The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur V BVB

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where I was standing the atmosphere was great - lots of singing. Even a rendition of the Park Lane Shelf Side chants! Last year I was up the other end and thought the atmosphere was crap. The size and dynamics of Wembley mean where you are has a big influence on your experience.

Yes. Lost my voice last year and this. Same location basically. Continuous chanting. It's not until you watch it on TV you realise your just about heard.
It's just too big.
Unless you coral all the singing fans in one section.
Safe standing has a role to play in this.
It will weed out the sit and watchers from the stand and singers.

We just saw Spurs beat one of the best teams in Europe in the Champions League.

Imagine knowing that was around the corner in 2013.
You're being far too generous. For someone people that was unthinkable 3 weeks ago, when the summer transfer thread hit maximum melt and one or two people were even back to claiming we'd be lucky to finish 7th!

The club should have a singing section (at a reduced rate) to encourage the harmonised and coherent singing and support and then the team will get a better level of backing and it won't always sound like the visitors are the only ones singing.
Pay on the door (no cash only card - members only for security reasons) first come first served - means groups of mates can be together, start the atmosphere early and would have to be keen.

It is a gross cloudy muggy day here in NYC, but boy is it a beautiful day!!!!

Felt like last night was a boys becoming men type of performance.

Important to build off this.

For the USA Fox Soccer coverage, all we saw was the ref presenting Jan with a red card. Never saw a 2nd yellow.
Even though I had been watching, I forgot it was his second yellow, once I saw the red only, I thought it was a straight red.

He was all over the place last night, amazing effort. Thankfully, he'll only miss one game, and it's not Real.

Alli's suspension helped. Son offered that counter attack option....

Without wanting to over use the word "pace" in here, both our goals in the first half were from breakaways that required just that. I wouldn't have thought that Dele (God bless him) would have been able to finish the moves of either Son or Harry last night.

He is without doubt one of the best young talents in European football but is still learning his trade. By luck or judgement Poch got the system spot on last night and we caught Dortmund out with our set-up.

We now have more than one way to skin an opponent, something that i think Poch has been working on since he came to the Club which is something perhaps only a foreign coach can see and appreciate. British coaches tend to be one dimensional is their style of play, but Poch very much like Conte and Pep set up their system to outwit their opponent.

Sounds daft but I think if we can pull off a draw in Dortmund I'd say we were as good as through.

We SHOULD beat Nicosia home and away, as should Dortmund. We will be lucky to get anything from either Real games as would Dortmund. IF this is the case us finishing second all comes down to one game.

Tall order but now I've seen we have a plan B I'm more confident that we can progress.

Its on the head to head rule isn't it? So if we beat APOEL home and away and Dortmund to the same but we both lose to Madrid. Even a 1-0 loss in Germany should see us through as we beat them 3-1. Which is nice.

If we and Dortmund both lose to RM, we lose in Germany, and both beat Cypress United then wouldn't it go to GD?

If that's the case we have to beat APOEL like they owe us money.

If we and Dortmund both lose to RM, we lose in Germany, and both beat Cypress United then wouldn't it go to GD?

If that's the case we have to beat APOEL like they owe us money.

It goes to the head to head games I believe, not definite but I believe that's how it pans out?

If that is the case then, as pointed out earlier, we would go through even if we lose in Dortmund by the odd goal. The GD in the other games wouldn't come in to it ( like I said, this is not definite) but maybe someone could clear this up?

It goes to the head to head games I believe, not definite but I believe that's how it pans out?

If that is the case then, as pointed out earlier, we would go through even if we lose in Dortmund by the odd goal. The GD in the other games wouldn't come in to it ( like I said, this is not definite) but maybe someone could clear this up?
Yep goes on head to head with the club you are tied with only.

Isn't it amazing how many are banging on about how their disallowed goal changed the game and they would have gone on to beat us.. Yet no one seems interested in the fact that their goal was in fact offside as well..

The envy and jealousy i've witnessed today is beautiful..

