Why is There a Shortage of good English Managers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Potter turned us down, at least that was the gossip.

But yeah, not many at all.

I think it will change quite rapidly over the next few years, due to so many good academies now.

We (England) have far more good young footballers coming through from the youth now, there is so much more money being ploughed into that level now it's inevitable. There will be a bit of a lag, but it will also lead to many more good young coaches and then managers.

I think there will be lot more like Kieran Macguire coming through. Doing a very good job at Ipswich, very well regarded while at Spurs and MUFC.

I think it’s only about 25 coaches a very 18 months do the pro license.

And you’re right I think that trickle through of younger managers is starting to be seen.

It’s good these guys are getting good experience at lower levels rather than just being a high profile name catapulted into the PL.

I really like Gary O'Neil and think a top club could take a chance on him.

The issue is the Big 6 clubs in England (apart from us) always tend to hire managers with a winning CV. Managers who have won titles in the top leagues and/or champions leagues.

And when they do gamble, i.e Chelsea and Potter they don't tend to get much time at all.

I also admire Dyche, his style of football might be painful on the eye but its a results industry. Keeping Burnley in the top flight as long as he did was a massive achievement.

But there is a lot of snobbery against British managers, usually from the XG, tikki takka crowd

We are on the same page apart from this bit.

Fine to do this for community level, mass participation sports so you have a larger pool.

But Sport is about winning and you ALWAYS want the best coach. I refuse to believe the best coach for elite sports can't be black (or any other ethnicity), especially when there have been so many incredible black players. If I'm honest it feels racist to me to say you are hiring coaches because they are from an ethnic minority and not because they are the best coach. The message you are sending is still a type of racism because you are still saying it's about their racial identity and not their ability.
Well, again, the incentive is tied to hiring and developing a minority coach who is hired for a role that can be defined as a promotion by another club. So you're not just hiring any minority to get them on the books, it's fundamentally different than affirmative action.

And, look, it's demonstrably worked to crack what was the most racist coaching structure in professional sports. 4 minority head coaches were hired in the NFL this off-season for tye first time in history. 9 clubs will have a minority head coach next season, 28% of the league. There are more minority coaches and position coaches than there have ever been in history, so those numbers will only continue to increase.

I've proposed a system which has already solved a very similar problem in a similar industry. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of diversity driven hiring - it can definitely go wrong. But "the best coach can be black" hasn't worked and isn't working.

I think coaches need grounding like players and they need to appreciate other styles of play, other cultures, personalities, get them out of their comfort zone into an enviroment etc...Let's just say that English managers really need to be humbled and go and cut their teeth and learn about different cultures, people, styles and learn about struggle before they get into management, it's why Graham Potter was able to come into the PL and prove himself, it's why Eddie Howe returned a better manager when he went abroad and learnt how to deal with these things.

I don't see many English managers doing that and TBH I don't blame them when the money is in England and the PL is really the holy land where everyone wants to be.

Well, again, the incentive is tied to hiring and developing a minority coach who is hired for a role that can be defined as a promotion by another club. So you're not just hiring any minority to get them on the books, it's fundamentally different than affirmative action.

And, look, it's demonstrably worked to crack what was the most racist coaching structure in professional sports. 4 minority head coaches were hired in the NFL this off-season for tye first time in history. 9 clubs will have a minority head coach next season, 28% of the league. There are more minority coaches and position coaches than there have ever been in history, so those numbers will only continue to increase.

I've proposed a system which has already solved a very similar problem in a similar industry. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of diversity driven hiring - it can definitely go wrong. But "the best coach can be black" hasn't worked and isn't working.

I didn’t say “the best coach can be black” is a way to solve the issue. That is the mindset we need. Finding ways to remove the cultural barriers and maintain the meritocracy is the goal. That’s all I’m saying.

I don't know if this has already been pointed out, but isn't it just selection bias?

i.e. there are many more countries than England from which we can import managers with experience of success at a high level. Whereas we can only choose from one here, or more if you count lower-leagues.

So, there isn't a shortage, the amount is just relatively small.

Back
Top Bottom