Vincent Janssen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok well if you want Sissoko to stay as well i can't knock you for your stance on Janssen.

Personally i want us to upgrade on both of them. I think with 2 or 3 really quality additions (depending on whether or not we sell Walker) we can win the title and push on even more. We don't have the funds to just splash cash so the only way we are gonna do that is if we bring in revenue from player sales (so those 2 are expendable).

In fairness, the 2017 Janssen looks like a major upgrade on the 2016 Janssen. His control was excellent, his lay offs were very very good and he looked confident with his right foot and finished sharply albeit offside. Not to mention his runs created the space for two Kane goals.

I get why you want to sell him, his goal return isn't what we needed, but I see a player with attributes that Poch has seen, but wants to add different attributes to. I think if Vinny keeps listening to Poch and works hard, he's close to being a very different player to the one signed last year. One that will be a more than adequate replacement should Kane miss a game.

Or maybe you invest in training, improving and molding a player, just as Poch did with the likes of Son and Lamela.
Nope on this occassion i think the cut throat approach will work better for us. Janssen does not suit our style of play and neither does Sissoko to be totally honest. If it was a case of them just playing poorly i might feel different but Janssens style in particular is the complete opposite of the style of football we play and what Poch is trying to instil.
We need to inject some pace into the squad (in particular the attacking positions and particularly because of the wembley pitch).
I'm extremley confident and excited about what we can achieve with a few tweaks.

Poor Vinny. He'd barely been at the club 5 minutes before Kane got injured & he got thrown in at the deep end. It isn't surprising (to me at least) that he struggled in those games. He was being asked to fill the boots of England's number 1 hitman. Whoever we signed would have been second fiddle to Kane. Make no mistake about that. If we sign someone else, that person will play second fiddle to Kane as well. That's just the way it will be. He doesn't need competition, because he scores every 94 minutes. Whatever competition he already has, it's working because he is almost fanatically driven.

Jannsen needs another season before we jump to conclusions about his value to the team, or lack of it.

Also, I think Sissoko deserves another year. I never though I'd say that, but after a pretty dire season, I think he showed some signs last night that he could have a valuable role at spurs. He looks very nervous on the ball at times, but he was playing an unfamiliar position & I thought he did it competently by & large.

But back to big Vinny. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Who do we bring in, who will definitely score goals in Kane's absence, but is willing/resigned to be a second string player? Or do we just rely on Poch to get him firing? If he goes, it won't be a big deal, but you can bet we won't be spending another £30 million on a bench warmer like we did last year on Sissoko.

I think Vincent will stay & he will play an important part next year. Just a hunch, but he will come good. :avbpray:

Nope on this occassion i think the cut throat approach will work better for us. Janssen does not suit our style of play and neither does Sissoko to be totally honest. If it was a case of them just playing poorly i might feel different but Janssens style in particular is the complete opposite of the style of football we play and what Poch is trying to instil.
We need to inject some pace into the squad (in particular the attacking positions and particularly because of the wembley pitch).
I'm extremley confident and excited about what we can achieve with a few tweaks.

Kane isn't blessed with pace nor is his understudy Janssen , I don't think they are dissimilar in style and Kane fits the system perfectly , obviously Kane is better but Janssen is capable.

Kane isn't blessed with pace nor is his understudy Janssen , I don't think they are dissimilar in style and Kane fits the system perfectly , obviously Kane is better but Janssen is capable.
They are very dissimilar in style of play and Kane's burst of pace is criminally underrated. On the turn he can burn defenders and leave them for dead.

I can accept the argument that as a Prem experienced player Sissoko should have settled more quickly, but what you're saying about Janssen is utter bollocks. Doesn't fit our style of play? Who are you to judge that? The guy has hardly started any games, mostly only enjoying ten minute cameos here and there and you think he has given all he can give in that time and is not capable of more? The fact is that his game has significantly improved in his time with us. His movement is much better and faster. His assists have improved as has his passing in general. He's come from an entirely different league and has to play third fiddle to a world class striker and Son. That you think you've seen all there is to see from him is silly stuff.

It will be up to Poch. If he stays then Poch obviously sees potential in him (and he has even talked himself of the player's improvement). I'd rather put faith in that judgment to be honest than listening to someone rubbishing the guy from an armchair.

Last edited:
Fair enough and I really hope he will too, but people repeatedly said that about Soldado. I was one of them.

Fiorentina away was when I finally realised he wouldn't, ever
:vdvhmm:
Janssen isn't Soldado. Soldado was a big name 27 year old. Janssen is still only 22. He's just a youngster...and their play is hardly identical.

Bloody hell, if we can still defend Lamela after getting one good season in four from him then we can sure as hell give Vinny another season. People should give the poor lad a fucking break. He's just a kid.

I can accept the argument that as a Prem experienced player Sissoko should have settled more quickly, but what you're saying about Janssen is utter bollocks. Doesn't fit out style of play? Who are you to judge that? The guy has hardly started any games, mostly only enjoying ten minute cameos here and there and you think he has given all he can give in that time and is not capable of more? The fact is that his game has significantly improved in his time with us. His movement is much better and faster. His assists have improved as has his passing in general. He's come from an entirely different league and has to play third fiddle to a world class striker and Son. That you think you've seen all there is to see from him is silly stuff.

It will be up to Poch. If he stays then Poch obviously sees potential in him (and he has even talked himself of the player's improvement). I'd rather put faith in that judgment to be honest than listening to someone rubbishing the guy from an armchair.
What the fuck are you talking about???
This is a spurs forum where most discussions are opinion based. Of course you should put more faith in Poch than me but to be honest does it actually look like Poch rates Janssen much to you?
Poch has stated that Janssen needs to improve...Poch has played others in the forward role ahead of Janssen and some of his substitutions show he doesnt rate him/trust him much.
Hasnt started many games? He's actually had a decent amount of starts actually so quit rewritting history. Assists have improved? Genuine question...how many assists does he have this season.

What the fuck are you talking about???
This is a spurs forum where most discussions are opinion based. Of course you should put more faith in Poch than me but to be honest does it actually look like Poch rates Janssen much to you?
Poch has stated that Janssen needs to improve...Poch has played others in the forward role ahead of Janssen and some of his substitutions show he doesnt rate him/trust him much.
Hasnt started many games? He's actually had a decent amount of starts actually so quit rewritting history. Assists have improved? Genuine question...how many assists does he have this season.

How many goals has Kane scored this season ?
How many goals has Son scored this season ?
Is Vincent getting less game time because he's simply not good enough ?

Son was average in his first season - look at him now. Fickle cunts wanted him gone in the summer

This instant gratification generation needs to fuck off - Vinny deserves another season no doubt

Totally agree. I never understand why anyone expects a young player from overseas to settle in the hardest league in the world when coming on as a sub. The kid has buckets of talent and has shown a good attitude.

They are very dissimilar in style of play and Kane's burst of pace is criminally underrated. On the turn he can burn defenders and leave them for dead.

I'd be interested to see comparisons on their respective stats for pace personally I don't think Kane is much quicker but is much sharper. certainly a stretch to suggest Kane he leaves defenders for dead because of his turn of pace.

in your opinion what are the key differences in their respective style of play ?

Strikers of old (and some still do) have a swag of arrogance, a selfish streak which some admire. We've seen this time and again where they unsettle the rest of the team if they don't get their own way. I for one believe Poch and Vincent have been honest about the project and Poch must have liked what he heard and saw back. I have been happy with Vinney and I think there is more to come.

Sissoko, certainly think players need more than a season to settle but it's the fact he can barely pass or control a ball that worries me, sure his link-up play might be off by not playing much, he might be caught napping if he was new to the league (which he is not). I get the impression he is a sensitive soul and is probably a decent person but for our quick intricate play i'm not so sure he can cut it. More than happy to be proved wrong. Lets not forget at the start of the season I was less than impressed with Christian however my opinion of him has changed the more i've watched.

happy to be educated...

Well we could possibly bring in another striker and loan him out to a premiership team in the hope he comes good and we can make a profit on him. As i said though..i would sell him.

But what other striker do we bring in?
Who will be happy being a bench warmer most games?
Do they suit Poch's style, or will they need time to adjust as well?
If they don't score 20 goals in their first season is it back to square one?

Would a striker at a smaller team be able to make the step up?
Would a bigger named striker be able to content themselves?

And what if we get rid of Janssen and the new guy and Harry get injured together?

Back
Top Bottom