Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we could have signed Kovacic, but only if Lloris had gone the other way... or perhaps Kane. Would you have liked that? That's what Chelsea have done. And then they've spent a fucktonne on a highly rated gamble goalie that everyone apart from Totti Totti had never heard of. Is that what you would prefer?

absolutely not Sausage. I'd much rather this team stay as it is than risk it for a tin pot player. Ultimately I think we've done the right thing in times where inflation makes Andre Grey cost the same as when Maradona went to Napoli, it's just a shame we weren't able to shift a couple and bring in something a little more match winning from the bench that could push the first team.

All in all I'm happy and I 100% back Pochettino for not being trigger happy when it comes to get success quick schemes but I would have also loved to see at minimum another prospect for nurturing like Foyth etc walk through the doors this time around. I won't get irate though, we've kept the best Spurs squad I've ever seen together, with them all one year wiser and closer to their peak

Last edited:
You'd think they could have learned something from last year wouldn't you.

Meanwhile Toffees fan just on TS: "I really wish we'd give <x academy bloke> a chance".

To be fair, 50m on Richarlison is a wayyyy better spend than 50m on Siggurdsson.
Signing Klaassen was a complete joke too.

Last edited:
The resolution of that paradox is very easy. It was always pure unvarnished bullshit that lack of CL football was a hindrance. It was 0% that, 100% lack of wages, end of story.

CL dosh & new stadium was meant to represent those those wage hikes... TV money boom a few years back, Neymar-Mania & Brexit had other ideas.

We didn't sell anyone important. So it's not a bad situation. It's disappointing that we didn't strengthen, but such is life. Kovacic would have been decent, but he was part of a bigger deal and as such we could not get him.

The supporters trust has spoken out of turn and essentially attacked Levy. They are a disgrace for this and they do not speak for me. Their open letter is an act of childish attention seeking from people naive to the nature of negotiation and market forces. Cringe.

I don't think it was too bad. This is something that hasn't happened in the premier league for 15 years. I do think the World Cup threw a huge wrench into it.

I agree that most fans will overlook that we were able to keep the squad together. We'll have Lucas Moura now who i think will have a huge season. Expect Toby to stay, who's basically playing for a new contract from either Spurs or another club. I expect us to have a top 2 defense in the league this season.

Still feel CM will be a weakness but we have plenty of cover and variety in the other positions.

I'm calling it now, for the money they have and the size of their club, I think Bournemouth did the best business this window getting players like Brooks & Lerma in and keeping hold of their best players. No Football Manager played with their market, I think they did pretty well all in all

I'm calling it now, for the money they have and the size of their club, I think Bournemouth did the best business this window getting players like Brooks & Lerma in and keeping hold of their best players. No Football Manager played with their market, I think they did pretty well all in all

I'll be overjoyed to look like an idiot in a couple months, but I actually think Woolwich did really well. There is still a talent gap to the Top 4, but at least they won't fold like an accordion under the slightest pressure now.

Thst statement

THFC’s inability to make any improvements during the summer transfer window to a squad that is so close to achieving great things has dismayed many fans.

As a Supporters’ Trust, it is not our job to involve ourselves in on-field matters. But we have a responsibility to voice the concerns of our fans about the Club’s ambition and strategy on the pitch. And to ask for a full and believable explanation of how this transfer window has played out.

We do not believe in spending money or signing players for the sake of it. We recognise the achievement in keeping our squad together, for now at least, and in getting key players to agree new contracts. And we commend manager Mauricio Pochettino’s professionalism in his deadline day press conference. He has shown once again his ability to make the most of what he is given.

We have much to be proud of at Spurs. Nine of our players featured in the World Cup semi-finals. Over the last few years, a manager we revere has forged an exciting team that has challenged for top honours. And more fans than the Club cares to acknowledge recognise the challenges and achievements of running a sustainable business and building a top class stadium.

But fans come to watch the team. A team that will start the season with many of its key members still tired after the World Cup. And a squad that most rational observers would agree could benefit from more depth. It is not unreasonable to question if it was really the case that, alone among Europe’s top clubs, Spurs could find no player who would improve their squad while our rivals strengthened theirs.

Earlier this year, the Club objected to THST’s criticism of steep ticket price rises. It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made.

We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending.

