We Are A Well-Run Club

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jesus man, you're not old.... You're a pup!!!

If you were to say you remember the early '70s..... THEN we're talking old!!!

Thanks a million!!!!! What does that make me - I remember 1967!!!!

Going back to the main topic, I have seen this club yo-yo from great to crap so many times. During that time, football has changed enormously in the way a club is run. There wasn't such a huge gulf between the top and the bottom clubs and clubs survived on the money they made from entrance fees. Life is very different today, and I think we are run as well as any, considering we don't have the financial backing of the clubs currently above us. I'm not saying that Levy is perfect, but I feel his intentions is always to do what's best for the Club, even though we may not always get it. When you look at the likes of Coventry, Leeds, Wolves, Forest, Blackburn, Glasgow Rangers and even Wimbledon to an extent, clubs that had success and were stalwarts of the top league, you can't take it for granted that this won't happen to us or other clubs sometime in the future. So, more power to your elbow Mr Levy, keep us up there with the big boys, just don't keep changing our managers every five minutes.

Re: transfers. Definitely frustrating, but its possible this was going on way before and not just with us. What you didn't have back then though was the amount of social media itk bullshit claiming to know every last detail about potential transfers. I remember when we signed modrif it seemed to come out of nowhere. One day we were linked in the paper, the next he was in the shirt.

These days it seems as though we miss out on players all the time, most
Likely because the strength of the link was bullshit in the first place. For the ones that are true, we now get these silly projected time frames (so and so player will sign by NEXT TUESDAY) that, when inaccurate or extended, make the transfers seem to take forever when they could just be taking the normal Amount of time for a multi million pound transaction involving a human being.

All this is ignoring that the transfer window didn't actually exist pre ENIC

Re: transfers. Definitely frustrating, but its possible this was going on way before and not just with us.
I think that last part is the most important. We have a huge bit of selection bias that only enhances a slight persecution complex. We pay more attention to our transfers than to those of any other, so we feel the almost more acutely, which is why it's good to have someone like @ WinterWarrior WinterWarrior here to remind us that things aren't so super at other clubs.

Look back to last summer: Liverpool were supposed to get Dempsey, Gylfi, Sturridge (is that right?) and Şahin on a permanent. This summer, the Wanderers have signed Bernard, Suárez, and whoever else. Yet they haven't. I mean, the season begins in Bale days and Woolwich have brought in all of one player, and he was on a free. And who knows with whom they've been linked this summer... I'm sure it's everyone ever, as they have holes in, basically, every position. So the best way to expand @ zin zin 's study, imo, would be to look at merely the transfer gossip of one window and see how many teams are involved, see which signings happen late, early, etc. Then we'll have an idea of what is "normal" in this social media day and age, and we'll be able to compare ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom