Defoe substitution

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Defoe had a good game last season against City though....

UMADDD2.gif

Completely agree with WindyCOYS WindyCOYS on Defoe. I often talk about Defoe not having great games even if he has scored and people always say "he scored, what more do you want" completely ignoring the fact that his lack of ability to hold up the ball (and more importantly to win it in the first place) puts us under pressure on its own.
It was exactly the same with Pav, I swear people were just blinded some of his pretty goals.

The fact he's only played 6 games for us? I dunno.

I think there are people out there who prefer Defoe over Ade. Not many but I still hear people moaning about how we have ex gooners playing for us.

Personally I don't think Dempsey is shit at all. It's the fact we've gone from a world class player of VDV to Dempsey is frustrating everyone.

The one player that worries me out of everyone is Dembele, he's so important its unreal.

We've been able to cope with Defoe upfront on his own because we have Dembele and Sandro in the midfield. Take 1 of them away without any cover for them and we're fucked.

No one wants Defoe over Ade

Now thats cleared up, tell me what people are being blinded by in Dempseys game

Don't get me wrong, I don't especially rate Dempsey. But given that our main issue on Saturday (IMO) was the lack of creativity in the middle of midfield, it made sense to leave on Dempsey, who has more of a reputation as someone who can link play (even though he has barely achieved anything of the sort in a Spurs shirt as yet).

I'm writing an article for the Tottenham Journal this week advocating the use of Mason/Falque in this role - doubt that will surprise many of you.

Falque maybe but I just cant see why AVB would put Mason in the team.

Granted I've only seen him play twice but he was awful both times so maybe I have a skewed perception of him, I just cant see why AVB would throw him in against anyone at the top level considering the only extended first team experience he has had was at League One Yeovil a few years back. Granted he has 15ish games at Doncaster but I gather they were not great?

Personally I think he's a real classy, intelligent player. Elements of Carroll (quite skinny but focus on ball retention) but does it higher up the pitch and has an eye for goal.

Doncaster spells massively disrupted by injury but their fans liked him.

Fair enough, Carroll is another one I'm unsure about to be honest. I know he's young but I just dont see him really making the grade at Spurs unless he gets some serious game time elsewhere soon. May be a harsh way to look at it but players like Wilshire, Walker, Caulker, were all playing regularly at other clubs at his age or younger.
Redknapp once said what hope have you got of getting in the Spurs team if you cant be one of the best players on loan at a club in the lower leagues.
I know people will say players develop at different ages but surely competitive games are what the likes of Carroll and Mason need now rather than sitting on the bench and making the odd Europa/League cup appearance.

Don't get me wrong, I don't especially rate Dempsey. But given that our main issue on Saturday (IMO) was the lack of creativity in the middle of midfield, it made sense to leave on Dempsey, who has more of a reputation as someone who can link play (even though he has barely achieved anything of the sort in a Spurs shirt as yet).

I'm writing an article for the Tottenham Journal this week advocating the use of Mason/Falque in this role - doubt that will surprise many of you.

Id would absolutely start Falque ahead of dempsey, behind Ade. But not in the next game away to City.

I get the midfield problem, I really do. We just have a worse option there than we do up front, thats all.

I really think Ade-Dempsey could work for us if AVB was willing to give them a few games together. Dempsey thrives off of being able to make late arrivals into the box, which Ade's holdup play would almost certainly permit. Basically it all comes back to the idea that using Defoe as a lone striker in formations like the one we play puts other players off their normal game and makes them look like crap when using a traditional striker would help things gel better.

No one wants Defoe over Ade

Now thats cleared up, tell me what people are being blinded by in Dempseys game

I may be going senile but weren't you the one who said you'd be pissed off if Adebayor got in the team in Defoe's place only a few weeks ago?

I really think Ade-Dempsey could work for us if AVB was willing to give them a few games together. Dempsey thrives off of being able to make late arrivals into the box, which Ade's holdup play would almost certainly permit. Basically it all comes back to the idea that using Defoe as a lone striker in formations like the one we play puts other players off their normal game and makes them look like crap when using a traditional striker would help things gel better.

And the same goes for Sigurdsson.

However, it's going to take a while for Adebayor to find his rhythm so in the short term I do feel that we need to select a number 10 who can create.

And the same goes for Sigurdsson.

However, it's going to take a while for Adebayor to find his rhythm so in the short term I do feel that we need to select a number 10 who can create.

True, and Falque is by far the closest to being that at this stage, much as I rate Mason. There's a great deal about his game that reminds me of Rafa, even more so than Siggy in a lot of ways.

I may be going senile but weren't you the one who said you'd be pissed off if Adebayor got in the team in Defoe's place only a few weeks ago?

That would be Siggy mate
(in reference to dropping Defoe to see if Siggy can actually do..............something)

I want us to play 442, until we can field a midfield of:

Lennon.........Sandro..............Parker.............Bale

............................Dembele

With Hudd and Parker rotating for variation. That would be nice up to Christmas and hopefully get in Mouthino.

Ive changed my mind on that one. We need a playmaker of that kind.

For me, Sigg and Dempsey should be used off the bench, and nothing more at this stage.

My anger would not be at Ade taking Defoe's place, but Siggy taking Defoe's place. I think that was pretty clear at the time.

I think Defoe really is suffering from NOT having Modric/VDV and now Dembele to assist him from midfield... and he needs all the assistance he can get.

He's always been a poacher (and that's about all), but to do that and play to his strength, he needs an intelligent striker alongside him, or an equally intelligent attacking midfielder just behind to hold the ball up, make clever runs that confuse stoopid defenders, or provide the wayward Hollywood shots that he can snaffle up with his 'poachers predatory' instinct.
At the moment, he doesn't have anyone at all like that to provide him with those sorts of chances.

What seems to be getting to most people (and mentioned here) is that we really haven't managed to replace VDV... Even if you had Dempsey+Siggy strapped to each other (NO!) and registering as one player, they STILL wouldn't provide the class VDV did... injuries aside, VDV was a big game player, with a big club mentality...
Siggy & Dempsey are your classic big-fish/small-pond mid-table players, completely out of their depth when having to make the step up... and now you got me all off track... this was supposed to be about Defoe's substitution FFS!!

I guess the plan is to keep Ade fresh and then bring him in a couple of weeks before he goes off to the ACN leaving us with a pissed off Defoe.

Genius.

I think Defoe really is suffering from NOT having Modric/VDV and now Dembele to assist him from midfield... and he needs all the assistance he can get.

He's always been a poacher (and that's about all), but to do that and play to his strength, he needs an intelligent striker alongside him, or an equally intelligent attacking midfielder just behind to hold the ball up, make clever runs that confuse stoopid defenders, or provide the wayward Hollywood shots that he can snaffle up with his 'poachers predatory' instinct.
At the moment, he doesn't have anyone at all like that to provide him with those sorts of chances.

What seems to be getting to most people (and mentioned here) is that we really haven't managed to replace VDV... Even if you had Dempsey+Siggy strapped to each other (NO!) and registering as one player, they STILL wouldn't provide the class VDV did... injuries aside, VDV was a big game player, with a big club mentality...
Siggy & Dempsey are your classic big-fish/small-pond mid-table players, completely out of their depth when having to make the step up... and now you got me all off track... this was supposed to be about Defoe's substitution FFS!!

I don't think Defoe has looked any worse than he has most other seasons. Its just compounded by the fact we're now playing him every game as opposed to limiting his chances, so see more of him.

He didn't form a prolific understanding with either Modric or VDV and on his own went as anonymous as he does now. Only works as a second striker, a luxury striker who won't build chances, just smack ones that appear. The whole poacher thing is a fallacy, very rarely will he be on the shoulder of the last defender, generally too late in the box. If anything Dempsey has shown more sign of being a competent "poacher"

Back
Top Bottom