Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyways, its really great to be back. Missed you all x

I picked up on the fact a few of you had been enquiring after my two week enforced holiday with sammyspurs sammyspurs , ArcspacE ArcspacE and SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur .
So I thought it might be rude not to give you all a few details of the absolute blast we all had together.

Here we are, the evening of our arrival

1194381_Film-Stills_Film-The-Inbetweeners-Movie_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqjZCqkh21MTy1LvXE-PcUNQgWqwm85JEWpGVhFb46TTg.jpg

Now, that Sammy turns out to be a proper chilled fella when he gets away from this place. Proper chilled.
He spent every day bar none in and out the pool. Mind you, he spent every evening clearing up the fucking buffet too!

Here he is, day 12, when he found out Poch suggested we may make zero signings this window

tenor.gif

Now ole' Arcy was a surprise package too. Really let his hair down, the old cunt. Loves the great out doors, does arcy. He aint no pool slouch. Hiking, Cycling, Horse Trekking. You name it, he does it.
Mind you, he's another you need to make sure you get to the buffet before in the evening, the greedy fucker.

Here's Arcy, day 11

4583287500000578-5000400-image-a-22_1508496696442.jpg

Me. Well I prefered the bar tbh. Nothing like a few beers to chill out in the heat of a Spurs transfer window

This is me, day 12, when I heard the same news as Sammy about possible zero signings

alcohol-drunk-orig-e1486089671747.jpg

Now, what about SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur .

Unfortunately, we couldn't get the poor cunt out of his room from day 2 onwards.
He spent the whole facking fortnight researching the TFC archives and re-visiting ancient transfer window papyrus scrolls to produce his latest dissertation on how to be a sad cunt and ridicule other forum members who dont have the wonderful gift of hindsight that only I possess.
See below

Since you ask...

Well, of course you are chief horsenosher.

I was curious as to just why you are chief horsenosher (before you try deflect about time spent, thanks to Admin Admin fantastic search bar it took 20 minutes) as it's all well and good me saying it to be funny, but unlike you, I like to add substance to my cunt-offs, a deeper cunt-off.

So just to show how much of a fucking iron you (and your kind) really are, you've been polluting this board with your anti-Levy nonsense since 2014.

Happy with our transfer strategy ?

Posted in 2014, a thread created just to say you don't like our transfer strategy. Following a season in which Spurs came 6th. This will be important later.

Moving onto 2015...

The January window thread is much of the same. The Summer one is a FUCKING DOOZY.

Particular highlights include...

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...discussion-thread.13285/page-1329#post-856843

''I'd rather Berahino than Pato.
As for the transfer fee. I couldn't give a fuck''

''BetVictor have slashed their odds to 6/4 against Behrahino signing for us. Would be a great signing. Pay the fucking money Levy. Before someone else steps in''

''I am desparate for us to get Berahino.''

''we should not be paying 25million for Berahino''

''The thought of us signing Victor Moses is now getting me quite hard''

''I think we're going to sign Charlie Austin. I backed it last night with BetVictor st 16/1. He's now 6/1 with and even shorter with most bookies. He'll be relatively cheap and low maintenance. It's gonna happen I tell ya''

''I can't see it. But yes. Fellaini would be a good signing. In my opinion.''

''Fuck Carrick. That's a backward step of huge proportions. It's the kind of signing you'd expect of a club like West Ham or Sunderland''

Yet, you know exactly what is needed with our transfer strategy, right? Saido Berahino, Charlie Austin, Poohead Fellaini and Victor Moses. But Carrick wasn't good enough? But you know better than Poch and Levy, correct? You'd rather see them take a place in our squad ahead of our youth?

Another little gem in this thread...

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...discussion-thread.13285/page-1061#post-844113

''Stoke.......Rivals......To Spurs ??? ......Fucking Stoke

I`ve been thinking about this statement. And it`s actually starting to hit home that it`s absolutely fucking true''

After all your bluster about Spurs being the biggest and best club in the world you say this. This is the funny thing. You'll criticise me for finding this post but won't maybe take some introspection into the fact you are always, always wrong. Like, NW1 levels of wrong. And just like your fellow horsenosher (#2) you simply cannot admit it.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...discussion-thread.13285/page-1461#post-861392

''I said 10th to 14th with the squad as it was before Clinton signed. With the 2 new boys, I would say between 8th and 11th.
edit: if Kane gets injured or loses form early on, i`d knock it back down a few notches''

*facepalm*

We move on...2016.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...-discussion-thread.15472/page-215#post-941358

''Spurs are the biggest club in the world''

Hold up, weren't we Stoke's rivals just 6 months before?

Transfers - Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

''I'd be fucking delighted if we sign Sissoko''

Just like you would have been with Berahino and Charlie Austin. You just want transfers. They don't have to be good, you just want to see money spent. No judgement involved. Spin the wheel and spend.

''Seems like Everton, Stoke, Leicester and Bournemouth etc..
are leapfrogging us too now''

We'll move on from 2016 now I've spotted a post of you slagging off Ryan Mason.

Years before this post, we came 2nd and 3rd. Wanna guess where we finished in this one?

Finally the piece de resistance from 2015-16.

''If we signed no-one else, I would expect us to finish around 10th - 14th. Depending on our Europa cup run.''

This was your prediction. The season we came 3rd.

And you wonder why you get such hostility from myself and others? We have had to put up with your bullshit for half a decade. And it's provably wrong. But you're so fucking arrogant that anyone who tells you this, is Levy over Spurs. When it's you that predicts us coming midtable, calling Stoke our rivals, begging for Saido Berahino.

It was you that said 2nd place was looking like Thursday nights in Europa.

As for your question about the rest...

Your fellow horsenoshers are The Dane The Dane who has given up on every Spurs side in December in existence. Spent the 2017 transfer thread telling us all Ross Barkley was the saviour of Tottenham Hotspur and that Everton will be a danger to us. I see he's melted into a smelly goop again. Art Vandelay Art Vandelay who is your self-proclaimed bodyguard who said he would ''be on me like a rash'' whenever I got in a row with you, then put me on ignore. Some bodyguard. The pum pum. NW1Spur NW1Spur who said ''we are absolutely not a top 4 side'' this season and of course Erik Lamela. Finally Don Giovanni Don Giovanni the gooner. Who being a gooner, shares the other horsenoshers opinions, which is slagging off Spurs.

As for scott scott he's right, he hasn't got it in him to be a horsenosher. He's a Johnnosher. He's your fluffer, making sure you're hard and ready to go when you get to the horse. Those boys above are your roadies, Scott is just your groupie hoping that one day, you'll let him in the gang, but he'll always be the bitch. The fluffer too ugly, racist and meek to be front and centre. But he'll be there ploughing himself as you nosh the horse.

I know you'll all just deflect this post about how long it took, or how dragging up the past is silly. But when you act like you do, you need receipts when you start lying and pretending you are the one with all the answers and digging out others.

You predicted we'd finish ''around 10th - 14th'' the season we came 3rd.

YOU AIN'T GOT THE ANSWERS SWAY!

THE FIVE HORSENOSHERS OF THE APOCALYPSE

5_horsemen_of_the_apocalypse_by_yurichan99-d8ewczv.jpg

giphy.gif

images

too-long-didnt-read-gif-6.gif

Insta-bin me again motherfuckers! I'm just asking for it.

1xrW.gif

We tried to get him out a bit. But all to no avail

Spursdem, day 4

handsome-nerdy-adult-using-a-vintage-computer-tv-a-handsome-and-nerdy-adult-using-a-vintage-stock-photo_csp8611862.jpg

Anyway, the rest of us refused let his hermitry spoil our jaunt.

Here we are on the final night, where we really did let ourselves go.
Like I said earlier, a few too many pies, maybe.

tenor.gif

And here's ole' Spursdem. Emerging from his room on day 14

images

Anyway, that's all for now. As I said, great to be back home.
Next few days should be classic.

COYMFS!

The mushrooms kicked in big time last night...

Was sure I had Poch's "risks" clear in my head... John Thomas John Thomas was right, we were about to make one or two big name signings. No other way it could be interpreted.

Right?

:pochserious:

Then sammyspurs sammyspurs made me realise that it is riskier to buy players from lower leagues. So I'm wondering if Poch actually meant we're going to buy players from even lower than league 1, all the while he signs a bumper new deal.

:pochsmirk:

SpursFan2000 SpursFan2000 kamikazes in with Post Of The Summer.

i can take a risk on a car and not have buying or spending anyone why and would 10 grand no but then another 10 selling who knows? again an argument and poch said yes and levy said no and that is what i say not surprising me at all who is. good. fine.

Hrytn Hrytn gets in from the pub, ripe for an argument and even though no one seems to know what his argument is, they are only too happy to oblige. (I'm not 100% clear if he is sammyspurs sammyspurs ' un-quoting, linguistically unleashed alter-ego/multi. I wonder how long he can hold out before he links the Oxford dictionary definition of DELUDED).

:avbcringe:

Sammy and ArcspacE ArcspacE actually agreed on something, although they (for once) completely ignored each other's posts.

I was flying by the time Fidel Castro Fidel Castro accused SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur (if only you were a centralist dictator) of getting a bit Mussolini.

Somewhere I watched a match where we had tenuously been linked (on these very pages) with the majority of midfielders on show... Moutinho, Isco, Joao Mario, Bruno Fernandes, Thiago, Iniesta, Quaresma, Carvalho. All of whom look decent btw.

Meanwhile some cunt :cunt: has now started a second transfer thread, which I also have to keep on top of, just because of all the cunt-offs in this one. But all the cunts have got wind and are heading over there so I figure this is the safest place to be.

At the end of it all our spend (fuck all) is directly comparative to our net spend (fuck all) and it even looks like well miss out on Jack Grealish.

I live in fear of the day my wife searches my internet history and sees the shit I've read through on here.

Ah yes. I think that was me

Out of interest, who are your other 4 horsenoshers?

I'm guessing scott scott , The Dane The Dane , Fidel Castro Fidel Castro and Airfixx Airfixx

Let me know how many I scored next week, eh'
Since you ask...

Well, of course you are chief horsenosher.

I was curious as to just why you are chief horsenosher (before you try deflect about time spent, thanks to Admin Admin fantastic search bar it took 20 minutes) as it's all well and good me saying it to be funny, but unlike you, I like to add substance to my cunt-offs, a deeper cunt-off.

So just to show how much of a fucking iron you (and your kind) really are, you've been polluting this board with your anti-Levy nonsense since 2014.

Happy with our transfer strategy ?

Posted in 2014, a thread created just to say you don't like our transfer strategy. Following a season in which Spurs came 6th. This will be important later.

Moving onto 2015...

The January window thread is much of the same. The Summer one is a FUCKING DOOZY.

Particular highlights include...

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...discussion-thread.13285/page-1329#post-856843

''I'd rather Berahino than Pato.
As for the transfer fee. I couldn't give a fuck''

''BetVictor have slashed their odds to 6/4 against Behrahino signing for us. Would be a great signing. Pay the fucking money Levy. Before someone else steps in''

''I am desparate for us to get Berahino.''

''we should not be paying 25million for Berahino''

''The thought of us signing Victor Moses is now getting me quite hard''

''I think we're going to sign Charlie Austin. I backed it last night with BetVictor st 16/1. He's now 6/1 with and even shorter with most bookies. He'll be relatively cheap and low maintenance. It's gonna happen I tell ya''

''I can't see it. But yes. Fellaini would be a good signing. In my opinion.''

''Fuck Carrick. That's a backward step of huge proportions. It's the kind of signing you'd expect of a club like West Ham or Sunderland''

Yet, you know exactly what is needed with our transfer strategy, right? Saido Berahino, Charlie Austin, Poohead Fellaini and Victor Moses. But Carrick wasn't good enough? But you know better than Poch and Levy, correct? You'd rather see them take a place in our squad ahead of our youth?

Another little gem in this thread...

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...discussion-thread.13285/page-1061#post-844113

''Stoke.......Rivals......To Spurs ??? ......Fucking Stoke

I`ve been thinking about this statement. And it`s actually starting to hit home that it`s absolutely fucking true''

After all your bluster about Spurs being the biggest and best club in the world you say this. This is the funny thing. You'll criticise me for finding this post but won't maybe take some introspection into the fact you are always, always wrong. Like, NW1 levels of wrong. And just like your fellow horsenosher (#2) you simply cannot admit it.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...discussion-thread.13285/page-1461#post-861392

''I said 10th to 14th with the squad as it was before Clinton signed. With the 2 new boys, I would say between 8th and 11th.
edit: if Kane gets injured or loses form early on, i`d knock it back down a few notches''

*facepalm*

We move on...2016.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/f...-discussion-thread.15472/page-215#post-941358

''Spurs are the biggest club in the world''

Hold up, weren't we Stoke's rivals just 6 months before?

''I'd be fucking delighted if we sign Sissoko''

Just like you would have been with Berahino and Charlie Austin. You just want transfers. They don't have to be good, you just want to see money spent. No judgement involved. Spin the wheel and spend.

''Seems like Everton, Stoke, Leicester and Bournemouth etc..
are leapfrogging us too now''

We'll move on from 2016 now I've spotted a post of you slagging off Ryan Mason.

we always fall away in the run in.

Years before this post, we came 2nd and 3rd. Wanna guess where we finished in this one?

Finally the piece de resistance from 2015-16.

''If we signed no-one else, I would expect us to finish around 10th - 14th. Depending on our Europa cup run.''

This was your prediction. The season we came 3rd.

And you wonder why you get such hostility from myself and others? We have had to put up with your bullshit for half a decade. And it's provably wrong. But you're so fucking arrogant that anyone who tells you this, is Levy over Spurs. When it's you that predicts us coming midtable, calling Stoke our rivals, begging for Saido Berahino.

It was you that said 2nd place was looking like Thursday nights in Europa.

As for your question about the rest...

Your fellow horsenoshers are The Dane The Dane who has given up on every Spurs side in December in existence. Spent the 2017 transfer thread telling us all Ross Barkley was the saviour of Tottenham Hotspur and that Everton will be a danger to us. I see he's melted into a smelly goop again. Art Vandelay Art Vandelay who is your self-proclaimed bodyguard who said he would ''be on me like a rash'' whenever I got in a row with you, then put me on ignore. Some bodyguard. The pum pum. NW1Spur NW1Spur who said ''we are absolutely not a top 4 side'' this season and of course Erik Lamela. Finally Don Giovanni Don Giovanni the gooner. Who being a gooner, shares the other horsenoshers opinions, which is slagging off Spurs.

As for scott scott he's right, he hasn't got it in him to be a horsenosher. He's a Johnnosher. He's your fluffer, making sure you're hard and ready to go when you get to the horse. Those boys above are your roadies, Scott is just your groupie hoping that one day, you'll let him in the gang, but he'll always be the bitch. The fluffer too ugly, racist and meek to be front and centre. But he'll be there ploughing himself as you nosh the horse.

I know you'll all just deflect this post about how long it took, or how dragging up the past is silly. But when you act like you do, you need receipts when you start lying and pretending you are the one with all the answers and digging out others.

You predicted we'd finish ''around 10th - 14th'' the season we came 3rd.

YOU AIN'T GOT THE ANSWERS SWAY!

THE FIVE HORSENOSHERS OF THE APOCALYPSE

5_horsemen_of_the_apocalypse_by_yurichan99-d8ewczv.jpg

giphy.gif

images

too-long-didnt-read-gif-6.gif

Insta-bin me again motherfuckers! I'm just asking for it.

1xrW.gif

Hello all. I'm a long time lurker and decided to put my 1st post here as it seems the most appropriate and frequented place for people to judge whether they can be bothered to read my thoughts about this Club we all love or whether I'm a troll or whether you'd like me to see you next Tuesday

My basic stances that may help make your decision much easier

- I'm in the "camp" of supporters who are blown away by where we are in comparison to how things were 25 odd years ago. I'm 33. I grew up hearing whispers of once legendary players , reputation and stature.

As young as I can remember back we were in my younger years very much a mid table club hoping for decent cup runs. There's nothing particularly wrong in that, we made some greatly received signings like Davids, Klinsman et al giving us hope of once again being amongst the elite. I honestly feel that we contributed to some amazing premier league memories,without having to build an extension to WHL to fill the overstocked trophy cabinet.

- With the above in mind I may frustrate some in being very calm about our current transfer window.
I won't tread over the last few seasons in any real depth to try keep this message as short as possible. I would put my self in the "camp" that is delighted with our transfer strategy and philosophy with regards to how to progress as a club.

I do appreciate the frustration that comes with our model. For me, Daniel Levy has shown that he's concerned with the long game , for use of a better term, than to rely on a model that solely relies on investment based on no guaranteed results. Nothing I can say can better example this than the envy inducing new stadium and football schooling and training infrastructure we have at our disposal.

All this makes me feel content. Again, I do appreciate frustrations. Every morning I come on here hoping to read of an announcement or at the least a concrete link.

- It's only my opinion but until pre season starts without any players in the squad that we end up purchasing after it starts and who were NOT at the World Cup will likely contribute to frustration for Poch and arguably not as productive as alstart to the season as a scenario where they're all their and working hard from day one.
It's also frustrating to see that other clubs have either concluded some business or are at least close on finialising deals.
For what it's worth I don't envy Levy or Poch at the moment. I look at the team and see it as a very difficult situation to handle.
We're enticing enough with the players here and the above investment in everything Tottenham that we could feasibly substitute an established policy of spreading the transfer kitty on youngsters with a highly regarded likelihood of making it or diamonds in the rough and look towards now making major statements in the transfer marketI feel the answer lies somewhere in between and I think this is the strategy we'll now see as evidenced by our large outlay in Davinson Sánchez last year.

A final note on this point. I feel that a lot of people may not appreciate or take into account our current position when they too freely berate the owners and philosophy that got us here. We can, rightfully, attract some players who's stature in the game would perceivably elevate us another level. However, there are so many many factors that have to go our way. We love the club but not everyone holds such passion for it. If you're Kovacic, for example, with all likelihood while you'd be happy to join Tottenham given where we are their is the possibility that a club with a perceivable larger stature atm who can easily offer more than our seemingly incentive based wages, all round signing fees and commercial exposure means that we can't necessarily just identify a target and significantly hedge our time and eggs into them.

For many factors beyond both Poch and Levy's control we sometimes have to wait until other clubs have completed or made firm inroads with their transfer business

- To summarise and bring this back round to transfers. I can see why we are linked with certain players and why we (likely) may not yet have done any business

* Jack Grealish - meets homegrown requirements and has some relatively high positives from our perspective. He's still young and developing despite having a lot of experience as a first team starter in both the premiership and the championship. He's versatile, something I feel is integral to how Pochettino wants players to be. Like many players that havetrodden a similar path he's gone from someone further upfield anywhere behind the 3 due to his indisputable ability to beat players to somewhat of a central A.M. to now being an adaptable midfielder. With all his experience and natural bulking up, understanding of the game etc it's actually encouraging imo that he's moved into central midfield and is using his dribbling traits alongside a seemingly consistent ability to be creative with his passing and channeling his anger / competitiveness / perceived childishness into a hunger to take charge. For anything under £25m I'd consider it an investment that has high reward / low risk written all over it. He can't come here and demand high wages and in today's game it's pretty sad to say £25m is not a huge sum for either a single transfer or towards or potential to spend

* Martial / various wing/forwards

Short and sweet for this. I see this as the main way forward in regards to how we try and keep a well rounded squad capable of losing Kane without needing a "like for like" striker to remain in our style of play. Kane's one of a kind.
Not saying Martial necessarily, but these versatile type of forwards would be extremely more valuable to us than Llorente or Vincent. Some hindsight there tbf as I liked the idea of llorente at the time for various reasons
* Central midfield - for me this is tricky and relies on a lot of things including any changes in shape or formation Poch may think of. For me here and central defender is where we need the most investment again be that by a "marquee" signing like Kovacic or dare I say it, Savic, or a few gambles like Wilmer Barrios and other relatively unknowns.
*Central Defender - de Ligt is probably a prime example of why it's so difficult for us to do business. If we take general opinion at face value this lad is the player I've seen us mostly linked with and certainly has abilities that are clear now with the scope for further improvement. Great. But as we can see there are "bigger" clubs with the same view. For us to win this race we'd have to hope that like Sánchez and Eriksen before him he sees that we are an established route to guarantee you a shot in the highest club competitions regardless of age and that we are as close as you can come to guaranteeing you improve as a footballer as a bigger pull than the immediate glitz that comes from "bigger" clubs.

- I wanted to add that , pre Southgates England , I did wander whether we may see this style of shape or formation next year

GK
CD CD CD
RWB LWB
CM CM CM
FWD FWD

I feel this could solve some of the problems with the lack of pace from our current fullbacks when Rose and Aurier aren't on song. I really love Davies and Trippier and while the days of Rose and Walker at full back causing teams nightmares with their pace was great we have so much intelligence throughout the squad and players that can play intricate passes that it would maximise our strengths while turning a perceived weakness to a threat.
In this shape I'd use Christian, Dele and one of our more defense minded players ie Dier or Wanyama for the 3 cm or Winks against teams that sit back.
CE and DA can both play box to box and would give both opposition holding midfielder/s and defenders something to watch as well as the two up top.

With our current squad I'd start Kane and Son and it would still be crucial that the player paired with Kane can play as a wide forward as well so at the minimum one of VJ or FL have to go to be replaced with a Martial type.

This would give us the ability to switch to a 4-2-3-1 seemlessly in and out of possession but, more importantly, means that we can leave Kane to do his usual devestating roaming while also giving the opposition the nightmare of a second forward hugging the touchlines and stretching them.

What do you do? Follow Kane for him to leave space for our proven goal scoring 2 box to box midfielders ? Let him win a knock down to a pact player cutting inside ? Sit deep and we have strength in the box , runners and wingbacks that haven't had to rely on their ability to beat a man to create space for their impressive ability to create.

Anyway that's my 1st post done and dusted. Thanks to anyone that made it all the way and my sincere apologies for the length to those that have made it and those that got bored part way through.

Looking forward to making some enemies and spending my embarrassingly amount of free time trading one offs with them all

COUS
Blatant "I have a keyboard" post

Back
Top Bottom