We are told that we don’t have to sign players because we develop our youth. Yet four of our most promising prospects left the Club this summer. Of the current first team squad, just two regulars have come up through the ranks.

We love what has been developed, but for all the great football we’ve seen over the last few seasons, there are no trophies to show.

We have the highest paid Chairman in the Premier League. Our fans pay some of the highest prices in world football. Our support for our team and our admiration for what has been achieved remains strong. However, we believe fans are entitled to a full and credible explanation of what has happened this summer.

THST Board
9 August 2018

THST comment on transfer window

Would Poch really be as happy as he is with this transfer window if hadnt been given a fat ass contract. From someone who was posturing with his " business done early" and comes out with "risky and brave" stuff before the contract, he turned all limpy with his we will see what happens, maybe "1 or 0 or 2, 3 ,4 signings"(even numbers in the wrong fucking order). Of course hes going to be happy, any normal human would be happy with a large amount of money being deposited in their account.
I don't think he'll be happy. But he obviously aint gonna bite off the hand that feeds him.
He does a great job of playing to the media and putting a brave face on things, but inside he must be fucking boiling.
Lets all hope he can channel that inner anger into somehow producing another miracle by getting 100% and more out this squad again in the season ahead

Last edited:
Thst statement

THFC’s inability to make any improvements during the summer transfer window to a squad that is so close to achieving great things has dismayed many fans.

As a Supporters’ Trust, it is not our job to involve ourselves in on-field matters. But we have a responsibility to voice the concerns of our fans about the Club’s ambition and strategy on the pitch. And to ask for a full and believable explanation of how this transfer window has played out.

We do not believe in spending money or signing players for the sake of it. We recognise the achievement in keeping our squad together, for now at least, and in getting key players to agree new contracts. And we commend manager Mauricio Pochettino’s professionalism in his deadline day press conference. He has shown once again his ability to make the most of what he is given.

We have much to be proud of at Spurs. Nine of our players featured in the World Cup semi-finals. Over the last few years, a manager we revere has forged an exciting team that has challenged for top honours. And more fans than the Club cares to acknowledge recognise the challenges and achievements of running a sustainable business and building a top class stadium.

But fans come to watch the team. A team that will start the season with many of its key members still tired after the World Cup. And a squad that most rational observers would agree could benefit from more depth. It is not unreasonable to question if it was really the case that, alone among Europe’s top clubs, Spurs could find no player who would improve their squad while our rivals strengthened theirs.

Earlier this year, the Club objected to THST’s criticism of steep ticket price rises. It told us we could not expect players to be signed or wages to be competitive while we opposed those ticket price rises. Fans have paid the prices asked. And yet no signings have been made.

We know that gate receipts are no longer as fundamental as they once were for financing transfer fees or wages. But ticketing income at Spurs is now higher than it has ever been. We are curious as to what that money has been used for. We have been told the stadium build will not affect transfer spending.

We are told that we don’t have to sign players because we develop our youth. Yet four of our most promising prospects left the Club this summer. Of the current first team squad, just two regulars have come up through the ranks.

We love what has been developed, but for all the great football we’ve seen over the last few seasons, there are no trophies to show.

We have the highest paid Chairman in the Premier League. Our fans pay some of the highest prices in world football. Our support for our team and our admiration for what has been achieved remains strong. However, we believe fans are entitled to a full and credible explanation of what has happened this summer.

THST Board
9 August 2018
Self important cunts

To be fair, 50m on Richarlison is a wayyyy better spend than 50m on Siggurdsson.
Signing Klassen was a complete joke too.

All question marks remain for me on that front... Buying Siggy itself (regardless of the price) wasn't their problem. He was theoretically their wisest signing if anything.

Silva has inherited a bigger puzzle than Koeman with even more pieces to go with his lesser experience. Big ask IMO.

His primary aim isnt self enrichment but anyone who has just been paid so much money by their employer is hardly going to be unhappy so soon after being paid so much money. Are you saying Poch is that ungrateful?

As for the rest of the creepy weird stuff...classy as always.
You are the one who suggested he is a selfish, greedy wee south american cunt, not I.

Thst statement

THST Board
9 August 2018

THST comment on transfer window
Thanks Paddy.
And congratulations to the trust.
Love the way they highlighted Levy setting an example as the highest paid chairman in English football during this difficult time of austerity.
Great work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom