New rules for next season

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it only when a goal is scored? There was talk about accidental hand ball going and any contact with the arm to be deemed handball.Which i thought would have been disastrous, for what its worth.

These are the new rules as I understand it.

1. No more rebound goals on penalties. If the goalie manages to punch the ball away or the ball hits the bar/posts the game stops.

2. Players that are subbed off can leave the field at any pitch line now. To prevent time wasting on subs.

3. No more attacking players in the wall during free kicks.

4. Coaches/managers will also be able to receive cards instead of just verbal warnings for their behavior on the sideline.

5. Goals scored by hand ball (intentional or not) will no longer stand.

All effective June 1st.

Changes 1 and 3 are fucking wank. I doubt a single fan has ever thought for a second that needed looking at. Review the handball law to get rid of the ridiculous "deliberate" wording by all means but there's nothing at all wrong with penalties

Changes 1 and 3 are fucking wank. I doubt a single fan has ever thought for a second that needed looking at. Review the handball law to get rid of the ridiculous "deliberate" wording by all means but there's nothing at all wrong with penalties
3. I can at least see the reason as attackers are pushing the wall out of the way / it causes bust ups but surely it is easier to enforce current rules rather than add new ones. Also if the wall is the furthest back and you need to be a meter away it give the defending players a meter start when going for rebounds.

Wasn't that the rule years back, or is my memory playing tricks on me?
It's always been the rule on penalty shoot-outs (rightly so) but not on penalties during the game. How do you restart the game, with a goal kick? Pick the ball up and put it in the goalie's hands?

Penalties have always been considered to be a direct free kick, you can pass if you really want to, as Messi did famously. If a free kick is parried the ball is obviously still in play...

It's always been the rule on penalty shoot-outs (rightly so) but not on penalties during the game. How do you restart the game, with a goal kick? Pick the ball up and put it in the goalie's hands?

Penalties have always been considered to be a direct free kick, you can pass if you really want to, as Messi did famously. If a free kick is parried the ball is obviously still in play...

I thought it was Cruyff that famously did it.

...however, the most famous is surely the Terry Henry / Pires penalty...

How is 5 new? You should never have been able to score with your hand anyway!

Penalty rule is just a joke in my view
You could as long as it was accidental - same as any handball - I have vague recollections of Portsmouth scoring one against us and the same season having one disallowed by Ade, both accidental. Its been changed completely now.

You could as long as it was accidental - same as any handball - I have vague recollections of Portsmouth scoring one against us and the same season having one disallowed by Ade, both accidental. Its been changed completely now.

Surely it's more of a case that the referee just hadn't seen the handball as to why it was given? If not, that's a joke. Who's to say what's deliberate or not?

Seems to be the only rule change that makes sense.

Surely it's more of a case that the referee just hadn't seen the handball as to why it was given? If not, that's a joke. Who's to say what's deliberate or not?

Seems to be the only rule change that makes sense.
No it is the rules, the ref is meant to decide if its deliberate in every handball attacking or not. In reality they were more harsh on Attackers scoring but a fair few have been given. Think Aguero vs Woolwich.

These are the new rules as I understand it.

1. No more rebound goals on penalties. If the goalie manages to punch the ball away or the ball hits the bar/posts the game stops.

2. Players that are subbed off can leave the field at any pitch line now. To prevent time wasting on subs.

3. No more attacking players in the wall during free kicks.

4. Coaches/managers will also be able to receive cards instead of just verbal warnings for their behavior on the sideline.

5. Goals scored by hand ball (intentional or not) will no longer stand.

All effective June 1st.
1. Stupid. Does the same apply to direct free-kicks?
2. Like it
3. Stupid.
4. Like it.
5. Stupid

Back
Top Bottom