Tie breakers for UCL equal points are as follows
1. Points
2. Goal difference between tied teams (essentially H2H)
3. Goals scored between tied teams
4. Away goals scored in H2H matches between tied teams
5. Overall GD
6. Overall Goals scored
7. Overall away goals
8. Overall wins
9. Away wins
10. Disciplinary points
11. UEFA Club coefficient

We won the game.
When we dominate teams and they get draws or results it's becuase they did well.
Like Burnley or Chelsea.
We had the better chances, they were better first half we second.
They had a goal wrong ruled offside but one that should never have happened becuase of offside.
So, big deal.
We had a player who got a red card for nothing.
We had 2 players out in Rose and Dele.
We had a kid playing his 2nd game and a debutant with no match fitness at the back. Hardly a familiar back line.
Liverpool won the EC by hetting a fluke 2nd goal and then a Gerrard dive to get them level from the spot Outplayed and outclassed first half and all their goals in six minutes in the 2nd . Won it with a bit of luck.
Do you ever hear that.

For the USA Fox Soccer coverage, all we saw was the ref presenting Jan with a red card. Never saw a 2nd yellow.
It was the same in the UK. In fact, I am pretty sure that different networks in different countries don't have their own cameras or editing set up to film the game. It's all the same footage broadcast on each channel, just with different commentators over the top.

Can't disagree with much but especially the bit about our fans, we really didn't turn up and who did were embarrassingly quiet. There were a few bars of Maurice the manager being magical but for most of it we weren't above a murmur. Every time I got up to even applaud I was looked at like I had two heads. I know we had a torrid time at Wembley until now but we must do better as a fanbase. Not filling our ground and being outsung on a Champions League opener to above credible opponents is detestable. Credit to the Dortmund lot they made a noise
I went to the Chelsea match. My first time in London, first time to a PL match. If I can offer just one perspective, with apologies if it's been stated on here already.

It seems to me that the problem with Wembley is not the size of the pitch, but the size of the stadium. The fans are further away from the field. People who had season tickets at WHL now seem to be (reading this board) dispersed all over the place.

Taking nothing away from Dortmund, their support is amazing, for visitors it's much easier to be heard. If Tottenham has 60,000 fans show up, but only 15,000 want to chant and sing, and they end up dispersed among any of about 70,000 seats then it is difficult to get everyone involved. The 5,000+/- away fans are their most ardent supporters (would have to be in order to get tickets, and travel to the game no?) and are all together in one section making it quite easy to be organized.

When I was at Wembley I made the mistake of sitting just above and outside of the Chavs fans. It was very hard to hear/understand the chants from the other side of the stadium. The only chants our section joined in on was "Come on You Spurs", and even then, it was maybe half the section.

I loved my trip, and I'm not complaining, but that wasn't the atmosphere (or result!) I was hoping for. I didn't go on youtube to learn the chants for nothing! So it's just made me even more resolved to come back to the new WHL and see another match. As others have said, it's only for 1 season, and in the end the payoff should be well worth it.

Last edited:
The media seem to be on a loop....

if we win/play well then all of our players are going to leave

if we lose/play badly then no one wants our players because we are shit

We need to get used to the media negativity, and their driven agenda that there is a new, short term kid in town, putting traditional "top four" teams noses out of joint.

Let them think this way, and big up our competing adversaries, because their nativity and lack of respect for what is happening at this club, will eventually come back to haunt them.

Very concerned about the attendance being so low...what does that mean for us later down the season when it's not a European glamour tie?
To be honest I'd much rather have a lower attendance with a higher proportion of real Spurs than having some of the people who were at the CL games last season. There were clearly lots of plastics last time as they didn't bother turning up last night having already "experienced" the Champions League last season. Fuck em. The attendance against Barnsley will be even lower and an even higher proportion of proper yids.

As for the atmosphere I can't recall a good atmosphere at the new Wembley, including finals etc. The sound just doesn't travel. It wasn't too bad where I am actually, but is very variable depending on the people immediately around you. Unlike the Burnley game, the Lane would have been rocking last night, but there's no point in dwelling on that now.

And Dortmund would have outsung any English club, as has been said. A better representation of our support will be our support out there, which IMO will compare well to their support last night, even if not quite as noisy.

Back
Top Bottom