Vic Buckingham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi chaps,

Just thought some of you might be interested in this article about ex-Spurs wing-half Vic Buckingham. I'm sure most of you are aware of Vic's immense contribution to the game, but thought you might enjoy the read anyway. For those of you who don't know, Buckingham played a major role in the development of 'Total Football' and became very highly regarded on the continent, particularly with Ajax and Barcelona, but his legacy here in the UK was sullied by a better scandal.

Anyway, for those of you interested, the article is here:

http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/06/24/from-reynolds-to-buckingham-total-football/

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, new to the forum. Cheers. :thumbup:

Mate most on here were born after 1990.

The rest of us are either too jaded to care or too pissed to read.

Not only have you picked the wrong board but the wrong forum altogether.

Good day to you sir.

Interesting stuff. I'd never heard of him before. Thanks for posting.

wtf is wing half?
In yellow.

Football_Formation_WM.png

Hi chaps,

Just thought some of you might be interested in this article about ex-Spurs wing-half Vic Buckingham. I'm sure most of you are aware of Vic's immense contribution to the game, but thought you might enjoy the read anyway. For those of you who don't know, Buckingham played a major role in the development of 'Total Football' and became very highly regarded on the continent, particularly with Ajax and Barcelona, but his legacy here in the UK was sullied by a better scandal.

http://ahalftimereport.com/2015/06/24/from-reynolds-to-buckingham-total-football/

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, new to the forum. Cheers. :thumbup:

As this is not CL related and he's an English player, you won't get much interest on here..

I love talking about the old proper Spurs players.
I once attended a Spurs related dinner and on our table was this old fella who was a bit of Spurs Historian, I could have listened to him all night.
He spoke about Vic Buckingham and how highly he was rated.
He was responsible for bringing Cruyff into the game I believe.
By scandal I assume you meant the betting scandal and match fixing in the 60's?
The Old Fella covered this and said it did go on as the wages were so crap in them days.
Saying that I'm pretty sure he said the nothing was ever proved?

Thanks for the Thread, it's nice to know that some people realise that there is more to Spurs than signing Brazilian Superstars and the CL..:adethumbup:

Last edited:
As this is not CL related and he's an English player, you won't get much interest on here..

I love talking about the old proper Spurs players.
I once attended a Spurs related dinner and on our table was this old fella who was a bit of Spurs Historian, I could have listened to him all night.
He spoke about Vic Buckingham and how highly he was rated.
He was responsible for bringing Cruyff into the game I believe.
By scandal I assume you meant the betting scandal and match fixing in the 60's?
The Old Fella covered this and said it did go on as the wages were so crap in them days.
Saying that I'm pretty sure he said the nothing was ever proved?

Thanks for the Thread, it's nice to know that some people realise that there is more to Spurs than signing Brazilian Superstars and the CL..:adethumbup:

He handed Cruyff his debut, although Cruyff had been at Ajax since the age of 10, and one suspects his talent would always have been recognised. Having said that, the way in which Vic set the team up was perfect for Cruyff and certainly helped him.

Yes, the betting scandal was in 1964 whilst he was with Wednesday. Buckingham was never convicted of anything but three of his players did admit to accepting bribes and throwing a game against Ipswich, he left Wednesday that year and only managed in England once more, with Fulham.

Glad you enjoyed the article, been surprised at just how many people aren't aware of any of the three men in the article. I'd write a book on them if I wasn't so busy.

Also, there's some irony in people pointing out the outdated formations which saw Buckingham play as a wing-half, since those outdated formations were one of the very things he opposed and played a big part in revolutionising.

Hi chaps,

Great read!
Love your other articles too!
Would be interested to see if you want to take your article even further back to Peter McWilliam. McWilliam managed Spurs in two spells from 1912-27 & 1938-42 (yes i did google that) and in his 2nd spell in addition to managing Buckingham, he also had a huge football influence on two other football genius's in that Tottenham side namely Bill Nicholson & Arthur Rowe. Think about that, McWilliam influenced Buckingham, Rowe & Nicholson, these three managers a credited for some of the greatest football ever seen. All underpinned with a philosophy of short, quick, accurate passing executed by footballers of high technical ability.

A number of clubs give meaning to a style of play and then label it as "The xxx Way" usually followed by fans of said club debating what the "Way" is and when have they actually played that "Way" if ever. With the style of football that McWilliam introduced to Tottenham in 1912 (based on the Scottish short and quick one/two touch pass) Tottenham developed a style of play known as "The Tottenham Way". Whilst discussing another of his innovations, the foundation of a feeder club, Northfleet United, a team who consisted entirely of youth players and who's aim was on developing young talent to play football The Tottenham Way, he said "we train the players to only have good habits.....I always tell them to treat the ball as their best friend and always pass the ball with care and consideration. Belting the ball has no place in the Tottenham Way of doing things". Hence forth Tottenham had a philosophy and style of play and an identity that has underpinned the football club ever since.

Great read!
Love your other articles too!
Would be interested to see if you want to take your article even further back to Peter McWilliam. McWilliam managed Spurs in two spells from 1912-27 & 1938-42 (yes i did google that) and in his 2nd spell in addition to managing Buckingham, he also had a huge football influence on two other football genius's in that Tottenham side namely Bill Nicholson & Arthur Rowe. Think about that, McWilliam influenced Buckingham, Rowe & Nicholson, these three managers a credited for some of the greatest football ever seen. All underpinned with a philosophy of short, quick, accurate passing executed by footballers of high technical ability.

A number of clubs give meaning to a style of play and then label it as "The xxx Way" usually followed by fans of said club debating what the "Way" is and when have they actually played that "Way" if ever. With the style of football that McWilliam introduced to Tottenham in 1912 (based on the Scottish short and quick one/two touch pass) Tottenham developed a style of play known as "The Tottenham Way". Whilst discussing another of his innovations, the foundation of a feeder club, Northfleet United, a team who consisted entirely of youth players and who's aim was on developing young talent to play football The Tottenham Way, he said "we train the players to only have good habits.....I always tell them to treat the ball as their best friend and always pass the ball with care and consideration. Belting the ball has no place in the Tottenham Way of doing things". Hence forth Tottenham had a philosophy and style of play and an identity that has underpinned the football club ever since.

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the site, only been up 5/6 weeks but I've been very pleased with the responses.

The story of McWilliam sounds like a great one and I'll definitely do some research into it. I am actually a sports journalist and I'm also currently writing a book so it's tricky finding the time to write for the site which I do purely out of enjoyment.

I'll let you know if I ever get round to writing an article on McWilliam though, cheers.

Cheers, glad you enjoyed the site, only been up 5/6 weeks but I've been very pleased with the responses.

The story of McWilliam sounds like a great one and I'll definitely do some research into it. I am actually a sports journalist and I'm also currently writing a book so it's tricky finding the time to write for the site which I do purely out of enjoyment.

I'll let you know if I ever get round to writing an article on McWilliam though, cheers.
Good luck fella.

Back
Top Bottom