Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Chelsea that created the ridiculous mentality that money is somehow different in football than it is in the real world amongst fans.

Big numbers and little numbers add up exactly the same and most people who have a mortgage wouldn't buy a better house to live in before selling the house they are currently living in , if they did and then struggled to sell or sold for less than they thought it would present a major likely catastrophic problem , yet that's how people want chairman of their football clubs to run their teams with players deals literally worth 100s × more than houses..

Strange attempt at a working analogy.

To be fair, the club have said that this would not affect transfers.

Whether you believe it or not is something else. Due to the nature of the funding there is probably some truth in what the club says. Of course it is in their interest to give this impression. More importantly I don't think the club believes the team can be improved by spending a lot (Sissoko scenario) and indeed there is no value in doing so.
it won't affect our transfers but we won't be competing with the other lot for £50-£70m £100-200k pw signings.
Rememner Willian. That tells you it all.
Martial, there's another one.
We may have to gamble, becuase they show any kind of form beforehand and they are worth 50m and £150k a week.
I could imagine the meltdown of we had signed Kante for peanuts whilst we missed out on Scheirderlin.

We've sold Njie.....getting rid of deadwood.
A good start to the window.

A couple of seasons ago I would have agreed with you, and I lost my shit over signing Alli, and using Dier in midfield.

"WE NEED SIGNINGS" I screamed.

Since then we signed Wanyama as our only real first team improvement and have gone from 5th to 2nd, exploring new tactics and bringing through youth and improving the players we have ten fold.

It's really, really odd that you don't see the benefits of our policy, and bang the same drum over and over again.

Davies and Trippier where two of our most important recent signings in the end during last season. Yet you think such additions are pointless. Another, Son, is also a squad player.
But squad cover is seen as some kind of insult to your needs.

You will no doubt be proven wrong again by our management next season, as I was two years ago....but you will just bang on about the next level no matter where we finish, and never accept that the club are doing a great job every window.
SISSOKO?!!!! I hear you scream...while ignoring that for every Sissoko, there is a Winks, Dier and Wanyama. 15M combined.

I have not mentioned next level. If we maintain last season's performances then I will take that every single time.

However it was a season which was astounding in its quality and where our collective was truly at that extra level. To do that again would be some feat.

My concern is staying there and that means new players in my opinion for all the reasons I have elucidated.

Wanyama worked, Sissoko was plain average and Janssen a 40:60 but with hope.

Mine is not griping for the sake of it but wanting us to start to turn plaudits, points and performances into trophies. The ultimate measure whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
I have not mentioned next level. If we maintain last season's performances then I will take that every single time.

However it was a season which was astounding in its quality and where our collective was truly at that extra level. To do that again would be some feat.

My concern is staying there and that means new players in my opinion for all the reasons I have elucidated.

Wanyama worked, Sissoko was plain average and Janssen a 40:60 but with hope.

Mine is not griping for the sake of it but wanting us to start to turn plauduts, points and performances into trophies. The ultimate measure whether you like it or not.
Getting off to a less than strong start is what has set us back more than anything last 2 seasons.
If we can start this season with the best XI fit (or almost all of them) then no new signings (if we make any) will get a sniff. Keeping everyone Poch wants to keep is the key. Keeping them fit is next.
Whilst a bigger squad will be needed, no doubt, the current bunch has the painful experience of being thereabouts for 2 years now, but experience is vital. Whilst all these big money signings are bedding in elsewhere (& given their fees, they would be expected to feature from an early stage) we have a slick machine already. I am unusually chilled out about this window. We don't need a huge overhaul like some of the teams around us & if we hit the ground running, we will have another great season. The trophies will come.

The Lowery story like all such gut-wrenching stories is always perspective on the relatively superficial nonsense of football support. Nobody would dispute that or ever want to swap places with the young man's parents and close family.

However the earth does not stop and so we have to look at THFC in a separate prism. It is a fcuking joke of the highest order if we have to sell to buy. I mean new stadium yes but we earned a fortune last season and have transfer surpluses so what is going on?

Do we not scout or look at areas to improve during the season?

Out of the top 7, still the club posing.

looking for a rise off of the back of a lovely little boys premature demise , you're a fucking disgrace.

We've sold Njie.....getting rid of deadwood.
A good start to the window.

A couple of seasons ago I would have agreed with you, and I lost my shit over signing Alli, and using Dier in midfield.

"WE NEED SIGNINGS" I screamed.

Since then we signed Wanyama as our only real first team improvement and have gone from 5th to 2nd, exploring new tactics and bringing through youth and improving the players we have ten fold.

It's really, really odd that you don't see the benefits of our policy, and bang the same drum over and over again.

Davies and Trippier where two of our most important recent signings in the end during last season. Yet you think such additions are pointless. Another, Son, is also a squad player.
But squad cover is seen as some kind of insult to your needs.

You will no doubt be proven wrong again by our management next season, as I was two years ago....but you will just bang on about the next level no matter where we finish, and never accept that the club are doing a great job every window.
SISSOKO?!!!! I hear you scream...while ignoring that for every Sissoko, there is a Winks, Dier and Wanyama. 15M combined.
There is something quite obvious right now that not many fans want to think about. Almost all of the big signings are being made by teams that underperformed last term. Most of the signings made so far are players intended to go into the first 11 in these sides. How many such players do we really need? None. Our first 11 is set. What we need is depth. That means a measured approach. It also means finding players who are better than our current second 11 but who are still happy on average wages and competing for a place. With both things in mind we aren't going to be splashing the cash early in the window on big money players, because that's not what we need. I'd add to that, that with the exception of Wanyama, all those we signed earlier in the window for the past two summers most knee jerkers have rushed to call flops (Kevin, NJie, Janssen, etc). Sissko, our most knee jerk signing in years, speaks for itself.

I do think we miss out sometimes with Levy's approach. I do think it sometimes frustrates and undermines our managers. But the fact is that since he has been in charge we have slowly progressed. So as fans we have to trust that he and Poch have a plan right now, especially since there is no hint of discontent between the two.

I expect no more than between one to three strategic signings this summer, and I will be perfectly satisfied if that happens and at least one players of them comes good.

There is something quite obvious right now that not many fans want to think about. Almost all of the big signings are being made by teams that underperformed last term. Most of the signings made so far are players intended to go into the first 11 in these sides. How many such players do we really need? None. Our first 11 is set. What we need is depth. That means a measured approach. It also means finding players who are better than our current second 11 but who are still happy on average wages and competing for a place. With both things in mind we aren't going to be splashing the cash early in the window on big money players, because that's not what we need. I'd add to that, that with the exception of Wanyama, all those we signed earlier in the window for the past two summers most knee jerkers have rushed to call flops (Kevin, NJie, Janssen, etc). Sissko, our most knee jerk signing in years, speaks for itself.

I do think we miss out sometimes with Levy's approach. I do think it sometimes frustrates and undermines our managers. But the fact is that since he has been in charge we have slowly progressed. So as fans we have to trust that he and Poch have a plan right now, especially since there is no hint of discontent between the two.

I expect no more than between one to three strategic signings this summer, and I will be perfectly satisfied if that happens and at least one players of them comes good.

I think many of us agree with that last sentence.
There is debate upon how much these players should cost. More if Walker,Sissoko, & Wimmer are sold as we will have more money but less if not. Not worried but if these players are going to contribute early in the season we need them in soon. Should we sell first? Well certainly re RB if we do actually sell. However we could replace Sissoko & Wimmer not with squad players but hopefully with players Poch trusts to start. This will put pressure on those 2 players to go if as I believe Poch wants them out. Like last year with Fazio if no sale agreed a loan is possible. We have money from sale of N'Jie & fazio although not a lot. We do need more quality players but 3 new players as SS states seems ok to me.

Some Trix stuff. Quite an interesting read

Asked my guy if there was any truth to the Goats rumours and he hasn't heard anything. about them falling out. A couple of things he did say though was that most managers get frustrated at this time of year because they know that what happens now(or indeed doesn't) could effectively get them sacked in a few months time.

On Levy.

He just laughed and said flip a coin. Some agents/chairmen hate dealing with him, while others relish the challenge, and know squeezing every last penny out of the deal is an achievement. He said believe it or not Levy is a very straight shooter, he may move the goal posts, but he will make it very very clear he is doing so and why. He then went on to tell me a story about Doug Ellis telling a player he had gotten a bid from United and it had been accepted, and did he want to go. Of course was the answer so he was told to get his stuff and he would be flying out to Spain where United were having a pre season training camp. For the next hour he has been giving it large in the dressing room, " see ya later lads I'm off to conquer the world" etc. Gone home told all the family they were moving up north, packed his stuff and jumped on the plane to Spain. Where he was met at the airport by representatives of Oxford United.
Any way he has got straight on the phone to Deadly, and Doug has told him quite clearly his future was not at Villa and Oxford were offering the most money, so that's where he was going.

On top of Sir Alex Ferguson's complimentary words about our squad being at lesst the equal of the great Barcelona squad of a few years ago, he also mentioned how we were the only team who guaranteed form and fitness for the whole 38 game season.

In fact I feel we should approach the Premier League and formally ask to play with a squad of only 14 players on match dsys. So unbelievable that we are according to so many posts on here.

Unfortunately it's all the guys that were around "in the good old days" that are the old bitter moany cunts who don't sing.

What we need is an injection of youth who get shit faced and belt out some chants. More accessible tickets, people being able to get one for their kids might help this in the future
Not too sure about that. At Wembley there were this group of 20 somethings. Arrived late in working suits.
Cunted Kane off non stop, pub player etc, etc. They were singing, but in between it was just fucking moaning about everything.
These are the lot who have been going for at most since 1990s.
If you take a look around when we go away ( the support genuinely perceived as one of the best) there are plenty of older people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom