What the hell is going on behind the scenes in regards to contracts and our players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's just Pochettino showing everyone who's the boss and that no-one is above dropping...it might have fuck all to do with contracts or strops, it could be that he decided from the training session that he would give someone else a go....

What we need now is a training ground ITKer...

A Myriad of things... last one being coach’s prerogative .... surely the effort to second guess the coach is too much? However, I’m inclined to think it’s a message that no one above automatic start (lol, except for Lloris, hk, Eriksen ( although we tried with him today, some might say unsuccessfully! ) if it raises jans game then great, if it doesn’t , jans not the player we want ( tough but true)

I have no idea what’s going on.... but.....

GIVE SUPER JAN A DEAL!!

Last year he kept Sancho under wraps whilst looking like the worlds best LEFT WING BACK!!

If that doesn’t show he’s fighting fit and ready to have a few more years at the top - what does?!

:vertna::vert:

Poch May have dropped Jan for tactical reasons but if that were the case I’m pretty sure he’d have been dropped to the bench only, not left out the squad altogether.
could have been a breach of club rules or a straight forward falling out.
Either way I hope it’s sorted out soon.

Poch May have dropped Jan for tactical reasons but if that were the case I’m pretty sure he’d have been dropped to the bench only, not left out the squad altogether.
could have been a breach of club rules or a straight forward falling out.
Either way I hope it’s sorted out soon.
Whatever he did, I hope he's learnt his lesson...a lesson for the rest of the squad too...

The only fact we know is that we don't know why JV was dropped. Personally, all I know is that he's too good a player to lose - give him a new, good deal and don't mess him about.

I am worried. To lose eriksen, Toby and Jan for free in one summer would be awful.

I understand at their age we don't want to be giving them long term huge deals but taking three huge players out of our team in one go is not good.

And even that doesn't explain jans absence. The only time when I can recall him being anything less than the ultimate pro is under Sherwood which to be fair drove me to the point of insanity and I didn't have to deal with the cunt so I give Jan a pass on that one.

Poch has shown he will play Toby even though his blatantly going so I'm really concerned that he and Jan have had a falling out. Especially with the European window still open.

Also strange we didn't go for a centre back this summer. Unless Eric dier is going to be converted back maybe?

There is absolutely no way he has dropped Vertonghen for depth purposes, has he ever done that before? Especially considering he has been playing verts all preseason.

It's as obvious as a slap in the face that something is going on, he didn't even make the bench and if you watch Poch after the match during his interview it's even more obvious.

You say I am freaking out for no reason but we already have two players running down their contracts, that's my reason for having concerns about Jan, he has said he wants to sign a new contract and now he's suddenly dropped for "depth reasons" after playing the entire preseason and being excited to start the season with us?

Yeah, not buying it.
Yeah it's total bullshit from Poch. On the bench would be surprising but sat up in the stands because he's not even in the squad...a tactical choice? Nah Poch, nah, don't lie to me.

Look at all the childish idiots that immediately jump on me for making this thread because they already dislike me because I dared to say during that transfer window that we needed to sign players.

And because now I am saying we need to keep our best players like Jan and that's it's clear something not quite right is going on they are immediately calling me negative again showing their pathetic little agendas.

And funny enough, it was a player that we signed who scored our first goal yesterday which led us to victory as well so I was incredibly wrong in my assesment of us needing to sign players apparently, what a negative cunt I am for wanting the team I support to improve or not lose its best players.

Interesting theory but just so full of holes ...

We've offered all three of these players new contracts, all three have so far declined to sign, how do we know that because all three have confirmed that.

So to say "offer him a contract" is pretty damn stupid, we clearly already have.

Of course we have no idea what those offers were but we can make a pretty good guess. We have signed new contracts with eleven players in the last 12 months (the most in the EPL) those include Kane, Dele, Son all highly sort after superstars ... does anyone believe they all signed on massively less than the going rate? So only a fool would assume we haven't offered the three hold-outs at least a decent deal ...

That's not to say they will be Chinese or PSG type wages, they won't be .... the EPL simply can't carry ageing pros on 500k a week - look at Sanchez, Ozil, Mata, Mkhi all hitting 30 all bleeding clubs dry - if you have players on 10/15m a year they simply have to be at their best ... that risk of failure is massive.

Toby will be 31 when his contract runs out, is that worth a two year 20m gamble?
Jan will be 33 when his contract runs out, is that worth a two year 20m gamble?
Eriksen will be 28 whole different ball game ... and believe me we've been trying.

So Poch must suspect (and ho obviously knows more than we do) that 1,2 of these player are not going to be with us possibly in two weeks he has to think long term not game by game ...

Not playing Jan for 90 minutes to give Sanchez a valuable 90 minutes in a game where we all knew the defence would have bugger all to do. That makes perfect sense .... not on the bench? clearly Poch knows something we don't.

But to say
Even if it has nothing to do with other players signing contracts something clearly isn't right
Is about as wide of the mark as you can get - 11 new contracts, 4 new transfers, a world class player upset he couldn't join us - yeah it's all going horribly wrong ...

