Wolves (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

-There are numerous dictionaries and they're not identical. Plus the work of a dictionary is to collect the meanings they find in use, not to tell people which meaning is proper

-In some countries following The Enlightenment they created official language institutions (like France), they tried codifying languages but they find themselves chasing the native speakers constantly (e.g. the French spelling reform two years ago).

-don't quite get the thing about sounding the same and meaning. two words can be written in the same way but pronounced differently (US to UK version of herb), two words could be written differently but denote to the same meaning 'pants'-'trousers'. The point here is the 'fucking hell' and 'fucken hell' mean exactly the same thing.

-most academic linguists would even doubt the existence of solid grammar for a language let alone rigid spelling rules, the only interest in misspelling is when it is accompanied by some learning disability (knowing the specific lingual conventions but failing to implement them).

-fucken and fucking are different words, the point was that none was more valid than the other to use. you don't err when you write fucken and you're Scottish, like the American doesn't err when he says gas instead of petrol.

-I'm not a native English speaker but I'm guilty of doing this in Hebrew. Correcting spelling 'mistakes' is often a condescending act that allows you to humiliate and disregard the other side without actually listening to what they had to say. Someone is not inherently stupid because he writes 'innit', and spelling correction is a social tool for silencing them or others.

No, no, no. Your last paragraph is daft. You don’t seem to be able to differentiate between written dialogue and correct spelling - entirely different things. You obviously make an effort to spell words correctly when you post on here and the reason is that you want to be taken seriously. Your attention to detail literally undermines your entire argument. I read recently that you were applying for an academic post at a number of British Universities. Were you brave enough to apply your theory in the application process? Or did you have a dictionary open at every step just to make sure that every word you submitted was dictionary perfect? I’d suggest the latter was true.

You might be a cavalier on here, but in the real world you’re as hide bound as the rest of of us. You want to spell correctly because you don’t want to appear stupid - especially in the eyes of people who are in a position to give you a job.

No, no, no. Your last paragraph is daft. You don’t seem to be able to differentiate between written dialogue and correct spelling - entirely different things. You obviously make an effort to spell words correctly when you post on here and the reason is that you want to be taken seriously. Your attention to detail literally undermines your entire argument. I read recently that you were applying for an academic post at a number of British Universities. Were you brave enough to apply your theory in the application process? Or did you have a dictionary open at every step just to make sure that every word you submitted was dictionary perfect? I’d suggest the latter was true.

You might be a cavalier on here, but in the real world you’re as hide bound as the rest of of us. You want to spell correctly because you don’t want to appear stupid - especially in the eyes of people who are in a position to give you a job.
That’s true Joe, but my point was that I don’t (or at least try hard) corrrect others’ spelling mistakes.

Watched the game again last night as i couldn't sleep. Was a much more pleasant experience without the pressure of expecting us to fuck it up at any minute and could be analysed without the corrupted "Shadow of Spursiness" hanging over me.

Wolves are a very good side, they pass the ball very well and will give most teams in the league a game at home but like most teams outside the top 6 that can play football they lack the clinical edge of players that can finish. Lucky for us, when they did get shots away, Hugo kept us in it. Add to that a goal that should have stood i feel that we got away with this one.

The Dembele injury fucked up our flow it has to be said. Everyone knows Wolves game plan - get the ball wide and if its not on switch the ball to stretch play and attempt to isolate the full backs. But because of our injury problems in the middle its debatable wither Poch could have done much to counter it. Trippier was obviously expecting cover from Winks or Sissoko when he was out of position, but at 3-0 up did he really need to be continually caught on the hop? Our unwillingness to shut up shop and see games out when leading (perhaps coming from a lack of confidence in our defending) continues to boggle my mind.

I was looking forward to seeing us finally move the ball with some attacking intent, which we have shown glimpses of with Eriksen and Alli back in the team. Obviously Poch is being cautious looking forward at the fixture list which is understandable. But even without them we played the ball nicely. I'm confident that with them back in the team we can break anyone down.

Conceding goals is a separate issue. Cover at DM in January has to happen. And god forbid whoever comes in if they don't settle and look world class immediately.

:pocheyes:

Lamela has been very good, but i still cannnot have sissoko sorry. He has been better than usual granted, but he's usually completely hopeless and now he's just bang average at best. I think I'm being a bit generous with that statement tv. But this is a game of opinions, and that's why we all love it

“Completely hopeless”

:pochfacepalm:

The fact that the guy in turn acknowledges his improvement kinda renders that notion moot, i'd say.

As soon as his name is mentioned too many people instantly revert to being negative instead of basking in his clear improvement as I do
Personally I love to see him driving at the opposing defence even if he ends up losing possession

This happened on Saturday several times when we were really under the cosh at 3-2 and gave our defence and midfield valuable time to regroup

As soon as his name is mentioned too many people instantly revert to being negative instead of basking in his clear improvement as I do
Personally I love to see him driving at the opposing defence even if he ends up losing possession

This happened on Saturday several times when we were really under the cosh at 3-2 and gave our defence and midfield valuable time to regroup

I won't deny i was dismayed at his signing, but aside from his dumb sending off early doors i don't recall any instances when he has specifically cost us.

Like many a less-gifted player; momentum and confidence is massive and i think he's finally feeling comfortable with his role (that's not to disregard the numerous times he's previously contributed to us getting over the line in difficult games in past seasons).

He may not be a world beater, but we're finally seeing the player we thought we were buying and the prospect of further improvement can only be a positive for us.

I love the idea of his redemption and him reaching cult-hero status.

G'waaarn, the big man! :tobyarm:

It has nothing to do with weekends game, but... we are the only team in the league who has not drawn a game!
And I personally f*cking love it!!!

In previous seasons we had too many effing draws. It always made me feel somehow like after a draw general feeling was that "Ah, well. At least we did not lose! Could be worse!" when actually drawing is almost same as losing (meaning there is 2 points between win and draw, but only 1 between draw and loss). As much as losing to Watford for example hurt, it at least shakes things up. And being pissed (and concentrating more for next game) is better than being "aah, meeh. At least we got a point" !

So long that might this run go on.
No draws plz!

I won't deny i was dismayed at his signing, but aside from his dumb sending off early doors i don't recall any instances when he has specifically cost us.

Like many a less-gifted player; momentum and confidence is massive and i think he's finally feeling comfortable with his role (that's not to disregard the numerous times he's previously contributed to us getting over the line in difficult games in past seasons).

He may not be a world beater, but we're finally seeing the player we thought we were buying and the prospect of further improvement can only be a positive for us.

I love the idea of his redemption and him reaching cult-hero status.

G'waaarn, the big man! :tobyarm:
When was he sent off early doors? Looking through his match stats and I can only find him being suspended for two games early 16-17 due to a sports court. Not that he got sent off mid game

When was he sent off early doors? Looking through his match stats and I can only find him being suspended for two games early 16-17 due to a sports court. Not that he got sent off mid game

Took a half-arsed petulant swipe at someone early days. Might have been in Europe, defo at Wembley.... No chance i remember what game tho...
Maybe i'm mistaken and it was for 2 yellows.

Took a half-arsed petulant swipe at someone early days. Might have been in Europe, defo at Wembley.... No chance i remember what game tho...
Maybe i'm mistaken and it was for 2 yellows.
Problem is none of the Wembley games line up with his suspension through a sports court. And he only collected one single yellow in his entire first season with us.

Back
Top Bottom