Defoe substitution

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bit annoyed with Defoe storming down the tunnel. Also annoyed people don't understand how self destructive booing is. It gives Defoe's storming off legitimacy thus undermining the manager. If we create a completely unforgiving environment its only going to make the teams motivation worse and compound any losses, and then what?

AVB gets sacked and we bring in who? Resetting the "transition" cycle and returning to another period of mid table mediocrity.

Defoe was a dick and was having a shit game - 8 passes or something like that, and he didn't even make them all.

But.

He is the type of player that will always have a chance of getting you a goal.

Having said that Rooney was subbed off by Fergie not long ago in the Match against Chelsea. Luckily for him, Hernandez scored. Unfortunately for AVB, nobody did for us.

I really dont understand the fuss about Defoe going off to be honest. Ineffective, changed out for a more complete striker - whats to complain about?

Player gets angry at being subbed shock horror.

Maybe Defoe was pissed off at his own performance. Most people were going nuts when he took Defoe off, but Defoe should be happy. He's a human, not a robot, and sometimes you cant hide anger.

Dont see how that makes him a dick or whatever.

I really dont understand the fuss about Defoe going off to be honest. Ineffective, changed out for a more complete striker - whats to complain about?

Dempsey staying on the pitch when Defoe and Ade scored a fuck load of goals and linked up well together last season?
AVB abandoning that partnership for no apparent reason?
Dempsey showing he isnt up to the job, time and time again already this season?
JD is our top striker?
We needed to score?

Defoe was a dick and was having a shit game - 8 passes or something like that, and he didn't even make them all.

But.

He is the type of player that will always have a chance of getting you a goal.

Having said that Rooney was subbed off by Fergie not long ago in the Match against Chelsea. Luckily for him, Hernandez scored. Unfortunately for AVB, nobody did for us.

I think the number of times he was offside actually out weighed the number of times he touched the ball.

Dempsey staying on the pitch when Defoe and Ade scored a fuck load of goals and linked up well together last season?
AVB abandoning that partnership for no apparent reason?
Dempsey showing he isnt up to the job, time and time again already this season?
JD is our top striker?
We needed to score?

We have a system of play, its not 442.

Having a proper striker on the pitch should have gone on to bring the best out of Dempsey.

Defoe is not a team player, we needed a team performance to turn the result.

JD is not our top striker, Ade is. JD is our top scorer, thanks to getting games due to Ade being injured.

I don't think it can be painted that him and Ade have this fantastic partnership. If they did I didn't see it.
Defoe was by no means our first choice striker last season. 10 starts maybe? He wanted to leave as he was being left out the first 11 so much. Even Saha was getting the nod ahead of him for some games.

My understanding of Saturday is they were playing a back 3 starving JD of space and we needed someone up top to hold the ball up as well as keeping some strength and height in midfield. So JD was sacrificed.

Dempsey and Gylfi both scored goals last year, AVB took a gamble and kept the shape of the team. Turned out it was the wrong move. I can understand why he did it though.

JD has to be one of the most frustrating players to watch. 8 out of 10 times he will run at goal and shoot when he has options available. Or permanently wander offside. So yeah he will score goals but when he is having a bad game he has a BAD game.
Playing 4-4-2 would have left Livermore and Gylfi. If AVB started any game with those 2 it would not be by choice.

I think the problem with Defoe is when he plays up top on his own (at home anyway) he is often crowded out and gets frustrated because he cant win the ball for himself and struggles to keep it when under pressure. If the service isn't perfect he drifts out the game and tends to lose his head - not in that he gets himself sent off or anything, just that he seems to get frustrated with the game and goes looking for the ball meaning he's then not in position to poach a goal like he may otherwise have been.

We have a system of play, its not 442.

Having a proper striker on the pitch should have gone on to bring the best out of Dempsey.

Defoe is not a team player, we needed a team performance to turn the result.

JD is not our top striker, Ade is. JD is our top scorer, thanks to getting games due to Ade being injured.

We HAD a system of play when VDV was here. We also had a very efficient back up plan. That was a 442 with Ade and Defoe who actually scored way more goals together than VDV and Ade ever did.

Dempsey is not working. Defoe and Ade is proven to work.

You dont play a formation with shite players because it worked last season with a good one.

I doubt anyone will be surprised by my thoughts on this, but here goes anyway:

Defoe has one goal in his last eight starts, so was already lucky to be starting, especially as he offers so little when he doesn't score.
Adebayor has a superior goals-to-games ratio in English football than him (2.2 vs 2.7) despite Defoe playing many of his games at a lower level so is, statistically, more likely to get a goal (not what I saw some people say on Twitter).
Defoe had touched the ball eleven times in the match. ELEVEN TIMES.
His disinterest in linking play has always been apparent, but rarely more so than on Saturday.

Dempsey was having a poor game, but at least attempted to receive the ball or make himself an option occasionally.

As I mentioned to Thelonious elsewhere, I guess it all comes down to two questions:

1. Do you believe we were creating chances but not finishing them? Answer: leave Defoe on.
2. Do you believe we weren't creating chances (or finishing them)? Answer: absolutely take Defoe off.

I lean very much towards 2, and felt that Defoe impeded our chance creation (as per) with his lack of engagement in approach play.

Leaving Defoe on would have meant one less player to pass to when trying to build play when we were already struggling for options.

AND THEN!!!!
After he was withdrawn (rightly or wrongly), he trudged off as slowly as he possibly could, presumably to make a point against a man who has shown nothing but absolute faith in him thus far, when we were in a major hurry to try to equalise and, to make matters worse, he went straight down the tunnel.

The guy only cares about himself, and the "backing" from the fans was embarrassing/bordering on sickening.

Back
Top Bottom