:pocheyes: :dempsey: :kaneshh::kaneshh::kaneshh:

Last edited:
I was so relieved when the transfer window shut, I thought all this shit from you would stop.....then this 3 days later. FFS

"I thought after the transfer window shut I could come to a public forum where people have a wide range of opinions and no longer expect to see things I disagree with but here I am, yet again, feeling the need to comment on something I disagree with, without giving any reason why, simply because I want to show everyone else on the forum that agrees with me that I still have a personal bias against the poster because I am too childish to behave like an adult"

Nothing I have said in the OP is unreasonable, the point of this thread was to share my concerns about how we have two of our best players already running down their contracts and now a third player that has been benched for no apparent reason whatsoever.

But you know, keep crying into your cornflakes by all means about how my posts are somehow ruining your forum experience because they don't pander to your delusions or match up with your own personal views.

Interesting theory but just full of holes ...

We've offered all three of these players new contracts, all three have so far declined to sign, how do we know that because all three have confirmed that.

So to say "offer him a contract" is pretty stupid, we clearly already have.

Of course we have no idea what those offers were but we can make a pretty good guess. We have signed new contracts with eleven players in the last 12 months (the most in the EPL) those include Kane, Dele, Son all highly sort after superstars ... does anyone believe they all signed on massively less than the going rate? So only a fool would assume we haven't offered the three hold-outs decent deals ...

That's not to say they will be Chinese or PSG type wages, they won't be .... the EPL simply can't carry ageing pros on 500k a week - look at Sanchez, Ozil, Mata, Mkhi all hitting 30 all bleeding clubs dry - if you have players on 10/15m a year they have to be at their best ... the risk is massive.

Toby will be 31 when his contract runs out is that worth a two year 20m gamble?
Jan will be 33 when his contract runs out is that worth a two year 20m gamble?
Eriksen will be 28 whole different ball game ... and believe me we've been trying.

So Poch must suspect (and ho obviously knows more than we do) that 1,2 of these player are not going to be with us possibly in two weeks he has to think long term not game by game ...

Not playing Jan for 90 minutes to give Sanchez a valuable 90 minutes in a game where we all knew the defence would have bugger all to do. That makes perfect sense .... not on the bench? clearly Poch knows something we don't.

But to say

Is about as wide of the mark as you can get - 11 new contracts 4 new transfers, a world class player upset he couldn't join us - yeah it's all going horribly wrong ...

:pocheyes: :dempsey: :kaneshh::kaneshh::kaneshh:

And answer me this, why would all three players decline to sign a contract? Especially one who said just last week how he want a to stay at spurs because he loves the club?

Has it ever occurred to you, in your mind, that the person offering the contracts, isn't giving the players what they rightly deserve for their efforts since they have been at the club? Does that scenario even flash through your mind? Or is it simply all down to the players and their greed? And nothing whatsoever to do with our inability to see the bigger picture?

I am not suggesting we pay them £20m for two years, where did you even get that figure from? Also the problem with the bolded is that it works on the assumption these players are easy to replace, which they are not and Eriksen showed his value to the club yesterday in just 26 mins and considering how shambolic our defending was yesterday, I would say Jan showed his value as well.

See this is the thing, it's incredibly illogical when people say "Just sell Eriksen, we don't need players like that at our club holding us to ransom" here's the reality, we DO need players like that at our club, irrespective of what they want because THEY are the reason we are where we are and if they were easy to replace then we would have already done it.

I didn't say things were all going horribly wrong behind the scenes, I am saying that we aren't valuing our biggest assets correctly and we will end up regretting it imo.

Talking about Eriksen, Aderweireld, Trippier and soon to be Aurier in general.

Are you happy that they can leave before the window shuts and we are short?
It'll not matter what I think, there's fuck all I can do about it either way, but it's like they say, it's all about the badge on the front, not the names on the back...

And answer me this, why would all three players decline to sign a contract? Especially one who said just last week how he want a to stay at spurs because he loves the club?

Has it ever occurred to you, in your mind, that the person offering the contracts, isn't giving the players what they rightly deserve for their efforts since they have been at the club? Does that scenario even flash through your mind? Or is it simply all down to the players and their greed? And nothing whatsoever to do with our inability to see the bigger picture?

I am not suggesting we pay them £20m for two years, where did you even get that figure from? Also the problem with the bolded is that it works on the assumption these players are easy to replace, which they are not and Eriksen showed his value to the club yesterday in just 26 mins and considering how shambolic our defending was yesterday, I would say Jan showed his value as well.

See this is the thing, it's incredibly illogical when people say "Just sell Eriksen, we don't need players like that at our club holding us to ransom" here's the reality, we DO need players like that at our club, irrespective of what they want because THEY are the reason we are where we are and if they were easy to replace then we would have already done it.

I didn't say things were all going horribly wrong behind the scenes, I am saying that we aren't valuing our biggest assets correctly and we will end up regretting it imo.

Eriksen is obviously a totally different case, he's 4 years younger so 200k a week 42m over four years is a no brainer ... just what makes you think we haven't offered that or more? Harry is on that already ...

To put Toby and Jan in the same category at 30 and 32 respectively, sorry but that's just stupid.

But enough guesswork you tell us what salary you are suggesting is sufficient? let's put some real numbers to your crazy theories ...

You said "something clearly isn't right" and you said it after 11 players in 12 months had signed new contracts and four quality players had just joined us ... so what exactly is clearly not right?

I am speculating

No shit.

What a pointless thread. Zero evidence to back any of your flapping.

Perhaps his gerbil just died and his head wasnt right.

Perhaps hed just had a boil lasered off his arse.

Perhaps it wasn't the real Jan but a life model decoy. The real Jan was in space battling alien invaders.

Perhaps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom