Unstoppable force (Watford) vs Immovable object (Spurs) Sunday 2 September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I anything this is my biggest disappointment about today. We seemed to know the 'recipe' of what it took to get a result there in recent years. The need to tough it out should have come as no suprise to any of the players which is why I struggle with the idea that we took them lightly.

Bizzare state of affairs, but yes, such sentiment apparently does need to be reinforced at times.

The players know.

It is just about being collectively able.

We are not quite there for whatever reason.

Not being able only ever changes when we prove we are able.

Something about our club mentality made today if not inevitable but certainly more than possible.

It should hurt any true Spurs fan because it is such a hurdle and we just can't seem to get over it.

I'm not even sure that is about buying players.
It is about players on the bench. when losing and have to bring on Llorenete, Rose and Wink says it all. So YES it could be about buying players.

Not being able only ever changes when we prove we are able.

Something about our club mentality made today if not inevitable but certainly more than possible.

It should hurt any true Spurs fan because it is such a hurdle and we just can't seem to get over it.

I'm not even sure that is about buying players.

...Able to what?

...What is this mystical hurdle you insist exists?

....Da fuck is with the Yoda shit all the time man?

Well that was disappointing.

First of all, well done to Watford. They simply wanted it more, and really we got what we deserved.

I didn’t think we were that bad in the first half. Pretty predictable for most of it, but we had them pegged back and I was confident that it was only a matter of time before we went in front. However, once we got the OG it all went downhill. Piss poor defending, and no fight to get back in the game. From Pochettino down, we just didn’t look very interested.

As for the reactions on here, I’m certainly not going to judge anyone for getting angry. I find the white knights of eternal happiness more annoying than those responding emotionally to what is an emotional sport. It was pretty much inevitable that the frustrations from the transfer window would come to the surface at the first poor result.

Nicely summed up. In control first-half, looked comfy without any real threat but thought we'd find an opening and finish them off. But after the goal we lost our way completely. In fact, as bizarre as it sounds, that goal didn't do us any favours. Dreadful defending indeed. Too many sub-par performers out there Kane, Erikssen, Dembele, etc. Just so fucking annoying on the back of the last game.

Like your bit about the 'white knights'. Irk me too. Let people vent for a bit before jumping on them with the 'onto the next game', 'it's only one loss', 'I can't believe the melts on here', etc, bollocks.

Nicely summed up. In control first-half, looked comfy without any real threat but thought we'd find an opening and finish them off. But after the goal we lost our way completely. In fact, as bizarre as it sounds, that goal didn't do us any favours. Dreadful defending indeed. Too many sub-par performers out there Kane, Erikssen, Dembele, etc. Just so fucking annoying on the back of the last game.

Like your bit about the 'white knights'. Irk me too. Let people vent for a bit before jumping on them with the 'onto the next game', 'it's only one loss', 'I can't believe the melts on here', etc, bollocks.

Yeah the white knights grate. It’s clearly not the end of the world, and we have a great team with lots to be proud of, but it’s natural to complain when things don’t go well. I wouldn’t boo a player at a game, but a few rants online aren’t going to damage the team, and, like you said, it’s an opportunity to vent.

One thing that does worry me is that we’ve not really played well in any of our four games. We have enough gifted players to get us over the line when in second gear, but Eriksen and Kane have looked off. I think it’s very likely to be a hangover from the World Cup, but for whatever reason we haven’t clicked yet.

Yeah the white knights grate. It’s clearly not the end of the world, and we have a great team with lots to be proud of, but it’s natural to complain when things don’t go well. I wouldn’t boo a player at a game, but a few rants online aren’t going to damage the team, and, like you said, it’s an opportunity to vent.

One thing that does worry me is that we’ve not really played well in any of our four games. We have enough gifted players to get us over the line when in second gear, but Eriksen and Kane have looked off. I think it’s very likely to be a hangover from the World Cup, but for whatever reason we haven’t clicked yet.

You could say the same for LIverpool & City.... Par for the course, early doors.... Picking up points whilst you're toiling is key to the proverbial "good" start.

9 point in 4 games
38 / 4 games = 9.5
x 9 points = 85.5 points over the whole season.

Onwards and upwards. :pochsmirk:

You could say the same for LIverpool & City.... Par for the course, early doors.... Picking up points whilst you're toiling is key to the proverbial "good" start.

9 point in 4 games
38 / 4 games = 9.5
x 9 points = 85.5 points over the whole season.

Onwards and upwards. :pochsmirk:

That would pretty much match out best ever season under Pochettino in the 16/17 season.

We've been patchy. Great against Fulham in the first half, latter stages; 2nd half v Man U. Definitely not clicked and formation certainly isn't settled. I've calmed down a bit now and know that, in perspective, 9 points with 3 away is a great return, but it was such an opportunity missed today. The result is one thing and can never be guaranteed, but the performance after the goal was so weak and lacklustre, not to mention the inept defending. 3 top CB's out there and we gifted them cheap goals.

Eriksen? ....No-one. It's early doors. He'll come good... He's fucking class!
(Hypothetical answer: Winks, Lucas, Son - subject to formation.)

So he's been class in the first four games? Lucas plays anyway, Son is in SE Asia. So you'd play Winks, who's been out for months, as an Eriksen replacement?

Attacking any poster because they disagree with you is the behaviour of the playground. My central point is that we needed reinforcements and didn't get them, so there is little competition for places.

The waffle you're weaving about Liverpool's options betrays any sense of serious concern one is like to muster.

No idea what you're talking about and I have no interest in Liverpool. Only using it as an example. Competition there is greater than here. If you have a few sub-par games there, the likelihood is that you'll get dropped. Only Salah is a certain starter. Would you care to point out any waffle?

Last edited:
There's something off with Kane.

What made him world-class was a brilliant goal return coupled with a bulldozing all round game.

His goal return since the injury at Bournemouth is still very good but he's not influencing games enough. Today that failed pass to lay Lucas in for 2-0 summed it up - it was rather lame and I think he is playing well below his full capacity.

What made him world-class was a brilliant goal return coupled with a bulldozing all round game.

His goal return since the injury at Bournemouth is still very good but he's not influencing games enough. Today that failed pass to lay Lucas in for 2-0 summed it up - it was rather lame and I think he is playing well below his full capacity.
YES! Haven't been able to bring myself to re-watch it yet, but that failed pass could've killed the game. Yeah, he just lacks that sharpness and seems to dither and hesitate. Can't really account for it....

We've been patchy. Great against Fulham in the first half, latter stages; 2nd half v Man U. Definitely not clicked and formation certainly isn't settled. I've calmed down a bit now and know that, in perspective, 9 points with 3 away is a great return, but it was such an opportunity missed today. The result is one thing and can never be guaranteed, but the performance after the goal was so weak and lacklustre, not to mention the inept defending. 3 top CB's out there and we gifted them cheap goals.

Going off at a bit of a tangent here, but it could be argued that our lack of signings are actually damaging the squad’s general sharpness.

I’ve always been an advocate of keeping a group of players together and allowing the to grow. That’s why I didn’t really care about the lack of signings. It occurs to me that there’s another aspect of bringing in new players that I hadn’t considered...

Day in, day out, our squad is training with the same players over and over again. That means practicing things like corners against the same players over and over. New blood mixes things up and forces players to adapt to new approaches, and to keep fresh. Obviously every week we’re up against completely different players, but on a daily basis I think new blood can help keep players that little more sharp.

So he's been class in the first four games?

Nope. Didn't say that. I said I wouldn't drop him.

Moura plays anyway, Son is in SE Asia. So you'd play Winks as an Eriksen replacement?

Like I already said, depending on formation, yes Winks.... Lamela too... Son will be back after the international break (or thereabouts)... What are you struggling to understand here?

Attacking any poster because they disagree with you is the behaviour of the playground.

Don't be so precious, I challenged your posts; I'm not idly throwing about insults or being 'mean'.

My central point is that we needed reinforcements and didn't get them, so there is little competition for places.

I know... And I'm challenging your point cos a) I disagree and b) I feel it's mere opportunism on your part.

No idea what you're talking about and I have no interest in Liverpool. Only using it as an example. Competition there is greater than here. If you have a few sub-par games there, the likelihood is that you'll get dropped. Only Salah is a certain starter. Would you care to point out any waffle!

You don't? ..Luckily, I'm happy to explain:

....You were making out Lallana & Ox represent some kind of enviable depth compared to Lamela/Son or Lamela/Lucas. That's bogus and makes a mockery of the point you're attempting to reinforce.

Added 'waffle-points' for the fact that Lallana, Ox & Keita wouldn't replace Mane or Firminho in their front 3 anyway.

Maybe, like Eriksen , he's disillusioned with our embarrising lack of ambition in the summer transfer window. Maybe, maybe not.
I'm just putting it out there.

Runs for cover

Back
Top Bottom