Spurs vs Monaco - Glorious Return to Champions League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For me the worst part of our play will always be the slow passing across the back line. Watching Davies pass to Jan, Jan pass to Toby, Toby to Walker and back again only to pass it to Dier who passes it to Toby who hits a crossfield pass is infuriating and such a waste of time when you're 2-0 down.
It infuriates us all, so what should we do to stop this?

I just don't see the point of doing it. You're not "moving over the opposition defence" because they're miles away.

It's situations like that where Modric would drop deep, get the ball and off he'd go with it. No one seems confident enough to get the ball, turn and pass it out of defence.

And I think that's the key phrase - passing it out of defence, not to your defence. Takes us far too long to transition from GK to DF to MF. Once it finally gets to MF we're fine, but it takes about 10-20 passes when it should only be taking 4-5. It doesn't help that Lloris's passing is shit too, as he will sometimes attempt to by-pass this by doing a long kick only for it to go out for a throw in.

I was at the game and thought the atmosphere was good particularly at the beginning. When Monoco scored two goals it went flat, but that is bound to happen. If we would have won it would have gone off the hook. Fingers crossed for the bayern game.

There was a great rendition of ' Oh when the Spurs ' about 3 minutes in. In general it was good but the first goal kind of knocked the stuffing out of us. The 2nd definitely dulled the atmosphere.

Lets face it, this was the first group game. If we progressed and got a top club the atmosphere would be fantastic just like our last CL campaign. The group stages were good but Inter was unbelievable and arguably the best i've ever witnessed at WHL ( 5-1 v Woolwich compares ).

There was a great rendition of ' Oh when the Spurs ' about 3 minutes in. In general it was good but the first goal kind of knocked the stuffing out of us. The 2nd definitely dulled the atmosphere.

Lets face it, this was the first group game. If we progressed and got a top club the atmosphere would be fantastic just like our last CL campaign. The group stages were good but Inter was unbelievable and arguably the best i've ever witnessed at WHL ( 5-1 v Woolwich compares ).
Mate I could not get a ticket for the inter game
Well jealous.

I have no doubt that yesterday was purely about the sense of occasion anf freezing in the big moments on the big stage with 85k screaming fans. We had some great chances to win easily but over played it rather then shoot first time. Son and Kane both usually hit them quicker and I'm more surprised with Kane. seems to have taken a dip in confidence. Im in n two minds about him starting on the bench. Best way for him to get back in the goals it is to keep getting the chances. Our passing was also a bit nervy especially around the midfield which seemed to have too much space for Monaco. End of first and all of second half was more like it and dembele gave that extra protection. poch got it wrong playing Alli too far back, but as I say those chances were ones Kane would bury last season. Disappointed in lamela and eriksen. When they are good they are class but when they don't play their best they are awful. No middle ground with them. Wish they would take more players on as well! We got new players on the bench so start them on Sunday. last night's game was hopeful all part of the learning process for manager and players. Larger pitch and the occasion definitely played a part. We only just thrashed em in December!

Coys!!!

Last edited:

So often a great pass was on but we don't take risks. Fine if it's 0-0 but 2-0 you have to just go for it! Our first half in every game this season has been poor as well. Monaco have improved since we last played them and u cannot start slow at this level

Spurs lose but their fans triumph in spectacular style on Champions League return
By Hertfordshire Mercury | Posted: September 15, 2016

By Alasdair Gold

Tottenham Hotspur, Wembley
SEA OF SPURS: The Tottenham fans descend on Tottenham Hotspur (Photo by PA)
Comments (0)
The result may not have been what they wanted, but that didn't stop the Tottenham Hotspur fans making their Champions League return one to remember.

They came in their droves to Wembley from all parts of the country, and some from across Europe and the world to be able to say that they were there on the first night that almost 85,000 Spurs fans packed out the national stadium.

Cup finals bring with them a much-reduced partial allocation for a club, once the opposition and the suits have taken their cuts. Wednesday night's event in the capital was a different beast altogether.

The walk out of Wembley Park station took you straight down into a sea of Lilywhites advancing towards the stadium.

There were Tottenham fans as far as the eye could see. All those supporters who could rarely or never get themselves a ticket to squeeze into White Hart Lane finally found themselves with the chance to cheer on their beloved side.

Spurs replica shirts from all the different eras were represented. The tops worn by Gascoigne, Lineker, Sheringham, Ginola, Klinsmann, Waddle and Hoddle and more were just as popular as the current set of shirts modelled by Kane, Alli et al.

Plenty of credit has to go to Tottenham Hotspur themselves. The club had clearly worked long and hard with the Wembley officials to make the stadium as much as a home from home as they could.

Every lamp post had the Spurs' cockerel hanging from it or the club's slogan 'To dare is to do'. Even the burger vans had the club crest emblazoned on their sides.

That was just outside the stadium. Inside, the club had done all they could to make it their own and if they'd been able to turn Wembley's iconic red seats white or navy I'm sure they'd have tried.

Even the traditional Spurs pre-match montage, complete with 'Ready or Not' throbbing over it, was there as well as the Star Wars piece of music, 'Duel of the Fates', to pump up the crowd before the players' emergence.

But on this night there was only one piece of music that was going to get the blood going.

For almost six years, Spurs supporters have been waiting to hear the Champions League anthem boom out before one of their games with that giant football-shaped emblem held up and shaken in the centre of the pitch behind their team.

From that point on the fans were truly ready, like a switch had been flicked. They were magnificent and the place boomed with the unified noise of a British record Champions League crowd of 85,011. Sure there were a sprinkling of Monaco fans, but you would never have known.

Every player's individual chant, normally loud enough at White Hart Lane as it is, was amplified three-fold. So loud were the crowd that perhaps even those professional players, trying to focus on this being just another game in their 'project', suddenly found themselves slap, bang in the middle of an occasion, a momentous event in which almost every throat in one of the biggest stadiums in the world was roaring out their name.

Even the England players would never have experienced this at Wembley. This was something else, a constant barrage of noise, everything that is good about the tribal nature of football supporters.

Sure, the team slipped up a couple of times on the night and Monaco seized on two particularly sloppy moments, but there was plenty of evidence to suggest that Spurs aren't going to be lost within the confines of Wembley Stadium.

Harry Kane is still not as sharp as he should be and spurned at least two chances that he'd normally bury with first time shots, Mousa Dembele came back into the fold and showed why he's so important in the middle and ultimately the younger players will have learned enormous amounts from the opening match against arguably the toughest team in the group.

Spurs dominated the second half and should have been far more ruthless with the chances they created. There were players below their usual level. Christian Eriksen was back to his less effective pre-Stoke state after a bright start, Erik Lamela found himself stifled at times and was sloppy in possession on occasions, most notably for the first Monaco goal, while Heung-Min Son did himself no favours with his ponderous early effort on goal when completely unmarked, which could have changed the whole direction of the game.

There was also one other negative with the evening, other than the result - the transportation for the fans.

Funneling almost 90,000 people out of an arena is always going to be a difficult process, but Wembley is not always held up as a pinnacle of post-match transportation links.

I was leaving the stadium almost an hour and half after the final whistle and still Wembley Park station was rammed with fans squeezing in a queue down platforms' stairs on to trains.

Those who were unfortunate enough to attempt to use the Metropolitan line towards Liverpool Street alongside me were treated to numerous trains being unexpectedly terminated at stations along the way, not the greatest thing when the departure of connecting last trains of the night are approaching or in my case missed.

Yet here I am, 16 hours after taking a combination of underground, overground, taxi and my own car to get in at 2.30am to a home that is only a 25 minute train journey from White Hart Lane, and all I can think about is that it was worth it - for one moment in the night.

It wasn't Toby Alderweireld's powerful headed goal, it wasn't seeing Dembele back in action, leaving defenders bemused as he span away from them, or even seeing the national stadium decked out in Tottenham Hotspur paraphernalia.

It was a single moment of incredible noise. After Spurs' Belgian centre-back had headed home and then Alli had almost touched in a dramatic leveller a minute later, the Italian referee Gianluca Rocchi blew his whistle for half-time.

As the players walked off the pitch, the fans united as one across the cavernous stadium to emit a roar, one which had our press desks reverberating and must have had local residents wondering what the hell had just happened.

It was a collective bellow of belief and motivation, almost 90,000 people desperate to pass on their renewed sense of hope to their idols after a difficult half and it was as ear-splitting as it was goosebump-inducing.

The players ultimately couldn't reward the supporters' efforts, but that single, unified noise proved two things.

Firstly, Spurs' new 61,000-seater stadium is probably going to be loudest in London when it opens in a couple of years' time and the club's hierarchy will learn a lot about what works and what doesn't from this spell at the national stadium.

Secondly, and most importantly for those Lilywhites worried about leaving their current grand old stadium, the Tottenham fans proved last night that without doubt wherever they sing and roar together, that's their home.

Read more at Spurs lose but their fans triumph in spectacular style

I didn't say so.

I do am saying though, that the team wasn't set up to meet the challenge, and that we had no way of breaking back into it, after we went behind with 2.

That's hardly controversial - just about every neutral match report you can read anywhere says the very same thing.

This Spurs team is probs the best in my lifetime. Still doesn'r deter from the fact, that we were poor and Monaco earned the win. I really don't see how anyone in their right mind - who actually watched the very game - can disagree too much.

Creating two big chances then fucking them up is hardly what constitutes deserving a win.
Some seem to think the only difference between taking your chances & missing them is entirely luck & no skill.
If you fluff your chances & the other team are clinical then you deserve to lose.

Last edited:
So often a great pass was on but we don't take risks. Fine if it's 0-0 but 2-0 you have to just go for it! Our first half in every game this season has been poor as well. Monaco have improved since we last played them and u cannot start slow at this level
Agree . Although it was an error and they capalised on it , to go ahead. Then we did it again-messed up. When you do go 1-0 down so early in the game, you must stick to your game plan and not panic. At 2-1, we did look to get forward quicker at times. It just wouldn't happen for us. They defended in numbers and Poch seemed unable to find a solution.

[QUOTE="Jayc1, post: 1076231, membust don't see the point of doing it. You're not "moving over the opposition defence" because they're miles away.

It's situations like that where Modric would drop deep, get the ball and off he'd go with it. No one seems confident enough to get the ball, turn and pass it out of defence.

And I think that's the key phrase - passing it out of defence, not to your defence. Takes us far too long to transition from GK to DF to MF. Once it finally gets to MF we're fine, but it takes about 10-20 passes when it should only be taking 4-5. It doesn't help that Lloris's passing is shit too, as he will sometimes attempt to by-pass this by doing a long kick only for it to go out for a throw in.[/QUOTE]
Your reflecting on what happened, thats the easy bit. What is the solution.? You are Poch on the side, what do you do? Bring on Dembele, he did. Look to play wide and stretch them, he did. Try to switch the play, he did. We are chasing the game, they have something to defend. We came up against a strong , well drilled, unbeaten team in Monaco. Although we messed up twice, we kept at it and they had control. It will get better for, im sure.

Result was a tad disappointing and our slow start didn't help. Two mistakes were punished quite ruthlessly and we were quite wasteful with our chances. How good was it to see the Moose back in the middle of the park, let's hope he keeps his nails to himself this season. We certainly deserved the win on our second half performance, and if only that superb strike from Dele had not brought out the best in their keeper, then think we would have done them. Still, after all the hype, probably was expecting the result not to go our way - Spursey is still alive and kicking.

Was sat behind the goal near the Monaco fans and the atmosphere was great until we went 2-0 down. I couldn't hear the them despite being so close. The main problem was getting a coherent chant right around ground. The most unforgettable moment for me was back out onto Wembley Way and seeing an incredible amount of yids, with a huge chorus of Oh When The Spurs.

BLOCK 502 represent, the view was actually really good. It was so steep but looked impressive. Football was lolz - peak Spurs.
Katniss-District-11-the-hunger-games-30748724-500-213.gif

Pity we didnt bring Sissoko on earlier, he looked keen....
We're at a weird point right now. Make no mistake, we're still climbing out of the slump that the end of last season (+ the English players at the Euros) produced. Oh, and having missed a Dembele.
Thank fuck we've got three games in the next 12 days that could help our players get back into the groove - or, you know, be the banana skin that Spurs slip over all too often.

I'm not even sure we know what this season's go to starting 11 will look like. Sissoko might be a revelation. N'Koudou's pace may well prove fantastic. Janssen might displace Kane from his spot.

At the start of last season, did anyone think Alli would be a starting player?

We'll get our shit together. By early November, our performance at Wembley will be night-and-day compared to this one.

I did say the solution lol

1. Tell the players not to do it
2. Buy a modric type player

Isn't difficult to solve. It's a habit, one Poch seems to encourage.

So on the night Poch magics up a player of Modrics abilities and while he's at it, a Messi as well.
I would have guessed Poch would have told the players not to do it?

Sometimes a game develops in this fashion, its always easy in hind sight, saying we need this player and that.
It doesn't solve anything. Its on the night that counts.

Back
Top Bottom