We have two in the top 10!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From the experts at ESPN - well the worst top ten of eleven so to speak

WORST XI OF 2022-23​

Goalkeeper: Illan Meslier (Leeds United)
Defenders: Clement Lenglet (Tottenham), Lyanco (Southampton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Marc Cucurella (Chelsea)
Midfielders: Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Jonjo Shelvey (Nottingham Forest), Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
Forwards: Richarlison (Tottenham), Kai Havertz (Chelsea), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Chelsea)

OK so the Chavs have three of the worst and I'm not sure Longlegs has played enough to be the worst, but Richarlison is a no-brainer, not to mention a no-scorer. OTOH Harry's in the best XI and I for one am still pissed that Kieran Tripper isn't ours:

Goalkeeper: Nick Pope (Newcastle United)
Defenders: Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Ruben Dias (Manchester City), Sven Botman (Newcastle United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
Midfielders: Bukayo Saka (Woolwich), Rodri (Manchester City), Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton & Hove Albion), Gabriel Martinelli (Woolwich)
Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Erling Haaland (Manchester City)

From the experts at ESPN - well the worst top ten of eleven so to speak

WORST XI OF 2022-23​

Goalkeeper: Illan Meslier (Leeds United)
Defenders: Clement Lenglet (Tottenham), Lyanco (Southampton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Marc Cucurella (Chelsea)
Midfielders: Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Jonjo Shelvey (Nottingham Forest), Stuart Armstrong (Southampton)
Forwards: Richarlison (Tottenham), Kai Havertz (Chelsea), Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Chelsea)

OK so the Chavs have three of the worst and I'm not sure Longlegs has played enough to be the worst, but Richarlison is a no-brainer, not to mention a no-scorer. OTOH Harry's in the best XI and I for one am still pissed that Kieran Tripper isn't ours:

Goalkeeper: Nick Pope (Newcastle United)
Defenders: Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Ruben Dias (Manchester City), Sven Botman (Newcastle United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United)
Midfielders: Bukayo Saka (Woolwich), Rodri (Manchester City), Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton & Hove Albion), Gabriel Martinelli (Woolwich)
Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Erling Haaland (Manchester City)
Do you remember how savagely Trippier was criticised by the less temperate section of fans? Slow…shit defender…wouldn’t start for a big club…

Do you remember how savagely Trippier was criticised by the less temperate section of fans? Slow…shit defender…wouldn’t start for a big club…
Yes. I didn't understand it then (perhaps some had heartburn for Kyle W still) and I don't get it now. Watching him in Spain you could see he was Premier material. Even at the Lane he was still better than the stiffs that succeeded him. I'm not a fan of "wing backs" because they are most often neither winger nor back but a poor sort of sub for both. But I'm a grumpy old fart. So there's that.

Yeah Lenglet is harsh. I don’t rate him much but he was more meh than crap. Richarlison fully justifying his place in that team though.
It's just another piece of clickbait garbage thought up by "experts" in 15 minutes over a swift pint at the local.

If you look at the Transfermarkt rankings then Mudryk, Adam Armstrong at Southampton, Hee-Chan Hwang at Wolves, Calvert-Lewin, Pulisic, Mateta at Palace, Joao Felix and Ziyech are all lower than Richarlison.

According to their ranking system the worst genuine striker in the league last year was actually Cristiano Ronaldo.

He was horrific the season after he returned from the World Cup, and he'd be the first one to say so.

And he wasn't a "begging anyone to get him off our hands" situation, Atletico paid a pretty significant fee.

Not the greatest transfer we'll ever make, but the reasons were understandable and I'm sure Trips would say his sojourn with Simeone was a boon to his career.

I'm still a state of bewilderment over how Gary Neville could pick Martinelli ahead of Kane, to join Haaland, as in his 2 strikers in his 'PL Team of the Season'.

Back
Top Bottom