Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh..so when the Premier league dished out the tv billions, they forget to include us I guess. Not to mention the Nike, AIA and other mega revenue streams.
So, we're not only in the unique position of having to use player sales to generate our only transfer funds, we now have to use player sales to fund the wages of those that are left.
Our financial position must be more precarious than I thought.
Do you really not think the stadium has any effect on this? Not looking for an argument, genuine question.

Barkley was the tenth highest in the PL for assists last season. Of the other nine, six would be earning well over 200k a week, which leaves Eriksen, Zaha, and Siggy. So in truth possibly the second best target we could get for the money, and who is available now.
Among PL players, but not when one looks further afield. Also, here's the problem with assists: they're not a measure of a player's ability. An assist is a pass converted to a shot that was scored. So the pass isn't what's being counted. You're measuring how much the other guy was converting his shots. Looking at how many chances a player created is better, and Ross looks ok from that perspective, but he's not the guy who is going to gut a defence the way Eriksen can with one pass (like he did repeatedly to Chelsea). That's what I mean by creative. Barkley doesn't do that.
Which of our players was experienced at the pressing style of Poch before he became manager at Spurs. Name me one of them. Just one lonely poor soul that was playing a pressing game?
Son, Wanyama, Lamela, and Alderweireld all had experience playing in teams which frequently used pressing before they came to Spurs. Many teams across Europe use pressing systems.
Poch said when you sign for Spurs you sign a contract to train with the team, i see fuck all wrong with being at a survival of the fittest and best club. That method has got us to where we are today.
He also said he's not going to sign a player who would block a young player coming through. Barkley would just get in the way of Edwards, Winks and Onomah. No thanks.
Your argument shot to fucking pieces, now fuck off back to your Championship Manager game.
Many words, attempted insults, no points raised, in my view. I've never played Championship manager, is it any fun?

Do you trust the manager?
Yes or no?

If yes, can you stop posting the same thing every day and be happy for him to build his team the way he sees fit?

Or no, don't.......as this is a democracy, post away.

Has anyone heard that John Thomas wants signings?

Why don't you tell some people John.
I was only making the point that that we shouldn't need a 40million transfer surplus to fund the wages of our remaining players, as was suggested in the post I was replying to.
Why do you always need to try and score cheap points by turning posts around to suit your agenda. Some of us have different opinions to you. Get over it.
And yes, Of course I trust Poch. What sort of question is that?
Do I trust Levy to back him.? No, I dont.

Among PL players, but not when one looks further afield. Also, here's the problem with assists: they're not a measure of a player's ability. An assist is a pass converted to a shot that was scored. So the pass isn't what's being counted. You're measuring how much the other guy was converting his shots. Looking at how many chances a player created is better, and Ross looks ok from that perspective, but he's not the guy who is going to gut a defence the way Eriksen can with one pass (like he did repeatedly to Chelsea). That's what I mean by creative. Barkley doesn't do that.

Son, Wanyama, Lamela, and Alderweireld all had experience playing in teams which frequently used pressing before they came to Spurs. Many teams across Europe use pressing systems.

He also said he's not going to sign a player who would block a young player coming through. Barkley would just get in the way of Edwards, Winks and Onomah. No thanks.

Many words, attempted insults, no points raised, in my view. I've never played Championship manager, is it any fun?

Not looking to get in the middle of anything but for the right price surely a talent that could be developed for a season or two and potentially offer versatility whilst Edwards and Onomah develop?

'living a life'

LOLOLLLOLOLOLOL

Well it's perfectly possible for the iPad be open on the coffee table, (get me) whilst people are watching TV, lolling about, listening to music, sitting in the garden watching the cricket with a cold one, and generally living a life. You're on thin ice with this line of attack mate, given your objection to everything but yourself. What's your point?

Do you really not think the stadium has any effect on this? Not looking for an argument, genuine question.
If Daniel had said that due to the stadium our hands will be tied in the transfer market fair enough...However, he's made it pretty fucking clear, on more than one occasion, how the stadium is being financed, and the costs would not in any way impact on the clubs transfer budget. So, while I dont expect us to be outspending the likes of City, utd, chelsea etc...., I would like to see us, at least attempting to match the purchasing power of a number of clubs like Palace, West Brom and Bournmouth etc
And one more thing. I've just answered a question you asked me. So before people like sammyspurs sammyspurs tell me to shut the fuck up about transfers, may I suggest that people like you stop asking me the fucking same questions ( with respect, like)

Last edited:
500+ pages of the same people making the same points over and over and over and over...
:pochfacepalm:
"I've made my point 10 times but if I reword it slightly one more time I'll definitely convince everyone to agree"
:pochshock:

Why do so many people hate Barkley?

His numbers and stats are pretty good on paper.

As for "He isn't worth £25 mil", have you seen the market this summer?

I think Barkley has great potential. I look at Tripper who was 24-25 when he joined us, yet he's improved a hell of a lot in just two years - to the point where when we sell the best RB in the league many of us aren't biting our finger nails to the bone in worry.

I think Poch could do wonders with the lad and I think Koeman has treated him like shit.

If we can get Barkley for less than £30 million then he's a bargain but will trust Poch on this one

Remember - if we win the league it doesn't make you a better person. Reflected glory is a cruel mistress, but I wouldn't mind one to test the theory though. Let's be honest here, until Poch arrived none of us thought we'd win the league in our lifetimes. Can't we just trust the fella?

If Daniel had said that due to the stadium are hands will be tied in the transfer market fair enough...However, he's made it pretty fucking clear, on moor than one occasion, how the stadium is being financed, and the costs would not in any way impact on the clubs transfer budget. So, while I dont expect us to be outspending the likes of City, utd, chelsea etc...., I would like to see us, at least attempting to match the purchasing power of a number of clubs like Palace, West Brom and Bournmouth Tec..
He did say that early doors but the cost of the stadium has gone up considerably since then. Also you thought he was lying about the stadium full stop so I don't get why you'd now fall back on something he's said to support your argument.

Poch has said more recently on a number of occasions that there are financial constraints because of the stadium and it is difficult.

I agree that it's frustrating that we've done nothing in the window so far and Levy's hardballing is undoubtedly his biggest flaw (from a fans perspective) but equally it's probably one of the reasons we are where we are as a club right now.

Also I don't care what the likes of Palace and West Brom are doing. We are in a position where to improve we need to buy players at the same level as Chelsea etc but we don't have the finances to do it so easily. I'm sure if we wanted to shop in the same bracket as Palace we could get our business done nice and early but it wouldn't improve us.

Last edited:
Remember - if we win the league it doesn't make you a better person. Reflected glory is a cruel mistress, but I wouldn't mind one to test the theory though. Let's be honest here, until Poch arrived none of us thought we'd win the league in our lifetimes. Can we just trust the fella?
Do you ever log off from this site?

Do you ever log off from this site?
images

Fair enough, but Levy won't pay nearly £30m for a bloke with 11 months left on his contract. It ain't gonna happen.

Didn't realise his contract was under a year

£25 million been mentioned a few times or a straight swap with Sissoko?

Didn't realise his contract was under a year

£25 million been mentioned a few times or a straight swap with Sissoko?
I agree Baz, but these swap deals rarely happen, more's the pity. (Whatever 'more's the pity' means) I am cliche man all of a sudden. See, I did it again. Fuck.

Last edited:
Remember - if we win the league it doesn't make you a better person. Reflected glory is a cruel mistress, but I wouldn't mind one to test the theory though. Let's be honest here, until Poch arrived none of us thought we'd win the league in our lifetimes. Can't we just trust the fella?

We have no chance of winning the league unless we spend £200m on unproven players, get with it Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom