West Ham - League cup game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm still angry, angry I tell you!
I don't care if it is a tin pot cup, Winning becomes a habit and we had that game won last night. Sending out a team of Bertie Big Bollocks for the second half rightly blew up in our faces.
Losing to the shower off the Estate is never acceptable, but to piss a 2 goal lead up the wall, is unforgivable.
I have never ever, subscribed to the theory that a cup is unimportant, we could have been in the 1/4 final and giving squad players some much needed competitive games.
Are Man City, Woolwich or Chelsea, pissed off because they are in the draw? I don't fucking think so!
No manager should ever denigrate a Competition he is about to send a team out to play in, and no player should ever treat it as if it is unimportant.
If our Club believes last night doesn't matter, then I will accept a refund of the good money I spent watching it.
We've won fuck all for ten years and yet we scoff at our best chance of a cup. We are top of our CL Group and have created a winning mentality for the first time in a generation, yet we now think that we can pick and choose competitions that we have failed in, for a decade.
We have once again given the poxy Media a stick with which to beat us, If it's not bottling the League it's our players leaving. If it's not a Wembley hoodoo it's the new ground won't be ready.
We are not Big Time Charlies, nor should we ever be. Time to get real.

I don't care if it is a tin pot cup, Winning becomes a habit and we had that game won last night. Sending out a team of Bertie Big Bollocks for the second half rightly blew up in our faces.
Losing to the shower off the Estate is never acceptable, but to piss a 2 goal lead up the wall, is unforgivable.
I have never ever, subscribed to the theory that a cup is unimportant, we could have been in the 1/4 final and giving squad players some much needed competitive games.
Are Man City, Woolwich or Chelsea, pissed off because they are in the draw? I don't fucking think so!
No manager should ever denigrate a Competition he is about to send a team out to play in, and no player should ever treat it as if it is unimportant.
If our Club believes last night doesn't matter, then I will accept a refund of the good money I spent watching it.
We've won fuck all for ten years and yet we scoff at our best chance of a cup. We are top of our CL Group and have created a winning mentality for the first time in a generation, yet we now think that we can pick and choose competitions that we have failed in, for a decade.
We have once again given the poxy Media a stick with which to beat us, If it's not bottling the League it's our players leaving. If it's not a Wembley hoodoo it's the new ground won't be ready.

You can’t prioritise 4 competitions because that’s not prioritising.

Fucking hell I hope you never end up sitting next to me!

Calm down, man.

Great post.

giphy.gif

I still keep seeing the idea advanced that we cannot compete in all competitions. I call bull on that. We can. We have enough squad depth now that we can play weaker teams in the domestic cups and reserve our top players for the more important games. I find the idea that the PL and CL will be compromised by playing a B team in the league cup to be false. We essentially played a team good enough to win yesterday with players that were almost all rotation players or, as in the case of Dele, had reduced game time due to suspension or . Alderweireld is the only player you can truly say shouldn't perhaps have been playing and should have been saved for the bigger competitions.

We could have won this competition with a rotation squad and not had it impact our PL or CL efforts. Fourth choice silverware is still silverware. It still matters in a sporting sense even if it doesn't matter in a business context. If trying to win it truly harmed our chances in the PL or CL then fair enough ignore it. But the truth is it doesn't.

Gotte be in it to win it as they say...

However.... Fair points, except im not inclined to measure myself against those deluded, spoiled twats.

I celebrated 2008 like a madman... I suspect i wouldnt be any different in 2017.

Must admit it feels rather contradictory that some in this thread see the FACup as somehow another level of worthyness yet will no doubt validate this notion by references to the prestige it held IN THE PAST...
I guarantee that if we go out in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup, more than one poster will be on to tell us it was a blessing in disguise, that the cup doesn't mean anything anyway, that they see "the bigger picture"

I guarantee that if we go out in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup, more than one poster will be on to tell us it was a blessing in disguise, that the cup doesn't mean anything anyway, that they see "the bigger picture"

To be fair. You had some on here praising Poch for prioritising league games over some Champions League group games last season.

Imagine that. Prioritising over CL games so we can qualify for... Erm.. The CL?

It means a lot less than it did, that much is obvious. It was the biggest thing for me when I was a kid, but I’m grown up now.

And it’s called the Emirates FA Cup - if the FA wanted to keep some of its prestige they should never allowed sponsorship. That’s what killed the League Cup.

To be fair. You had some on here praising Poch for prioritising league games over some Champions League group games last season.

No. Prioritising league games because we were trying to win the league, which is our main objective. It’s not difficult to understand.

That makes perfect sense. We have a greater chance of winning the PL than the CL and there is little point in devoting everything to the CL and then finishing in 7th place and then lose out on the CL money the next year.

Personally I see the CL as a luxury financial perk. Being in it for us in the short term is more beneficial than winning it, so it makes sense to prioritise the league both because it is a more likely trophy and it it also increases the chances of CL money. People have been arguing in the thread about the league cup not mattering in terms of business and progression, well, the perfect business model is to prioritise the league because CL football and highest finish possible in the PL is the best formula for results based financial health. That's why, for instance, Stan Kroenke was/is happy for Wenger's remit to be CL qualification.

You remember how mercilessly we laughed out loud out loud at Wenger and the 4th Placed Cup?

Oh, the irony

Back
Top Bottom