Where I'm at after yesterday...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watched Bale's apparent dive dozens of times today on replay, and I've come to the conclusion that, while I hate to see him dive, it should have been a penalty anyways as Gibbs' tackle was fucking wreckless and stupid.

durbanspur said:
Reptile_16 said:
I think in stages of grief (is this the same as the stages of death?) you're still in denial mate.

And please if we're quoting Bill lets have it in full:

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here
The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"

shakespeare at his finest...

We received a reply in tennis balls last Sunday. Those in Red shall pay this weekend! Follow your spirit and upon this charge. Cry 'God for Tottenham, Come On YOU Spurs!'

i will never forget that henry v speech as long as i live.
it was the play we studied in my final year of english in high school.
that speech alone was was more than 50% of the papers mark, and then after i aced that test
i got to go down to the pub and watch spurs kill bolton 6-0 in a cup match. (including a ferdinand hatrick)

Tell you where I'm at.

In a small and bizarre way, I've got my Tottenham back.

The weekend showed to me that I would rather lose and keep my integrity of knowing 'we only get what we deserve' than somehow fall into the trap of believing somehow 'we deserve more than we get'.

So they've all come out of the woodwork, fine, let them have their little moment. And whilst watching the game was painful, it was not entirely unexpected.

If the team wants to win, they have to work harder and be better, the game isn't played on paper.

And as Dan and Tim in their away day to West Brom prove, do we realy want to become the very thing we hate:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lqzWvwLGCg[/youtube]

Whilst it is hard for some to fathom how the following may apply, it still does, and it's the reason I will still support a team who is equally capable of causing me pain and it does joy.

And above all else, whilst we aspire to achieve, form me it is important that we have to keep our integrity. Because in integrity you can find the glory:

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

Thelonious said:
great post tricky, I'm still absolutely fucking devastated though.
embrace the pain, you know you are alive, and not made of plastic.

Plus given the timing of of spurs two recent poor performances coinciding with important events elsewhere in my life (as per: http://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/we-re-fucking-doomed-t1250.html ) I have to have hope, because I've got a very dull, unexciting and generally boring existence happening for the next three months.

Superstitious? me? Fucking hope so.

:bae:

Thanks for the OP. Thanks for the quote from Henry V. Remember, Spurs fans, we have a special connection to Henry V, since, according to Shakespeare, our very namesake (Henry Hotspur) was killed by him when they were but young men.

We few, we happy few, We Tottenham s'pporters!

I am still bummed about Sunday. But this came in the mail today, and, as ridiculous as it sounds, and though it enriches Ashley, etc., I fucking smiled, DAMMIT and got happy and excited and loving the shirt(s) and all that important shit that is more important than letting some scummy gooners get under my skin.

THAT IS ALL

[centre]COME ON YOU SPURS
Amu1Da9CEAAOIm8.jpg
[/centre]

No one told me there would be a mug. I was completely confused and certain the order was messed up when there was a box in the DHL bag. It holds well over half a litre. More than an imperial pint. Something like 600mL. Geordies…

Considering the only heat treated drinking vessel in my abode that remains intact is a pyrex half litre measuring cup, it was a welcome surprise.

OK first post so please be gentle.........

I am still bitterly disappointed with Sundays shenanigans, but have now drawn a few positives out of the whole sordid affair......

1: Maybe after the Stevenage game and THAT game, the FA might be thinking twice about Harry for england

2: The way those fickle gooner muppets work, arsen is now a hero again and they wont sack him after all (yipee, he is doing a fu*king great job in my eyes)

3: After such a dismal and poor collapse of spirt displayed by the whole team at the weekend, they should come out and annihilate them manc twats this weekend coming (fingers crossed cos we all know liverfool will spank the scum 6 ways from Sunday)

A few other things of note that have surfaced in my mind are; Bale, stick to the fu*king left side u clown, stop trying to go all over the show. Your position is on the left, STAY THERE!.
Adabywhore; why did we ship out crouch to replace him with another crouch?, we have THE best midfield in the prem, yet insist on a 12 foot tall, gangly, bow legged goon upfront so we can pump a long ball up the field and bypass our strongest area. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE will u give defoe a chance to shine. I would rather have a small, fast, skillfull forward(s) that gets balls played to his feet opposed to sailing over his head for the oppositions defence to mop up and clear.

Am I the only one who thinks VdV is a tad greedy?

As I say, please dont flame me to oblivion, yes it is my first post, and yes I know there are many that will disagree with my views but I only found the site the other day after a referral from a friend (great site btw!)

All the Best!!

COYS

I should leave the pleasantries to the Rank and File here, but hello mate. Nice first rant. :biggrin:

Unless it emerges that Levy is (/has) putting Harry on a watertight contract in the very near future, he is going to England. To think otherwise is akin to the stages of denial we're all going through post the goon game.

Whether we like it or not Wenger has carefully managed them to fourth place with the possibility of CL football next season. A few years ago in the sam position we'd have been delirious with an outcome like that.

As I think I've offered elsewhere, the next game will be as much played in players' minds as on the pitch, so many lapses in concentration and poor decision made on Sunday and it cost us.

Bale on the left - agreed.

Bit harsh on Adebayor, I think he offers so much more in terms of pace, touch and the ability to play football and I don't believe it has been our #1 tactic with him in the side. The partnership with Saha will be important for the run-in though.

Yes, vdV is a tad greedy but if I were him and I knew I had that ability level I'd be a tad greedy too...

Don't agree with the Crouch/Adebayor part of the rant at all. Bale's recent (ish) change in role isn't working, preferred him switching with the right than him moving inside.

I hear where your all coming from with the crouch/adabywhore thing. My comment wasnt meant to slate ady at all, more a statement of the style of play a tall CF gives the team. I (personal preference only) would rather small, fast, skillful CF's (not to say he will ever play for us) like messi, as I believe we have the skill required in midfield to service a player of that type. We have defoe sitting there twiddling his thumbs, and whilst he is no messi, he still has a shitload to offer the club and football in general.

The future is still bright at the lane (even without harry), we have the team, the skill and the confidence to take on any one at the moment, and while we might not win every game (no one does), we still have the potential in bucket loads to press for top tier football on both the domestic and European stage.

I have said from day 1 (this season) i would be over the moon with 3rd in the leauge. That said i would be over the moon with 17th, as long as the scum were 18th............in fact I would take that over 3rd cos we would still be a prem club and the scum would be relegated lol

Still keeping the smile on my face and the lillywhite shirt on my back!

COYS

I think the problem with relying only on small, quick strikers is that we use pace down the wings and balls whipped in a lot, so you want some height in the box. As you say, Bale is not using that aspect of his game enough now, but still generally width is a part of our style.***

Sunday, we didn't use the midfield to develop decent counter-attacks. But I think that's more down to trying to play counter-attacking football with 4-4-2. It doesn't suit.

Edit - welcome btw, nice first posts

*** just thought of the cross at City that Defoe couldn't reach. Longer legs and we'd have won it!

We just need a clinical striker, doesn't matter about height as Adebayor hasn't scored with he's head(I think).

Sean said:
We just need a clinical striker, doesn't matter about height as Adebayor hasn't scored with he's head(I think).

enter klaas jan huntelaar. clinical finisher, strong on both feet, powerful in the air,
top goal scorer in the bundesliga at the moment, young and looking to come to the epl.
class in both club and national games, why we havent snapped him up i dont know.

durbanspur said:
Sean said:

enter klaas jan huntelaar. clinical finisher, strong on both feet, powerful in the air,
top goal scorer in the bundesliga at the moment, young and looking to come to the epl.
class in both club and national games, why we havent snapped him up i dont know.

Huntelaar is 29 in August.

Back
Top Bottom