

*in some cases compared to our VAR

I see the general idea but VAR was originally to stop huge errors, this would not*

*in some cases compared to our VAR
Sorry to laugh, because I appreciate your sincerity, but the notion that VAR is stopping huge errors...

Quite often it's the players (and fans) who can see the huge errors, when VAR and the officials can't. 'My' idea might just sharpen up the players' reactions, as they could potentially have as many referrals as they needed, as long as they were all justified, but make just ONE dodgy request and you've cost your team the chance of any real referrals for the rest of the half.

Sorry to laugh, because I appreciate your sincerity, but the notion that VAR is stopping huge errors...

Quite often it's the players (and fans) who can see the huge errors, when VAR and the officials can't. 'My' idea might just sharpen up the players' reactions, as they could potentially have as many referrals as they needed, as long as they were all justified, but make just ONE dodgy request and you've cost your team the chance of any real referrals for the rest of the half.
VAR stops huge errors, most of the old fashioned ones... It creates others by micro reffing.

I like football, adding this brings in a new tactic that's unnecessary and would be worse imo.

VAR stops huge errors, most of the old fashioned ones... It creates others by micro reffing.

I like football, adding this brings in a new tactic that's unnecessary and would be worse imo.
Sorry, but you're wrong. It might bring a much needed and long-overdue discipline and sense of reponsibility to the players of the game, at elite level.

Sorry, but you're wrong. It might bring a much needed and long-overdue discipline and sense of reponsibility to the players of the game, at elite level.
VAR introduced to stop huge errors... Let's change it so it doesn't do that.

It will reduce diving no more than the current version

Bump.
VAR needs to be binned off.

VAR-decided-not-to-give-a-penalty-against-Rodri-1572516.jpg

Bump.
VAR needs to be binned off.

VAR-decided-not-to-give-a-penalty-against-Rodri-1572516.jpg

I genuinely believe we have the worst referees in European football right now and VAR is just making things worse. It’s a disgrace and needs to be scrapped.

I genuinely believe we have the worst referees in European football right now and VAR is just making things worse. It’s a disgrace and needs to be scrapped.
I think VAR is a good thing. It's just football does it very, very badly.

One step would make it a million times better straight away... broadcast the ref microphones.

There is absolutely no reason for them not to be heard. Put the live feed on the red button or whatever for the whole match, with the broadcast cutting to it when they're making a call.

Let everyone hear their thought process and make them accountable.

Back
Top Bottom