Which cheap striker would you go for?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which cheap striker would you go for?

• Troy Deeney

• Josh King

• Olivier Giroud

• Habib Diallo

• Chris Wood

• Ollie Watkins

Results are only viewable after voting.
With Callum Wilson now off to Newcastle and only a few days to go until our season starts with our jam packed schedule, which shit bargain striker would you go for out of these five options if given the choice?

The Contenders

Troy Deeney

Club: Watford
Stats last season: 27 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 5.85m

Josh King
Club: Bournemouth
Stats last season: 27 games, 6 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):14.4m

Olivier Giroud
Club: Chelsea
Stats last season: 25 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):6.3m

Habib Diallo
Club: FC Metz
Stats last season: 27 games, 12 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 10.8m

Chris Wood
Club: Burnley
Stats last season: 35 games, 14 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 13.05m

Ollie Watkins
Club: Brentford
Stats last season: 50 games, 26 goals
Estimated fee (according to press): 25m

I haven't included other options such as Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani as lets be honest those two are on a different level to these guys and aren't in the bargain bin category in terms of wages. Also seems Costa will be going to Italy.

Personally in my order of preference I would go

1. Wood
2. Watkins
3. Giroud
4. Diallo
5. Deeney
6. King

Last edited:
With Callum Wilson now off to Newcastle and only a few days to go until our season starts with our jam packed schedule, which shit bargain striker would you go for out of these five options if given the choice?

The Contenders

Troy Deeney

Club: Watford
Stats last season: 27 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 5.85m

Josh King
Club: Bournemouth
Stats last season: 27 games, 6 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):14.4m

Olivier Giroud
Club: Chelsea
Stats last season: 25 games, 10 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt):6.3m

Habib Diallo
Club: FC Metz
Stats last season: 27 games, 12 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 10.8m

Chris Wood
Club: Burnley
Stats last season: 35 games, 14 goals
Estimated fee (according to transfermarkt): 13.05m

I haven't included other options such as Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani as lets be honest those two are on a different level to these guys and aren't in the bargain bin category in terms of wages. Also seems Costa will be going to Italy.

Personally in my order of preference I would go

1. Wood
2. Giroud
3. Diallo
4. Deeney
5. King

Can you add Watkins to the poll?

I prefer Watkins who I think fits in this group of players but of all the ones listed I went with Wood.

He consistently scored double digit goals for a Burnley team that is not exactly brimming with offensive talents. I think that his size and aerial ability would work well for our second team set up that might need to play a more simple long ball game because of lack of training time to work on specific tactics for their games.

He should have no issue bullying the Eastern European and League 1 defenders we will be going against and helping set up balls for guys like Lamela. Moura, Alli running into the box. That aerial ability would also obviously help if we are down a goal late and need to generate some offense against a packed in tight defense.

Not ideal if Kane is out for awhile but I think at worst equal to any of the guys listed if not better than them all.

1. Watkins
2. Wood
3. Giroud
4. King
5. Diallo
60000000. Deeney

Last edited:
Wood for me, he's a unit that can hold the ball up long enough for others to come into play.
I wouldn't be upset if Costa came. He's a cunt and we are in dier need of cunt

I voted for Watkins. He's a little more expensive than some, but he's younger and I think looks good. I don't want Deeney. If we get anyone from Watford, I'm hoping it's Sarr...but I'm not holding my breath.

Intelligent cunts though. I've always thought of Costa as more of a stupid cunt.
I dunno about that. I know he looks like a semi developed neandethal, but hasn't he typically got a reasonable yellow/red record?
I doubt he would score many goals, but I reckon he could fluster defenders enough that other players get chances. It's a bit old school, but I'm for it.
It doesn't have to be him, but he seems to be available.

The main worry is that, being over 60, he might not recover from C19

I voted for Watkins. He's a little more expensive than some, but he's younger and I think looks good. I don't want Deeney. If we get anyone from Watford, I'm hoping it's Sarr...but I'm not holding my breath.

Dont you will die.

Wood or Watkins for me, Watkins can play right across the front but its a big step up from the Championship, I go with Wood... no Watkins, anyone of the 2 would do.

1. Watkins (risky, but hey, most trfs carry an element of risk somewhere....?)
2. Wood (proper handful)
3. Giroud (but how long can those legs last)

Know fuck all about Diallo.

A bit of statistical analysis for those that are that way inclined. Some of these aren't as relevant so of course taking it with a pinch of salt.

From this we see that King is more of a creative option, excelling in pass completion and assists but failing to get many shots at goal and rarely finding the net. Also not as good in the air.

Deeney on the other hand was incredible in the air but 50% of his passes are given to the opposition, his goal stats are also helped by scoring quite a few pens.

Giroud scores the most regularly but contributes little else, essentially just being a great finisher that offers little in open play.

Diallo is a target man, winning a lot of aerial duels and managing to get away a lot of shots, one of the more well rounded options but of course is an unknown quantity playing in Ligue 1.

Wood is another well rounded option, scores more goals and is also good in the air.

Watkins mixes together King's creative traits with Giroud's goalscoring qualities, but is not as good in the air as the others (which is one of Jose's most desired assets for this role). Also keep in mind he and Diallo were the only players that weren't playing in a top flight league.

StatDeeneyKingGiroudDialloWoodWatkins
Mins per goal
223​
183​
175​
165​
Assists
2​
3​
1​
3​
Shots pg