West Ham - League cup game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Very true...what I mean is to take seriously to win each one, not to necessarily come close.
Sure, I kind of got that. I'm being very defensive today, lol.

The thing is the language around football is also driven with the same words every year, "would be nice to run deep in a cup this year". This gets trotted out by every fan of every club at the beginning of the season, obviously most get knock out but even those that get to a semi-final and lose will then rant about being beaten in a semi-final, when the club achieved exactly what they wanted at the beginning of the season.

Meh.... 1st half

Re: The squad stuff... Back 5 were good as gold in the 1st half... Nor did the first half performance suggest what you suspect.

You see how fucking angry Poch looked on the sidelines????

We looked good in the first half partly because West Ham barely did anything useful with the ball, their delivery was awful! 2nd half Bilic had clearly told them to get bodies in the box, what did they have to lose?

I get the anger and the disappointment from the fans, but look at it objectively. Its not as polarised as you make it out. Poch is probably angry at the manner of the defeat, but his post match didn't come across like that and his previous selections in the comp tell me that its by no means a priority.

We looked good in the first half partly because West Ham barely did anything useful with the ball, their delivery was awful! 2nd half Bilic had clearly told them to get bodies in the box, what did they have to lose?

I get the anger and the disappointment from the fans, but look at it objectively. Its not as polarised as you make it out. Poch is probably angry at the manner of the defeat, but his post match didn't come across like that and his previous selections in the comp tell me that its by no means a priority.

'Priority' isnt as black and white as many suggest... I'd wager that if u asked Poch he'd say he picked a team he thought capable of winning.

Its this idea of throwing the comp or being content with such that i find repellent.

(Look, im not raging here... Just a lot of whats being said both pre and post match on here doesnt sit well with me.)

'Priority' isnt as black and white as many suggest... I'd wager that if u asked Poch he'd say he picked a team he thought capable of winning.

Well of course he did. Fact is if it had been a League or a CL game he would have played a stronger side.
Its this idea of throwing the comp or being content with such that i find repellent.

I don't think i ever suggested he threw the game or that i would be happy if he did.

Just that the club has to be pragmatic and part of that is prioritising competitions, and that an apathy towards the comp can certainly manifest itself in the players because of that.

Longest drought without a trophy since WW2.

We're better then that.

Ffs.

Stop repeating media shite, it only serves to give it 'weight'.

The media want us to go back to being a nice little cup side, one that rarely troubles the big boys, doesn't care challenge for anything important but every now and then get a day out at Wembley.

We've had enough 'days out' this season to last a lifetime and it really ain't all that. Poch has his eyes on bigger prizes but some fans are still too 'small time' and think we're only capable of a domestic cup.

With that kind of thinking....

The new idea is that Spurs have to walk before they can run, win the Caribou or Woolwich Cup before being able to win the PL or the CL. More nonsense, bullshit thinking.

I was there last night, I'm disappointed we lost especially as we looked so comfortable at half time. This Sat we have a big game with an even bigger one to follow.

West Ham in the Caribou Cup is small fry by comparison and always will be.

Would you rather get win yesterday, or 3 points against United? If the answer is 3 points, stop moaning ffs. Yes, it was horrible, but with 3 points on saturday this won't matter at all.
Because the world doesnt operate in such reductionist binary options.

We can all pose black/white hypotheticals - would you rather beat West Ham, get to the final and draw against United but pick those two points up later or capitulate to West Ham, beat United but lose a couple of points to lesser teams later? It's like the questions at the end of the podcast about duck-sized horses or horse-sized ducks.

We didn't lose last night because we were prioritising the League, we lost because our players were unprofessional

Well of course he did. Fact is if it had been a League or a CL game he would have played a stronger side.

I don't think i ever suggested he threw the game or that i would be happy if he did.

Just that the club has to be pragmatic and part of that is prioritising competitions, and that an apathy towards the comp can certainly manifest itself in the players because of that.

Fair comments... Not attributing this attutude directly to yourself... Mainly just uncomfortable with the last part... Not saying its not likely, just 'unproffessional'... (Especially cos most should have considered themselves 'playing for the next start').

It does however contradict your previous suggestion, that the skill level of those on the pitch was insufficient.

We went 10 years without a trophy between 1951 and 1961. So not true. :(

It would be longer on this occasion as we would have lifted the trophy in Feb/March 2008. The next available trophy we could win would be May 2018.

Between 1951-1961 I imagine it was pretty much 10 years exact.

But still, it's a long time right?

We either want to be a serious club and manager or we don't.

Yesterday was arrogance beyond acceptance in my book.

So winners in the Kangaroo cup and 17th in the league makes us winners? His job is to finish as high up the league as possible - just like every other manager’s. It’s the PL and the CL that are important these days. Everything else is a sideshow. As has been pointed out many times, woolwich are defined by their league position - not their 3 cups in 4 years.

You might not like it, I might not like it, but it’s the new reality.

Then we will continue as also-rans. No doubt.

Back
Top Bottom