Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I couldn't disagree more that we don't have players of Hazards level. If that's how you feel, fine. But I really disagree with you and our league form over the last 24 months shows it.
We've been fantastic, very solid and are performing better then i've ever seen us perform (especially as a unit) but the chavs are above us and they are there only because they have that little bit of extra. Because defensively they are below us, their central midfield is below ours but they are a tad more efficient due to the quality of their front players - that's all

This-Is-Gonna-Be-Good-Creeper-Bird-Popcorn.gif

Glad to see the players are all disappointed and not pleased with thier performance.
All think they should have done better and pissed especially after they found out about the other results.
Not content with a draw.
These things happen. We were not as good as we could be, especially first half, yet Chelsea managed only 6 more shots 3 more on target and had 7 less corners than us up there against the same central defence of Kone O'Shea 6 games ago. They found it hard to break them down yet managed to score, but they couldn't find another in 50mims. Despite dominating the possession similar to what we did.
It's disappointing but not the end of the world.

Last edited:
It's easy to label other teams players as being more consistent and as having "that little bit extra" when all you see is their highlights. Im sure many a fan of other teams has wished for the regular brilliance of Son, Ali or Eriksen after watching them over the last two seasons. It's simple "grass is greener" stuff.

People are going to stir pots and fling shit after a result like this. Fact is that these results happen. We can't and won't beat everyone. Hypothetically - If we came up against a team of scared armadillos once a season, chances are that, on one fucking occasion, none of our players would know what is the ball and would spend 90 minutes kicking the piss out of the world's strangest animal, ending in a draw. It's just how it goes.

For the record, fuck hazard, fuck Coutinho and FUCK Sanchez.

What a surprise. John Thomas John Thomas doesn't rate our players higher than he does Hazard. He can't be content with any player who wasn't signed for a stupid fee.

Meanwhile I'm just going to sit here and enjoy having one of the best young squads in the league and enjoy the fact that we are sitting 2nd, all while doing so without being like Chelsea or fucking City. How sorry I feel for everyone who's too busy concerning themselves with our finances instead of enjoying the fact that we have a young and exciting team who are doing blindingly well in the league. :harrysmile:

It does show how far we have come that I and others are disappointed with an away draw. The first half as Poch has stated was poor and Sunderland did attack us and this was our chance to score but we were lacklustre and it was almost as if the players felt we would win and no need to go the extra mile.
2nd half Sunderland were pushed back and parked the bus but we never looked like scoring. After going down to 10 men Saturday and losing Rose early clearly Poch was reluctant to commit too early again on subs.
Despite this in the past I would have been worried in the last 10 mins that Sunderland would steal it. No such worries and do not remember Defoe touching the ball 2nd half.
Expect Middlesboro to park the bus Saturday and we need to find a way through early and not wait for the 2nd jhalf to start playing.

Been reading through this & cant believe that one below par performance against a team, struggling for their survival with a naturally defence minded manager, has caused a scene.
We moved up into second off the back of that below par effort.
I don't see who we would add to our squad (btw- Hazard is an unreliable cunt who plays when he feels like it) who would immediately add value and turn that off night into a victory. You look to the bench when things aren't working out. Last night, I think Poch should have brought Winks on, & given Janssen a longer run out. I would therefore question what he did, rather than who he has. He's not above any criticism, & I think he got it wrong. (Easy to say , sat at home watching it)

If the rumours are true that Lamela is almost ready, then we have another gifted game changer to throw into the mix.

The chavs will drop points. I am sure if of it. Starting on Saturday. They then have to go to Burnley- whose home form is exceptionally good.

The odds are very much in Chelsea's favour because of the gap & their lack of European distraction. But it's 1st February. We are in second place, have only lost twice all season, & I don't remember the last time we had zero first team injuries. Lots of points left to play for
COYS
:tobyarm:

Been reading through this & cant believe that one below par performance against a team, struggling for their survival with a naturally defence minded manager, has caused a scene.
I don't see who we would add to our squad (btw- Hazard is an unreliable cunt who plays when he feels like it) who would immediately add value and turn that off night into a victory. You look to the bench when things aren't working out. Last night, I think Poch should have brought Winks on, & given Janssen a longer run out. I would therefore question what he did, rather than who he has. He's not above any criticism, & I think he got it wrong. (Easy to say , sat at home watching it)

If the rumours are true that Lamela is almost ready, then we have another gifted game changer to throw into the mix.

The chavs will drop points. I am sure if of it. Starting on Saturday. They then have to go to Burnley- whose home form is exceptionally good.

The odds are very much in Chelsea's favour because of the gap & their lack of European distraction. But it's 1st February. We are in second place, have only lost twice all season, & I don't remember the last time we had zero first team injuries. Lots of points left to play for
COYS

Forgetting about Jan!? :vertna:

It's easy to label other teams players as being more consistent and as having "that little bit extra" when all you see is their highlights. Im sure many a fan of other teams has wished for the regular brilliance of Son, Ali or Eriksen after watching them over the last two seasons. It's simple "grass is greener" stuff.

People are going to stir pots and fling shit after a result like this. Fact is that these results happen. We can't and won't beat everyone. Hypothetically - If we came up against a team of scared armadillos once a season, chances are that, on one fucking occasion, none of our players would know what is the ball and would spend 90 minutes kicking the piss out of the world's strangest animal, ending in a draw. It's just how it goes.

For the record, fuck hazard, fuck Coutinho and FUCK Sanchez.

hqdefault.jpg

Soft on the outside..... crunchy on the inside...... Armadillos!!!

COYS

Ahhh I forgot about Lamela, I'm hoping he is like a new signing for us! Cant wait for him to come back!

Forgetting about Jan!? :vertna:
Not at all. We've been without Lamela for a long time though & we didn't struggle defensively last night. We would have benefitted from having Lamela as an attacking option, either in the starting XI or coming on from the bench. We aren't lacking in forward players...we just don't seem to have had them all fit at the same time this season.

Not at all. We've been without Lamela for a long time though & we didn't struggle defensively last night. We would have benefitted from having Lamela as an attacking option, either in the starting XI or coming on from the bench. We aren't lacking in forward players...we just don't seem to have had them all fit at the same time this season.
Lamela is the type of player that could provide that spark, no idea how fast he can regain the rhythm of the league after his injury. But impact sub wise he d be an enormous asset, i hoped GNK would ve taken his chance to rise up the ranks but seems he s not done enough to convince Poch.

24 hours does a LOT to calm the mind....
YES, last night was 2 points dropped.... but thinking about recent games, Man City was most DEFINITELY a point gained... and at the time we played them, Chelsea might have been expected to win, or at least not LOSE at ours last month... so that also was an unexpected 3 points gained!!

Other results went well for us last night.
The weekend will see ONE or BOTH of Chelsea/Arse drop points.... so we HAVE TO take advantage!

I think last night gave us a mid-season wake-up call, without being TOO permenantly damaging!

Better we learn the lesson NOW, and with games to play... than in the last few games of the season when there's nothing we can do to rectify the situation any more!

(And I'd like to THINK we learned that painful lesson LAST season!)

24 hours does a LOT to calm the mind....
YES, last night was 2 points dropped.... but thinking about recent games, Man City was most DEFINITELY a point gained... and at the time we played them, Chelsea might have been expected to win, or at least not LOSE at ours last month... so that also was an unexpected 3 points gained!!

Other results went well for us last night.
The weekend will see ONE or BOTH of Chelsea/Arse drop points.... so we HAVE TO take advantage!

I think last night gave us a mid-season wake-up call, without being TOO permenantly damaging!

Better we learn the lesson NOW, and with games to play... than in the last few games of the season when there's nothing we can do to rectify the situation any more!

(And I'd like to THINK we learned that painful lesson LAST season!)

It's a great menality if we just want top four.

So. TheJockmur TheJockmur thinks we usually spend big in January and don't usually tail off in the final stretch. Fucking happy to finish below Woolwich every season this century then I guess. Fucking jerk

We will challenge for the title. Just not this season anymore, we will challenge again when we move into our new stadium. Our next season will be much tougher than this.

It's not only about the League. Chelsea don't have international games. Woolwich and City will crash and burn by the end February. Liverpool crashed last month. Us and United may gain just a few points on Chelsea, depending on the players we put out in the EL.

It's no coincidence that PL champions go out early in international and cup competitions. There is too much football played in England. Let's compare:

City 11/12: Out in 3rd round of the FA Cup, out in the round of last 16 in EL
United 12/13: Out in last 8 of the FA Cup, out in the round of last 16 in CL
City 13/14: Out in last 8 of the FA Cup, out in the round of last 16 in CL
Chelsea 14/15: Out in the 4th round of the FA Cup, out in the round of last 16 in CL
Leicester 15/16: Out in the 3rd round of the FA Cup, no international competition

Remember, all but Leicester have enough money to attract decent players who will accept a role on the bench.

For us, the league title is gone. I'd be very happy to win the EL (I personally prefer it to the FA Cup), but I'm not too sure if we are that far yet. Our B team just doesn't seem strong enough.

Yes, we could still aim for the title, but it'd just end in bitter disappointment just as did last year. No reason for that. Title. is. gone.

We will challenge for the title. Just not this season anymore, we will challenge again when we move into our new stadium. Our next season will be much tougher than this.
Thing is ex, we've been waiting 56 years. That's astonishing for a club of our stature. Packing out wembley with our own fans shows not only how big we are, but also how small time we've been handled. 1 league cup in 17 years is unacceptable. The list of league champions since we won the damn thing includes the likes of Derby, Leicester, Blackburn, Villa, Forest, Leeds, Everton,Chelsea, and many many more. We have the money.We have the Fans. Just a shame so many are happy to accept season after season of ultimate failure.

Last edited:
Made the mistake of rewatching that Rodwell tackle.

Looks even worse than I remembered.
:pochfacepalm:

We might have been shit, but we'd probably have found a way to score against ten men.
You just know Woolwich would have had the decision go their way.

Back
Top Bottom