Why is our academy so shit?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So I’m getting:
Utd, Lingard, Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, James

Chelsea, James, Odoi, Cheek, Abraham

Woolwich, Willock, Holding

Liverpool, Arnold

City, Foden

Leicester, Grey, Vardy

Spurs, Kane, Winks, Skipp, Tanaganga

What am I missing here?

I am biased, but I like our guys the best

We are also guilty of not poaching enough emerging talent from other academies.
Newcastle just bought Reagan Thomson from Queens Park up in Glasgow. I heard they paid a couple o hundred grand. Fucken steal.
Hibs has a good academy as well. We should be sniffing around these lesser clubs all the time.
Chelsea got Gilmour out of Rangers as soon as they could. Now he's fucken strolling through the premier League like he fucken owns the place.

So I’m getting:
Utd, Lingard, Rashford, Greenwood, Mctominay, James

Chelsea, James, Odoi, Cheek, Abraham

Woolwich, Willock, Holding

Spurs, Kane, Winks, Skipp, Tanaganga

What am I missing here?
You forgot some players here but ok. More interessting for me is the current situation and this is a bigger concern. If you compare the youngsters from the last 3 years:

Spurs: KWP, Skipp, Tangana

Chelsea: Abraham, Musonda, Tomori, CHO, Mount, James, Gilmor

Woolwich: Maitland-Niles, Nkethia, Saka, Willock, Nelson, Smith-Rowe

United: McTomminay, Perreira, Greenwood, Wiliams, Chong

So much more potential in these Clubs. I mean Chelsea invested a lot in the youth setup and I think this pays out now. Woolwich changed the whole youth setup with new coaches and a new philosphie. And from what I read these clubs have also a lot of promising youngsters in the youth teams > Also Liverpool and City.

I think our academy (now the Training ground is fully up and running) will only attract more and more talent in the next few years... by all accounts it (along with the Ground) is second to none in WORLD football, let alone Europe...
young players will be desperate to come and train there...

But they're not ready yet!! :mourthumb:

Our hit rate over the last decade is probably similar to other clubs of our size and stature. I would say the only outlier is Chelsea.

Who have actually built their academy upon a rule-breaking youth recruitment policy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom