What Our Current Squad Cost to Assemble

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting stats, would be good to show this around to the fans who want to go out and spend big on a striker, the last one was Defoe and you aren't happy with him now. Not about spending big just about spending the right amount on a decent player. Cite the examples of Vertonghen for £9m and Lennon for £800,000. Also makes me so happy reading "Tom Carroll, £0" the boy will be a legend one day.

Fucking amazing, really. You go and spend 16 mill on a player who does nothing, then get your longest serving, and still one of your most exciting on his day, players for 800k. Football is crazy.

Such an underrated player by non-Spurs fans (and some Spurs fans) too.

Can't believe he's not being called up for England atm.

Also makes me so happy reading "Tom Carroll, £0" the boy will be a legend one day.

I hope he will.

Can't believe he's not being called up for England atm.

I can, our England squads are largely dictated by the media and then partly by the current manager asking his mates.

I don't believe that Roy actually goes to watch football matches otherwise we would be seeing a very different squad. I actually have it on good authority that Lewington, Pearce and Neville take it in turns to travel to grounds with a grey haired version of this in tow:
TS_airplane_autopilot.jpg

Wasn't the up front, initial fee for Bale £5 million? With appearences and bonuses contributing to the rest? But then in 2008-09 season we gave them another £2 million up front to help with their financial situation? So technically his TRANSFER fee was probably 5 million. As the other £2 million was actually just an extra contribution to get it out of the way sooner and to help the Saints. Correct me of I'm wrong, which I probably am!

1. Drilled in across the 6-yard box
2. Out-swinger with pace

For me, the the 2 things that if lennon mastered he would be first choice RW for all but a couple of teams in europe.

He has everything else, if he had a range of crosses he'd be an almost perfect winger.

1. Drilled in across the 6-yard box
2. Out-swinger with pace

For me, the the 2 things that if lennon mastered he would be first choice RW for all but a couple of teams in europe.

He has everything else, if he had a range of crosses he'd be an almost perfect winger.
He does not. Wingers need to score goals as well and 2-5 goals a season is far from enough...

He does not. Wingers need to score goals as well and 2-5 goals a season is far from enough...

Fair point.

Though I'd make allowances for that if he was producing telling and varied deliveries from the majority of opportunities he has to get the ball in. I also fear that he doesn't have confidence in his own abilities to deliver a ball, (I've never seen him anywhere near a free kick for example) hence he doesn't shoot when you are screaming at the tv for him to just hit it.

:lennon:

I'm not a Lennon hater by any means (the fact that his new smiley has replaced his old one when Bentley is still in 'current smilies' must be an admin oversight, surely (#@Caseout), just want to see more than the by line pull back or chip to the back post that he usually delivers.

Wasn't the up front, initial fee for Bale £5 million? With appearences and bonuses contributing to the rest? But then in 2008-09 season we gave them another £2 million up front to help with their financial situation? So technically his TRANSFER fee was probably 5 million. As the other £2 million was actually just an extra contribution to get it out of the way sooner and to help the Saints. Correct me of I'm wrong, which I probably am!

When we signed Bale we paid £5m and Southampton had a 25% of next sale clause. When they hit financial difficulties and Bale looked like shit we bought that clause for £2m. That clause is now worth about £15m.

Wasn't the up front, initial fee for Bale http://www.myfootballfacts.com/FIFA_U-20_World_Cup_Finals_2013.html? With appearences and bonuses contributing to the rest? But then in 2008-09 season we gave them another £2 million up front to help with their financial situation? So technically his TRANSFER fee was probably 5 million. As the other £2 million was actually just an extra contribution to get it out of the way sooner and to help the Saints. Correct me of I'm wrong, which I probably am!

No, you're spot-on.

I always include all potential "add-ons" in the transfer fees quotes (both incoming and outgoing) as you never really know what activates these clauses or if they were ever paid or not.

In Bale's case, there was a further £5 million to be paid, but Southampton needed cash quickly, so Spurs paid them £2 million as an early and final payment, making the total transfer paid £7 million.

I would be interested to see purchased value against current value (as much as that is difficult to ascertain).

For example Vertonghen has already soared in value but Defoe can't be valued much higher than £8m taking his contract into account.

Fucking amazing, really. You go and spend 16 mill on a player who does nothing, then get your longest serving, and still one of your most exciting on his day, players for 800k. Football is crazy.
Why on earth did we try and sign that clown for an ungodly sum of money when we already had him at the club, absolute bullshit.

When we signed Bale we paid £5m and Southampton had a 25% of next sale clause. When they hit financial difficulties and Bale looked like shit we bought that clause for £2m. That clause is now worth about £15m.

sort of right.

the original deal was circa £10 mil 5 up front with add-ons up to another 5mil. yes they hit financial difficulties, but we settled (and i believe removed the sell on clause) for a total consideration of £8.6mil.

(I used to work with a very dull saints fan who is a little bit 'rain man' about their annual reports)

either way you look at it, he's turned out to be an adequate acquisition.

he's no lennon, but he's one we might want to hold on to. :balesnarl:

Yeah especially when you factors in that they spent £75 million combines on Henderson, Downing and Frankel

Carroll - £35m
Suarez - £22.8
Downing - £20m
Johnson - £18m
Henderson - £16m
Allen - £15m
Sturridge - £12m
Borini - £10.5m
Coutinho - £8.5m
Aspers - £7.7m
Reina - £6m
Skrtl - £6m
Enrique - £5m
Agger - £5m
Lucas - £5m
Assaidi - £2.4m
Jones - £2.3m
Shelvey - £1.7m
Yesil - £1m
Sterling - £600k
Ward - £100k
Gerrad - £0m
Coates - £0m
Suso - £0m
Kelly - £0m
Coady - £0m
Flanagan - £0m
McLaughlin - £0m
Ibe - £0m
Sama - £0m
Wisdom - £0m
Sinclair - £0m
Morgan - £0m
Jones - £0m
Pacheco - £0m
Spearing - £0m
Toure - £0m

Total: £200.6 million

OK, so that list is going by their squad list on Wikipedia and using Soccerbase for transfer fees. I've been very lenient as some of those squad members are pretty spurious as many of them have not really featured and I have not bothered to look for some of the smaller "nominal" fees.

Back
Top Bottom