Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mean this with maximum respect, but every time I see him, I can't shake the feeling that he'd make first casting call as the demolition man for a heist movie.

Toby would be the muscle.

Hugo, the brains. :llorishowudoin:

Sissoko the Panto villain

I didnt actually think his delivery was all that bad yesterday. Considering the amount he was hitting first time. We weren't getting a huge amount of runners into the box.

Looking at how narrow Chelsea have been playing and how pathetic Arsenals attempt at a high line was yesterday then Trips could be a very useful player for us this year

I’m amazed at how much Tripps has improved since he joined us

Brilliant coaching by Poch

:pochsmirk:

I’m amazed at how much Tripps has improved since he joined us

Brilliant coaching by Poch

:pochsmirk:

I think full back development is one of the things he is excellent at.

You have to credit the players too, but he pushed Rose and Walker to be better (although Rose seems to have mentally regressed) and Davies has gone from an average player to a dependable one. Don’t forget Shaw, too. A shadow of the marauding potential he was under Poch.

You have to credit the players too, but he pushed Rose and Walker to be better (although Rose seems to have mentally regressed) and Davies has gone from an average player to a dependable one. Don’t forget Shaw, too. A shadow of the marauding potential he was under Poch.

Would you take Shaw back?

Still looking to carry too much timber for me

Whether a cross goes over everyone and sails over to the far stick or hits first man there is no difference, the cross is/was inaccurate, the result is exactly the same. (the same too from a corner, people would only site the "can't beat first man" bollocks which is the same result as a cross missing everyone and going far side and yes that also includes a cross hit "into the mixer" bullshit which people seem to approve of, despite it being easily claimed by the 'keeper or defended with ease by a 10 vs 4. When a cross doesn't beat the first man it's not because a player can't kick a ball that far, it's because they are aiming for an invisible tiny area at the near post, this invisible slot has to be far enough away from the 'keeper, high enough to beat the jumping defenders but still hit hard enough and low/flat enough for one of our players to get in-front of the oppo, is there any wonder why it's low percentage football??). I will forgive any cross that is inches away from a head or toe of one of our players running onto it, or produce the finger tips of a 'keeper to take it off the head of an attacker and obviously one that finds the head of it's target but they fail to connect well with it, all others are simply incomplete passes or shite. Trippers crossing yesterday was shite, any defence of his crossing yesterday simply isn't credible.

I 100% agree with you on his "key passes", often played around the oppo finding a run from one of our players going from in to out, these are an excellent well rehearsed passage of our play, I could watch those all day, it's much better football to watch and far more effective than just lumping it into the box, be they hit first time or not. If they are defended then we still are in a position to counter-press the defender with both Trips himself or the player he was passing to, and all in a very dangerous area of the pitch too with a panicked defender on the ball, lovely jubbly let's rejoice these, let's see more of these, those are actually better and more effective than a cross.

Don't want to make this a Walker vs Tripps debate mate, nothing personal, it's just I'm so bored of that and I've posted far too many times and my views haven't changed, suffice to say picking up on Walkers "not beating the first man" with his crosses is again utter bullshit when you ignore a) the above about what is being aimed at, this also applies to Tripps too, who regularly fails to beat the first man as was evidence yesterday b) failing to acknowledge that Walkers threat was to commit a defender because he had the ability to take on his opponents in 1vs1's and thus creating space for the likes of *insert attackers man here c) that he would more often than not cut the ball back which was by far his most effective creative part of his game (just as Trippier is with his key passes to a runner moving in to out). It's bullshit to ignore this.

This is where Poch works wonders, up until a month or so Tripps had NEVER taken on and beaten an opponent, so Poch has us adapt and we've found away around that and getting Tripps effective high up the pitch with his key passes. With Walker it was the same with his cut backs once he had beaten his man and had got behind. (I hate crosses be they from Walker, Tripps, Rose or Davies as the result is largely the same, it's nothing to do with each's ability to kick the ball, it's just they are low percentage and very rare that something actually comes from from them. Most of what I am talking about here is a cross from outside of the box, I note this as obviously if we are in the box then a cross is acceptable ball to play, the odds are significantly improved, just to make that clear what I'm against and my definition of a cross that's low percentage).

I wholeheartedly agree that crossing in general is an overrated medium of creation, and just aimlessly putting it "in the mixer" but there is still a big difference between crosses that are hit badly (either whacked aimlessly long or thumped carelessly a the first man) than when a player with good technique consistently delivers the ball either deliberately on or close to targets or - when he doesn't have the chance to look up - into very good areas, than a player who frequently gets into the position to cross and either doesn't get his head up and target or does and delivers badly, Rose is a great example of this, Walker is more an example of the latter, his technique would invariably deteriorate when he was under pressure, and wasn't a case of him not being able to kick it very far or aiming for a tiny invisible spot, it was just a case of hurried technique letting him down. Trippier's crossing isn't full proof, Ive not seen a winger or FB who's is, but in terms of his crossing, his delivery is vastly superior, both in terms of the thought process - ie getting his head up and actually trying to hit targets - and his technique under pressure of delivery moments than Walker's (and Rose's and generally Davies too) and most FB's in this league.

And Walker hardly ever actually beat his man and then produced something of tangible quality. You could probably count the times on one hand when that actually happened in his entire time with us.

Trippier trusts his own technique much more than Walker does in the pressure situations in forward areas. When you add this to his general intelligent game play, and that ability to deliver incisive/key passes there is absolutely no argument that offensively he's a much better footballer than Walker. Not even close. In 15/16 when he emerged in the latter half of the season, he out performed all attacking metrics of Walker (assists, key passes, chances created) in a third f the time on the pitch. Same last season.

There's a definite argument to be had about who is better defensively, but even then I think a l lot of people overlook Trippier's intelligence in playing the high line-offside system, but even if Walker's pace, stamina and physique still make him a better overall "defender" in the type of system we play, I don't believe it supersedes the overall offensive benefits that Trippier brings.

Some of his crossing wasn't brilliant Saturday for sure, but even most of the bad ones didn't just float aimlessly long or into keepers hands, and his incisive passing was the best of any of our players yesterday.

Sorry, you sucked me into a Trippier v Walker. Like you, Ive done this a lot, I'll try to resist next time.

Would you take Shaw back?

Still looking to carry too much timber for me

If the manager wanted Shaw, then I’d trust that he would be able to get the best out of him. There’s a great player in there, and although Mourniho is a prick, I suspect the “micro-management” he through Shaws’ way has an element of truth in it. But full-backs are Poch’s thing.

That said, my preference is that Rose gets his head back and knuckles down.

Poch record with defenders has been mind boggling. The system is key too.

That's 2 in 2 from Trippier, one in each corner. Both absolute beauties.

I don't think the oppos will be keen on giving away freekicks outside their box when he's on the pitch.

You'd have to think that it will get into the defenders heads and make them cautious when making challenges within 30 yards of the goal..... if not i'd be putting it there - "slide in like that again and i'll put the ball in the top corner"

Was the same when Eriksen had a run of scoring direct FK's a few years ago.

MAIN-Kieran-Trippier-playing-for-Burnley-and-Spurs-with-improved-fitness.jpg

He would look 100 times better if he just shaved.

I think he should to grow it out into an afro...

If the manager wanted Shaw, then I’d trust that he would be able to get the best out of him. There’s a great player in there, and although Mourniho is a prick, I suspect the “micro-management” he through Shaws’ way has an element of truth in it. But full-backs are Poch’s thing.

Although Jose's misery-ball must be an alien concept to him, it wouldn't surprise me... Poch magic will wear off if you spend too long away from the great man.... Clyne, Lovren, Fonte, Chambers... Shaw... Walker?

I think he should to grow it out into an afro...

Although Jose's misery-ball must be an alien concept to him, it wouldn't surprise me... Poch magic will wear off if you spend too long away from the great man.... Clyne, Lovren, Fonte, Chambers... Shaw... Walker?

It can’t be a coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom