Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Look, the only problem I have with this is that when we were first strongly linked with Llorente about 5 years ago I had stupidly similar hair to him. It was fabulous.

But the last five years have started to catch up to me and I'm starting to envy Eriksen at this point.

I read the first paragraph as Trump and put "It was amazing. So beautiful. So soft." and at the end of it I wondered what Trump has to do with Llorente, except the lovely hair, that it.

Sorry for disturbing this discussion.

Don't think we should rule out the possibility of him starting next weekend.

I know everyone was bothered by not getting a wide attacking player, but he is something different from the rest of our attacking options.

15 goals last season. Tough to keep a player like that on the bench

I know everyone was bothered by not getting a wide attacking player, but he is something different from the rest of our attacking options.

And who would you drop?

Well by starting him we would be dropping Dele, who got 18 goals last season. But it is always an option

I got you but I wouldn't drop Dele in favour of a player who hasn't played a single game for us, nor in favour of a formation we never use
Agree but I would like at some point to swap out Dier and play just one holding
Mid in Wanyama, Eriksen on the flanks with Son and have Alli playing in behind Kane and Llorente. Could work well when teams park the bus

Agree... I don't think he's gonna start any PL games just yet... But he is gonna be an upgraded plan B to Janssen!

We might have to tinker our formation slightly to accommodate him... But if the Plan A formation isn't working during a particular game, then we SHOULD look to change it up in an attempt to change the game... rather than persisting with a system once it becomes plainly obvious an opposing team have got the hang of (see Burnley week for example)

Don't get me wrong, Poch's system WILL work more often than it won't, but we have to give the opposition the credit of being clever enough to work out a system to counter it...

And THAT'S where WE have to be even cleverererer(!) and come up with another formation/system to beat THAT!
.. and that's when Señor Llorente comes in!

I've always been a big admirer of Llorente and really wanted him when he was at Bilbao - after watching his goals for Swansea last season I didn't realise how much of a beast in the air he is!!

Get those balls in the box lads!

All very well signing this chap but i hope there's some hours spent practicing crossing on the training ground to compliment him. Bar eriksen, tripps & dier they can't cross for shit. tripps wont even play now.

I've always been a big admirer of Llorente and really wanted him when he was at Bilbao - after watching his goals for Swansea last season I didn't realise how much of a beast in the air he is!!

Get those balls in the box lads!

It's a legitimate nightmare for defenders at Wembley - stick close for a ball to feet or go zonal to stop timed runs.

We haven't had a dominant header for a long time. Mido in his first (very good) season won everything in the air, before he hit the pies.

I know Llorente isn't quite in the same class but Christian Vieri in his pomp was the most destructive, dominant centre forward I've ever seen and defenders just didn't know what they should do against him. He would pull 2 or 3 defenders out of position to deal with his physical threat. We could do with a little of that chaos sometimes.

It's a legitimate nightmare for defenders at Wembley - stick close for a ball to feet or go zonal to stop timed runs.

We haven't had a dominant header for a long time. Mido in his first (very good) season won everything in the air, before he hit the pies.

I know Llorente isn't quite in the same class but Christian Vieri in his pomp was the most destructive, dominant centre forward I've ever seen and defenders just didn't know what they should do against him. He would pull 2 or 3 defenders out of position to deal with his physical threat. We could do with a little of that chaos sometimes.
Berbatov was excellent in the air. many a goal was scored via those flick on's to keane,

Berbatov was excellent in the air. many a goal was scored via those flick on's to keane,

He was excellent in the air, and did cross my mind - but didn't carry that physical threat that a Toni, Vieri... or even a Duncan Ferguson had. The great thing about Berbs was that he could either flick the ball off with his head or just as competently let the ball drop and control with a touch - he was a very different kind of threat.

He was excellent in the air, and did cross my mind - but didn't carry that physical threat that a Toni, Vieri... or even a Duncan Ferguson had. The great thing about Berbs was that he could either flick the ball off with his head or just as competently let the ball drop and control with a touch - he was a very different kind of threat.
yeah he was very strong, probably stronger than people realized but i know what you mean, he was more a sheringham than a vieri.

I can't see Poch having 2 strikers on the bench. He will have Llorente as sub unless resting Kane in rotation. Janssen will be on Carabao cup and may be FA cup matches.

I can't see Poch having 2 strikers on the bench. He will have Llorente as sub unless resting Kane in rotation. Janssen will be on Carabao cup and may be FA cup matches.
Why not? I GK, 2 Defence, 2 midfielders & 2 attacking players. With Dier involved whether starting on on bench we have more flexibility.

This for me was a very un-Poch like signing - he's basically the antithesis player to our pressing, dynamic style of play and movement. Having said that - we have been poor aerially going forward so perhaps he can bring some physicality to our final move.

And of course - what a stud!

Fernando-Llorente-fernando-llorente-16089772-422-506.jpg

yeah, janssen has no place on the bench now that we have a good back up striker. it takes more than one goal from open play in a whole season to deserve a bench place in a team chasing top 4 at the very least. first he needs to prove himself in the league cup and fa cup.

Back
Top Bottom