Spurs vs Monaco - Glorious Return to Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We lost the game at Wembley because of Poch's naive lineup and tactics. I am pretty angry about it. Monaco aren't special but they aren't exactly fucking Hull city.I think Poch assumed we would thrash them after stoke. But what i noticed was that the wide pitch was working for and against us.30 minutes in or so, we wenre't clinical enough at when 1-0 down, it didn't feel like we were exploiting the space effectively enough through pace.Someone like N'Koudou would have been a nightmare for them.

The subs also felt pointless. Jassen is not working right now. He does not fit the 'system'. Also on that issue of space ,Poch tried to fix the problem bringing Dembele on and shifting ali further forward but it was too late.The jjassen and sissoko subs did not help either.

We lost the game at Wembley because of Poch's naive lineup and tactics. I am pretty angry about it. Monaco aren't special but they aren't exactly fucking Hull city.I think Poch assumed we would thrash them after stoke. But what i noticed was that the wide pitch was working for and against us.30 minutes in or so, we wenre't clinical enough at when 1-0 down, it didn't feel like we were exploiting the space effectively enough through pace.Someone like N'Koudou would have been a nightmare for them.

The subs also felt pointless. Jassen is not working right now. He does not fit the 'system'. Also on that issue of space ,Poch tried to fix the problem bringing Dembele on and shifting ali further forward but it was too late.The jjassen and sissoko subs did not help either.

What a load of cobblers.. I haven't seen one person moan at the line up when it was announced..
The same team ( apart from Lamela) thumped Stoke 4 days earlier.. Why wouldn't you stick with that??
He's been critisised in the past for fielding a weak side.. If he did that and we lost every one would be saying " why not field the side that thrashed Stoke". If he started with Dembele and he wasn't up to speed, everyone would say " why pick him in such an important game when he's been out for so long " we are all good at finding fault AFTER the event..

Laughable..

What a load of cobblers.. I haven't seen one person moan at the line up when it was announced..
The same team ( apart from Lamela) thumped Stoke 4 days earlier.. Why wouldn't you stick with that??
He's been critisised in the past for fielding a weak side.. If he did that and we lost every one would be saying " why not field the side that thrashed Stoke". If he started with Dembele and he wasn't up to speed, everyone would say " why pick him in such an important game when he's been out for so long " we are all good at finding fault AFTER the event..

Laughable..

Everyone and anyone can pick the side post match.....

We were all happy with the line up because we all underestimated Monaco.

To be fair, a lot of people had been moaning about the Dier/Wanyama partnership despite being unbeaten with it and Alli was looking good in central midfield at Stoke. Problem is, we attacked and left no one with Dier so he ultimately had two jobs to do. Against teams that park the bus, if Dembele is out injured or suspended then I have no problem with Alli alongside Dier but if we're going to play the likes of Monaco, Leverkusen or top clubs in the league, it'll have to be Dier/Wanyama or Dier/Dembele. Or even Wanyama/Dembele

Janssen produced the best opportunity all game for Kane.

Your analysis is flawed - Pochettino's naivete, do me a favour......

I reckon the English core is tired, Kane, Dier, Dele, Walker.. . I know it is bad saying this but i don't want them around that EBOLA called the England national team. I don't give a shit they beat slovakia in the 95h minute. Sam Alardyce is another Hogdson. It is demoralising the players having to represent a lost cause under an FA that actively seeks to sabotage the national team.

Poch must find a way to rejuvenate these players .

For me the worst part of our play will always be the slow passing across the back line. Watching Davies pass to Jan, Jan pass to Toby, Toby to Walker and back again only to pass it to Dier who passes it to Toby who hits a crossfield pass is infuriating and such a waste of time when you're 2-0 down.

I just don't see the point of doing it. You're not "moving over the opposition defence" because they're miles away.

It's situations like that where Modric would drop deep, get the ball and off he'd go with it. No one seems confident enough to get the ball, turn and pass it out of defence.

And I think that's the key phrase - passing it out of defence, not to your defence. Takes us far too long to transition from GK to DF to MF. Once it finally gets to MF we're fine, but it takes about 10-20 passes when it should only be taking 4-5. It doesn't help that Lloris's passing is shit too, as he will sometimes attempt to by-pass this by doing a long kick only for it to go out for a throw in.

Just to prove my point...

Dier is suppose to be the player that drops deep, turns with the ball and passes it out and yet he isn't. All he's doing is getting the ball and passing it back to the defence. Our only outlet from defence is Walker and Davies.

We basically have no midfielder. Alli is too far forward and Dier is too far back. We effectively played 5-0-4-1.

Just to prove my point...

Dier is suppose to be the player that drops deep, turns with the ball and passes it out and yet he isn't. All he's doing is getting the ball and passing it back to the defence. Our only outlet from defence is Walker and Davies.

We basically have no midfielder. Alli is too far forward and Dier is too far back. We effectively played 5-0-4-1.

You really do not get it.

You really do not get it.

Rather than going on a witch hunt for 2 days, just fuck off please. Put me on ignore, I couldn't give a shit.

He turned Eric Dier from a Cb to one of the best MF's in the league, but it's too big a task for him to say "Hey Eric, try passing the ball out more"? Really?

The one who doesn't get it is you. We don't play like this because we don't have the ability - we play like this because Poch clearly wants them to, which is a mistake. Many top teams get it into the MF very, very quickly and dictate the game from there. We try and dictate the game from defence, even when 2-0 down.

We made an early error and got punished. being 1-0 down caused use to be cautious at the back. We started to over play the ball. It happened because of circumstance , not because we are unable to do it.

Rather than going on a witch hunt for 2 days, just fuck off please. Put me on ignore, I couldn't give a shit.

He turned Eric Dier from a Cb to one of the best MF's in the league, but it's too big a task for him to say "Hey Eric, try passing the ball out more"? Really?

The one who doesn't get it is you. We don't play like this because we don't have the ability - we play like this because Poch clearly wants them to, which is a mistake. Many top teams get it into the MF very, very quickly and dictate the game from there. We try and dictate the game from defence, even when 2-0 down.

Wrong again-sorry. I just get frustrated to read this baloney. If you are so smart-tell everyone how we will play on Sunday. Not tell everyone what has happened and express it as though you knew all along. There were reason as to the game developed they way it did, not because we are inept in playing football.

why dont you fuck off?

you are talking tosh and its painful to read your posts.

Thoughts :

- Unlucky, they had 2 shots and scored, sadly that happens in football. We were the better team.
- Davies isn't a patch on Rose. Why he constantly showed Lemar inside I'll never know.
- Dier is hideously off form.
- Dembele showed how important he is to us. The quicker he's back in the team the better.
- We are a young team, many players having never played CL football before and a manager who's never managed in it. We'll be fine.
I don't get this "never played CL football before," or "never managed CL football." Is it played with 13 men? Or with a square ball? Or on a triangular pitch? It's football. You prepare for the opponent and that's that.

Davies was directly involved in both of their goals and whilst I'm not going to lay the entire blame at his door I would say that his lack of true defensive quality prevented a meaningful level of interference that might have changed the outcome. The second was a defensive cluster fuck all round but Davies could have stopped with greater awareness.
This is the same Davies that everyone was praising after the Stoke game, yeah?

I am not so sure we were the better team. They got 2 goals a Wonderful strike , and a defensive mix up with a killer finish . Last seasons Kane would have scored twice but since his England
Soul destroyer we may be weeks/months before he starts performing . The Fat Sam
geriatric tatics will be a new disaster for our players .
They were professional and didn't have to do no more , sat back and we looked crap in front of goal .
A wake up call that possession is not the only way to skin a cat , especially if you can't finish .
No, possession is not the only way to skin a cat, but xG is and it was heavily weighted towards us (1.15 vs 0.45, iirc). They just got lucky.

Back
Top Bottom