Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technology and global broadcast has put an end to football as we knew it. We can all decide to turn off in this country but for every one of us there are a thousand new fans waiting in ASIA. The Premier league manage the global broadcast rights themselves, they produce and sell the games over and over. China have stumped up nearly £200m per season for the games. The money from broadcast alone is obscene, if you then look at other revenue streams the money they make is incredible.

At the moment the clubs are happy taking a share of the pie, it's easy money for them... It will be interesting to see if at some stage the 'bigger clubs' decide they want a bigger piece and look to produce their own league selling the rights themselves. It has the potential to gobble up the Premiership.

For FIFA they are still working towards critical mass, they are stripping back other ventures to focus on the far east. Once they have this saturation they will pivot – to where... Who knows. Lets not fool ourselves FIFA really care, they're like the IOC. They bang the 'for the masses' drum but it's all about sponsorship and revenue. The IOC draw in over $2b per cycle and give only a small portion out to developing sports. Hosts have to secure their own 'event level' sponsorship and state funding if they have any hope of delivering an event, the IOC manage the process but make a killing off the back of it.

I'm not sure I can name any sport that doesn't operate this way.

Our situation is more and more pathetic each day that goes on.

You know the thing that rankles above all else and as I jhave said that I struggle with imost s the fact we have sold players for big money.

It's the perception of giving us a fighting chance that is diminishing and it is highly unlikely Barcelona's cash won't be used to tempt at least one of our stars.

It must be hard to sign the right players but it always seems that bit harder for us.

Happy 65th birthday Sir Osvaldo Ardiles

The chances of us ever shocking the football world again with our transfer audacity seem very, very remote

PA-1184015.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom