We need to talk about THST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should THST merely apologise publicly, or mark their new irrelevance by disbanding entirely?

• Public apology

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Disband

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Let them eat cheese

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I admire all of your sentiment but I think you’re being generous. They are the THST. They’re supposed to represent the balanced views of fans. But they don’t. Their statements on Twitter are “I - I - I” not “the views of Tottenham fans are...”. It’s personal agendas all the time. It’s not difficult to give the balanced view of supporters. They’re just shit at it. They love their privileged position and they’re abusing it for agendas against the club when we need to pull together and the support the clear progress of our club. It creates divisions and gives fuel to the anti Spurs media. Fuck then.
Some fair points on this thread.

To be fair to the Trust, I don't think their job is that easy. I would have guessed that a higher proportion of Spurs fans would have been against playing at MK Dons. They have to be forever guessing what the majority of fans think which ain't as easy as all that. And their views will be clouded by the fact that the people they mix with are likely to be more football-activist types who care more about these issues than the average fan. It's easy to be clouded by the people you are mates with and to think they represent the majority, for instance with Stratford most people I knew were dead against, but actually quite a lot of Spurs fans were indifferent or even pro the move (many won't admit that now).

And yes, there's no doubt an element of them using their position to further personal causes. It's perhaps wrong, but it's politics and it happens. You can try and say the Trust should not be political, but to me that's impossible because their very nature is a political one. It's hardly the end of the world that they used their mouthpiece to call for a boycott against MK Dons.

I stand by my view that they may not do everything perfectly, and they will always piss off some people (in this case, the majority) but at least they are doing something, and they have done a lot of good work.

As for MK Dons, fair point about Dele (I know it would be pushing it to further my argument by saying that we ripped them off at £5m therefore we didn't help them at all by signing him!). Wimbledon may also be a horrible club but that doesn't change my views on MK Dons.

I still think we should have flipped the tie. I don't think playing at a half-empty soulless arena will help the club progress. It won't have any of the advantages that home advantage bring. It's not familiar for the players, and our support would have been louder at Watford. Watford will probably outsing us at MK. If we'd played it at Watford our usual away support, me included, would have turned out; I don't think that many of them will for this. But I appreciate the club's reasoning for not flipping it, so fair enough.

The link THST News - August 2018 posted by Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor is interestering, thanks for posting.

So... They have now asked Poch to a meeting to explain our transfer business...

The fact that THFC was the only club in Europe’s top five leagues not to make any signing inevitably attracted comment. Our manager’s remarks about the cost of building the stadium having an impact on our ability to compete in the transfer market also appeared to be at variance with the chairman’s assurance, given on a number of previous occasions, that this would not be the case. All this meant we thought it would be useful for supporters to be updated.

We’ve received no formal response from the Club Board. Instead they have told us that this is Mauricio Pochettino’s department. So we have invited Mauricio to attend our October Board to Board meeting to cover this part of Club business.

Some fair points on this thread.

To be fair to the Trust, I don't think their job is that easy. I would have guessed that a higher proportion of Spurs fans would have been against playing at MK Dons. They have to be forever guessing what the majority of fans think which ain't as easy as all that. And their views will be clouded by the fact that the people they mix with are likely to be more football-activist types who care more about these issues than the average fan. It's easy to be clouded by the people you are mates with and to think they represent the majority, for instance with Stratford most people I knew were dead against, but actually quite a lot of Spurs fans were indifferent or even pro the move (many won't admit that now).

And yes, there's no doubt an element of them using their position to further personal causes. It's perhaps wrong, but it's politics and it happens. You can try and say the Trust should not be political, but to me that's impossible because their very nature is a political one. It's hardly the end of the world that they used their mouthpiece to call for a boycott against MK Dons.

I stand by my view that they may not do everything perfectly, and they will always piss off some people (in this case, the majority) but at least they are doing something, and they have done a lot of good work.

As for MK Dons, fair point about Dele (I know it would be pushing it to further my argument by saying that we ripped them off at £5m therefore we didn't help them at all by signing him!). Wimbledon may also be a horrible club but that doesn't change my views on MK Dons.

I still think we should have flipped the tie. I don't think playing at a half-empty soulless arena will help the club progress. It won't have any of the advantages that home advantage bring. It's not familiar for the players, and our support would have been louder at Watford. Watford will probably outsing us at MK. If we'd played it at Watford our usual away support, me included, would have turned out; I don't think that many of them will for this. But I appreciate the club's reasoning for not flipping it, so fair enough.
Well put.

I don't agree with everything they've done, but I can stop and think, and at least understand the reasons why.

Communication obviously isn't their strong point, but nobody skilled in this area has come forward to help them, meaning they're stuck with what they've got. If anyone good at PR got involved it'd be an absolute godsend for them because clearly their hearts are in the right place.

His tweets are an embarrassment to Spurs. The club should do away with him.
I know his a Club legend, and I genuinely view him as such, amid that word lorded around so frivolously, but he's become a cheerleader and I fucking hate that. He doesn't need to do it, I feel he does it for retweets and popularity. For me, he just looks a dick. Especially slagging off the media for something said on the radio, he should take a leaf out of King's book and rise above it and don't get sucked into the baiting. It looks ridiculous.

I don't think the club should do away with him, just tell him to act a bit more statesman like, have a bit of class. Be more like Perryman and King, proper classy leaders.

