"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've really got nothing to lose in going for it, but let's not get upset or angry if we lose a couple games and still finish second. I know what some of us are like..
I'll be extremely upset and throwing all my toys out my pram. And if we don't win the double Poch needs to take a long hard look at himself

Actually that's not quite true.

Before the season I'd have been delighted with top 4 and finishing above Woolwich. And that's still the case. If we can win the FA cup too, then it'll be the happiest football year of my life. And that's the truth.

----------------------------------- Goals -------- Assists ---- Total ------ (mins)
Harry Kane ---------------------- 25 ------------- 5 ----------- 30 ------- 2.535'
Dele Alli -------------------------- 19 ------------ 11 ----------- 30 ------- 3.401'
Christian Eriksen --------------- 11 ----------- 18 ----------- 29 ------- 3.498'
Son Heung-Min ---------------- 19 ------------- 8 ------------ 27 ------- 2.451'
Vincent Janssen ---------------- 6 -------------- 4 ----------- 10 ------- 1.311'
Érik Lamela ---------------------- 2 -------------- 7 ------------ 9 --------- 944'

*all comps

"Poch; "Tottenham is not building now in an artificial way. It is not about putting in money, money, money, money and building a fantastic stadium and fantastic team.

“Tottenham is very genuine. It is a very natural process and it is so exciting because it is unique in the world.” Chelsea spent £120 million players last summer, while Spurs splashed out only £48m."

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino aims dig at Chelsea ahead of FA Cup showdown

:pochohshit::dembelefingers::pochlol::pochsmirk::sonpoint::dierpochhug:
tenor.gif

Even if we lose this year, the fact that we got so close and took Chelsea who were miles ahead of everyone up until the end will create a drive and hunger in our players that will set the stage for next season.

excited1.gif

He's just trying to relieve his players of the pressure which is smart imo

True, but he needs to be careful, if he relieves them of the pressure too much they might just decide they have permission to bottle it altogether. It does seem they lack the motivation we have so I wonder how this tactic will actually play out.

John Terry confirmed he'll be leaving Chelsea at the end of the season.

Please, oh fucking please let's beat them to the double.

I know the odds are against us, however i would point out that in current form over the last 6 games we have picked up 6 more points than Chelsea, and over the last 10 we have picked up 5 more than them.

England - Premier League form table

Obviously that 6 match form guide extrapolated over the last 6 games of the season sees us win by a point.

Spurs are by league position the second best team in England, and on form we are the best.

Who the best team is will be decided in Saturday IMO.

Every other team should be shitting themselves about playing us here on in.

If we were Lolpool or Man City in the same scenario you probably be seeing the league being handed to them by the media.
The league is 38 games, not 6. While we are, in my opinion, a better team than Chelsea at the moment (and for this reason fully capable of beating them at the weekend) the fact is that you are judged by the 38 games. A brief early season wobble in for, is what has cost us the extra points, and in order to be a title winning side you have to try and avoid that as much as possible. As a result of this we have basically been playing catch up for the rest of the season and this has meant it is theirs to lose, irrespective of who the better team is now. Our only hope is that they have a reverse of our season, with a late season form wobble that allows us to continue to build ground on them, but with their remaining fixture list I think the odds of that are slim, especially since at least two of the teams they face will probably have little to play for. That'[s why I refuse to get carried away. I think the odds are against us no matter how well we play.

But, you're right, teams should be terrified of us, and I think that Bournemouth's approach to the game on Saturday showed that some are. It felt like they just didn't think they could win, and that's a good thing. I remember being on the reverse of that. Going to places like Old Trafford, Anfield and Highbury and being convinced we'd not pick up three points. To now be the reverse of that is something special. To see the gooners convince we're gonna turn them over easily is just icing on the cake.

We did. We hold on for a draw at the bridge and the gap is one.
That late goal by Pedro was a shame. Go into HT 1-0 and I think we win that game.

This. You get what I'm saying.
I hope it doesn't cost us but I think Soton and Everton have to get the job done, the other sides should be wins for Chelsea.

If we win our games then all we need is for Chelsea to draw points in one single game before the last game of the season and it will go to the last game, when nerves and pressure mean anything can happen.

It's funny, haven't seen anyone claim how important our Swansea last gasped result was or the massive draw we earned at City.
I did, after both matches. In fact after many matches this season I have been banging on about how crucial points like those can be. But I said it not so much for the title race but for a top four finish. After all, at the start of the season there was no expectation that we would be in the title race again. Most were predicting a top six finish. So I always looked at it as a crucial point here and there being the difference between finished in 4th or 5th, and, of course, as the season progressed, the difference between automatic qualification and 4th, and between us and the gooners in terms of finishing spot. I never expected a title race again so soon so that's why I'm somewhat taking it in my stride.

If we win our games then all we need is for Chelsea to draw points in one single game before the last game of the season and it will go to the last game, when nerves and pressure mean anything can happen.
Assuming goal difference remains a positive for us, they need to drop four points. So a loss and a draw or two draws.

Last edited:
I'll be extremely upset and throwing all my toys out my pram. And if we don't win the double Poch needs to take a long hard look at himself

Actually that's not quite true.

Before the season I'd have been delighted with top 4 and finishing above Woolwich. And that's still the case. If we can win the FA cup too, then it'll be the happiest football year of my life. And that's the truth.
Compare that to the season before and your prediction of coming behind West Ham and Crystal Palace things really have moved on for you.

I did, after both matches. In fact after many matches this season I have been banging on about how crucial points like those can be. But I said it not so much for the title race but for a top four finish. After all, at the start of the season there was no expectation that we would be in the title race again. Most were predicting a top six finish. So I always looked at it as a crucial point here and there being the difference between finished in 4th or 5th, and, of course, as the season progressed, the difference between automatic qualification and 4th, and between us and the gooners in terms of finishing spot. I never expected a title race again so soon so that's why I'm somewhat taking it in my stride.
I'm specifically making ref to the "dropped points" comments in this thread.

FWIW I said we would be in the title race before we even kicked a ball this season. It wasn't hard to see how good we were last year.

I'm specifically making ref to the "dropped points" comments in this thread.

FWIW I said we would be in the title race before we even kicked a ball this season. It wasn't hard to see how good we were last year.
I was a little dissuaded by how the team gave up after the "Battle of the Bridge" and the fact that the unprecedented collapse of the other big boys helped both us and Leicester. So I thought it would be much tougher for us this year....and indeed it has been, because last year we never even beat our PL record points total, but this year not only will we beat it, but in all likelihood we will finish the season with more points then Leicester had last year, and still not win the title. So our fight this season has been considerably harder and I think we are far superior to last year as a result of the ground we have already made. I think for that reason I am now a believer that this team will win the title in the next five years. I just don't think it will be this year purely due to the Chav advantage.

I was a little dissuaded by how the team gave up after the "Battle of the Bridge" and the fact that the unprecedented collapse of the other big boys helped both us and Leicester. So I thought it would be much tougher for us this year....and indeed it has been, because last year we never even beat our PL record points total, but this year not only will we beat it, but in all likelihood we will finish the season with more points then Leicester had last year, and still not win the title. So our fight this season has been considerably harder and I think we are far superior to last year as a result of the ground we have already made. I think for that reason I am now a believer that this team will win the title in the next five years. I just don't think it will be this year purely due to the Chav advantage.
We are now legitimate challengers/contenders, this is the reality. As fans we have to learn how to enjoy this, whilst I totally get the fear of showing any outward confidence, what a shame for those that can't enjoy what is going on because they are too scared. Embrace the best team that Spurs have assembled in a generation. What will be, will be and good teams do have a tendency of doing good things.

Assuming goal difference remains a posotive for us, they need to drop four points. So a loss and a draw or two draws.

Yes, I have my doubts about whether we can win all six, though I wouldn't be surprised if we did, but assuming we did they could drop say 2 points against Everton and West Brom, win the rest and we'd still likely win it. Our GD is 8 better than them currently and we have a better head to head. Even if we won our games only by a single goal, that gives us a GD of 14 more than them for our part, and if they are drawing in 2 of their 6 remaining games that means they'd have to win each of their other four games by 3.5 goals on average. All very unlikely. So our GD gives us a definite advantage, if we end up on equal points. I do believe they will drop more points yet. Can we win all our remaining games?

Back
Top Bottom