New rules for next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As if they’re introducing this after one of the breaks. Implement it to start the season; you don’t change the rules partway through a season, that’s just bush league.

And we know how it goes. We get screwed by a bad call and it wouldn’t have happened two weeks later after the new implementation.

People want linesman making decisions still??

pedromendesgaol05a.jpg

Fuck that!!

Bring on our robot overlords!!!

FA Cup replays scrapped from the first round onwards​

I can't understand this. The teams involved in the 1st and 2nd rounds don't play in Europe, so why scrap replays for these rounds?

Wasn't that the rule years back, or is my memory playing tricks on me?
It's always been the rule on penalty shoot-outs (rightly so) but not on penalties during the game. How do you restart the game, with a goal kick? Pick the ball up and put it in the goalie's hands?

Penalties have always been considered to be a direct free kick, you can pass if you really want to, as Messi did famously. If a free kick is parried the ball is obviously still in play...

Uh oh....the reason it is late is because it is still being tested!

A source has told ESPN that the Premier League is to part ways with Hawk-Eye, the current provider of offside technology, and the replacement company will not be ready with SAOT in August as additional testing is required.

SAOT will not be available until after one of the three Autumn international breaks -- though there's no confirmation if that will be in September, August or November as the Premier League wants to be sure the technology is reliable.
I hate it already.

"SAOT also provides a much-improved graphical visualisation of an offside decision, rather than the current method of displaying lines on the broadcast camera."

I hate the fact that we'll be presented with a graphic the 'proves' offside, without us being able to judge for ourselves. We're not at a tennis match ffs! Offside is important.

SAOT is doomed to failure already. How long will it be before SAOT is proven to have got it wrong? I give it a month at most.

SAOT? Nah. Semi Hyped Innacurate Technology - I'd prefer the good old blind linesman. Then at least we know to expect errors and we're not being sold snake oil.

Uh oh....the reason it is late is because it is still being tested!

A source has told ESPN that the Premier League is to part ways with Hawk-Eye, the current provider of offside technology, and the replacement company will not be ready with SAOT in August as additional testing is required.

SAOT will not be available until after one of the three Autumn international breaks -- though there's no confirmation if that will be in September, August or November as the Premier League wants to be sure the technology is reliable.
Then carry on the testing until the end of the season and bring it in at the start of the next one.

Changing rules part way through a season is farcical, and means that those who weren't impacted, by whatever caused the rules to change, will have gained an advantage.

9 times out of 10, we're the team that's suffered the issue that causes the change.

Yet another disgusting move so the millionaires don’t have a fixture pile up with the champions league schedule.

So basically Fuck the lower league clubs who benefit financially from replays against bigger clubs.

An extra 33 million for grass roots football? All well and good for tier 9 and below but the gap between the top flight and the leagues grows ever wider.

Last edited:
These are the new rules as I understand it.

1. No more rebound goals on penalties. If the goalie manages to punch the ball away or the ball hits the bar/posts the game stops.

2. Players that are subbed off can leave the field at any pitch line now. To prevent time wasting on subs.

3. No more attacking players in the wall during free kicks.

4. Coaches/managers will also be able to receive cards instead of just verbal warnings for their behavior on the sideline.

5. Goals scored by hand ball (intentional or not) will no longer stand.

All effective June 1st.

Changes 1 and 3 are fucking wank. I doubt a single fan has ever thought for a second that needed looking at. Review the handball law to get rid of the ridiculous "deliberate" wording by all means but there's nothing at all wrong with penalties

As if they’re introducing this after one of the breaks. Implement it to start the season; you don’t change the rules partway through a season, that’s just bush league.

And we know how it goes. We get screwed by a bad call and it wouldn’t have happened two weeks later after the new implementation.

Seems absolutely stupid not to have it for day one of the season. Amateur hour as usual!

View: https://x.com/henrywinter/status/1778414846591000752

It's always been the rule on penalty shoot-outs (rightly so) but not on penalties during the game. How do you restart the game, with a goal kick? Pick the ball up and put it in the goalie's hands?

Penalties have always been considered to be a direct free kick, you can pass if you really want to, as Messi did famously. If a free kick is parried the ball is obviously still in play...

I thought it was Cruyff that famously did it.

...however, the most famous is surely the Terry Henry / Pires penalty...

Is it only when a goal is scored? There was talk about accidental hand ball going and any contact with the arm to be deemed handball.Which i thought would have been disastrous, for what its worth.
I prefer that to this interpretation bollocks though.....accidental or deliberate is a fallacy.
Deliberate handball is a yellow so why is there only about one booking for every 800 handballs? Because the fact is 99% of them are accidental even if careless.

Handball is handball then everyone knows.

I thought that they had already trialed this? For a league that makes as much money as they do, and has these enormous resources it's really amazing how inept they are. Never mind that this should've been done this way 3 years ago, now they're announcing this which will come into use partway through a competition...and it's not even tested?

They have. Sounds like it is a new company the PL are using, presumably because they are in cahoots with them and have paid the PL to be the chosen company.

We will never just go back to it being a bloke with a flag. The game has now changed for ever. Will it be ruined within the next 20 years is the bigger question.

It'll be at Anfield, that's just one of those unwritten laws.

People want linesman making decisions still??

pedromendesgaol05a.jpg

Fuck that!!

Bring on our robot overlords!!!
...but maybe we'd have been awarded a goal the other week, when the goal-line tech graphic 'proved' to us that the whole of the ball hadn't crossed the whole of the line - BY ABOUT A MILLIMETRE. Sonny, wasn't it?

Swings & roundabouts, mate. swings & roundabouts.

Would England have won the World Cup in 1966, if the tech had been available? Possibly not.

And to think, in Premiership games, we'll never again be able to laugh at images like the one you've just posted - it almost breaks my heart.

PLUS- how many times are we going to have to sit and wait for the game to start/restart and suddenly realise we can't carry on because one of the official's bloody batteries has run out!!!

Put the humans back in charge and I'll take the errors on the chin - they're part of the game.

Back
Top Bottom