Which Tottenham Player Has Done Way Better Than Expected

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watching old games I saw a game between Spurs and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the mid-80s that I was almost certainly at.
Playing up front for Spurs was David Leworthy ... total blank, I have no memory of him at all.

Michael Brown.
He helped us stay up but was so pleased when he left.

Read the thread title..... Your failure to do so renders your 'I've never been wrong about a player' boast seriously lacking in credibility.

I'd add this guy to my list, simply because of the fact he was so highly rated as a kid and after his loans etc. I thought it was never going to work out for him due to his physique.

Ended up an England player and maybe would have kicked on a bit apart from horrendous luck with injuries before he went to get more playing time and then the disaster I still can barely bear to think about at Hull. Gets far too much stick from some IMO.

This is a great article I've not seen linked here before...

I'd add this guy to my list, simply because of the fact he was so highly rated as a kid and after his loans etc. I thought it was never going to work out for him due to his physique.

Ended up an England player and maybe would have kicked on a bit apart from horrendous luck with injuries before he went to get more playing time and then the disaster I still can barely bear to think about at Hull. Gets far too much stick from some IMO.

This is a great article I've not seen linked here before...

Big Mason fan..... But did better than expected?

As per your comments (and I'd agree) if anything things could have hone much better.

I love that he at least got capped.

Big Mason fan..... But did better than expected?

As per your comments (and I'd agree) if anything things could have hone much better.

I love that he at least got capped.
Point being he was so rated as a youth and then didn't breakthrough until he was 23, after all the loans (France etc.) I'd thought there was a fair chance of him not making it, so he did better in the first team than I ever expected.

Point being he was so rated as a youth and then didn't breakthrough until he was 23, after all the loans (France etc.) I'd thought there was a fair chance of him not making it, so he did better in the first team than I ever expected.
Think that’s referred to in the article McDermott didn’t expect him to be first team ready until 23 physically. However I am not sure if he over-achieved or under-achieved. I think he probably made the most of his ability and just lacked that extra something to bring him on to that top level but other days I think he could have done more. I know that despite having chav family he truly was one of us and he left everything he had on the pitch for us.

Watching old games I saw a game between Spurs and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the mid-80s that I was almost certainly at.
Playing up front for Spurs was David Leworthy ... total blank, I have no memory of him at all.
He won a young player award at a Supporters' Club do back then. IIRC, he was a purchase from a non league club and was quite a prolific goal scorer at that level. Obviously, that was his level, he never made it for us.

Currently its got to be Son, never heard of him when he came along and boy has he become a superstar
That’s a fair point , his first season he frustrated me so much, and I’m ashamed to admit I would have been happy for him to go , but just goes to show some players take longer to adjust to the team and league

Back
Top Bottom