I know his a Club legend, and I genuinely view him as such, amid that word lorded around so frivolously, but he's become a cheerleader and I fucking hate that. He doesn't need to do it, I feel he does it for retweets and popularity. For me, he just looks a dick. Especially slagging off the media for something said on the radio, he should take a leaf out of King's book and rise above it and don't get sucked into the baiting. It looks ridiculous.

I don't think the club should do away with him, just tell him to act a bit more statesman like, have a bit of class. Be more like Perryman and King, proper classy leaders.
I didn't literally mean they should do away with him. Based on this post, I feel pretty much the same as you do about him

Well put.

I don't agree with everything they've done, but I can stop and think, and at least understand the reasons why.

Communication obviously isn't their strong point, but nobody skilled in this area has come forward to help them, meaning they're stuck with what they've got. If anyone good at PR got involved it'd be an absolute godsend for them because clearly their hearts are in the right place.

Correct, and neither am I skilled in it but two minutes thinking would suggest a better (and more honest) way to write the last para would be something like :

'The club have taken a decision which ensures that we go to a stadium with some [25,000] seats of which some 90% are available for Spurs fans. A decision to reverse the tie would have given Spurs fans approximately 10% of this figure (2,100 tickets) and any stadium inside London giving maybe only 8,000 tickets (as all other bigger stadiums are involved in the LC draw).

Whilst we recognise that the location of the stadium is not ideal, we believe that the combination of location and availability of seats is as a good as or better than most other options so there is much to commend it.

The MK Stadium is a muti-use stadium however its core tenant is MK Dons which THST disapproves of due to its change of location from Wimbledon, and some fans will not be happy with this choice'.

Surely this type of statement :
1. Makes it clear that the stadium option chosen is as good or better than others in giving the number of tickets whilst location is not ideal - so fans should recognise this is as good as it gets, any other solution will disappoint as many fans as it pleases

2. Makes the point that THST doesn't like the MK Dons connection to the stadium.

3. Avoids the shitstorm THST created for themselves by suggesting a boycott (my word). If THST were going to suggest this then why did they not include in their survey of fans a question such as
' Do you agree with THST that under no circumstances should the club consider MK Stadium due to its connection to Wimbledon FC ?'
If the survey results came back with a majority if fans supporting either an MK boycott or that fans didn't care, then THST would know if this was a personal thing for THST or a genuine fan concern. As it is, they've made themselves look prats because there is no evidence other than that the MK Dons issue is a personal one and very likely the average fan is not so concerned as to boycott the match (but we'll see)

As an aside I have a friend, now in his 50's who is an AFC Wimbledon fan who I asked about MK Dons who said that he was no longer bothered by MKDons as they long ago returned all the Wimbledon FC trophies to AFC Wimbeledon - but some, probably only a sizeable minority, were still concerned about MK Dons.
Today of course many AFC Wimbledon fans are pleased that they are a league ABOVE MK Dons and have broken ground on their stadium build - so a very changed future for AFC versus MK.
I've yet to ask him how he feels about Kingstoneon whose future is now in doubt from AFC Wimbledon's stadium build....

Roberts was fecked out of the club for a long time it's only recently he has got back in.Fa cup days he could be seen selling his picture with a roppey looking fa cup in the Irish center..(the irony)

Fair enough to bitch about it being an utter pain in the arse to get to
Always curious about where Spurs supporters come from when theyve said this about MK in the past. I guess it might be a long way if you live South London or further but it’s 35mins on the train from Euston.
Yes, I live here but it takes me only an hour from MK station to get to Tottenham High Road.

Always curious about where Spurs supporters come from when theyve said this about MK in the past. I guess it might be a long way if you live South London or further but it’s 35mins on the train from Euston.
Yes, I live here but it takes me only an hour from MK station to get to Tottenham High Road.

It all depends on where is home.

I am about 10 minutes from Tottenham by car and about an hour an a ten minutes from MK by car. And have had regular reasons to go to MK over the past ten years. The M1 is a pain in the Arse, I hate that Motorway and add in the pleasure of the M25 and it can really wear you down quick. But for a one off game.....will be ok.

The train from Euston to MK Central is a breeze although it can be prone to break downs and it’s worth remembering that Stadium MK is in Bletchley rather than MK that can add in some additional complications.

Fair enough, I only use the train. Used to drive down to Spurs but stopped when the M1 started getting really mental (late 90’s).
And the stadium is not much difference in distance from MK Station or Bletchley. And to get to Bletchley you’d have have to get the creeper from Euston. Far easier to nip to Spoons for a few cheap beers just up from MK station and get a cab to the stadium for about £7-£8.

Not that I’m aware of.

I used to work in Centre MK, but used to walk to the station to get the bus from there as less people got on and you were guaranteed to not get turned away as it was too full. Anyway I'm sure I used to see a sign for a stadium MK shuttle bus on one of the stops. Seems I may have been mistaken.

I used to work in Centre MK, but used to walk to the station to get the bus from there as less people got on and you were guaranteed to not get turned away as it was too full. Anyway I'm sure I used to see a sign for a stadium MK shuttle bus on one of the stops. Seems I may have been mistaken.
Not all all, if you’ve seen one then there may well be. I’ll have a look next time I’m there.

Back
Top Bottom