Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Impossible to pick 10, since every member of the 1901 Cup winning side (only non-league team to win the FA Cup), the 1951 League winning side and the Double side deserve to be called legends. Outside of these - Greaves and Perryman should certainly be added. And I haven't even started listing more recent deserving players.
However, I do think that anyone who left us at the height of their usefulness (Sheringham, Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Klinsmann, Keane) doesn't deserve the title of Legend. Just my opinion, but I do have strong feelings on this subject.

How many of these players have you actually seen play? You’re becoming very fucking boring Richie boy. And yep. My “fighting dug” is fine and still friendly. And I’ve not had her beaten or abused as was the way in your family.

To be fair, I made a point of saying that they don’t need to be players you’ve seen play.

I never saw Greaves or Hoddle play, but I know enough to be sure that they are club legends.

From what I’ve seen of both (on video, obviously), I’m confident that they would both still be absolutely incredible in the modern era. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player come close to Greaves’ ability to ghost into positions and finish so cleanly.

Impossible to pick 10, since every member of the 1901 Cup winning side (only non-league team to win the FA Cup), the 1951 League winning side and the Double side deserve to be called legends. Outside of these - Greaves and Perryman should certainly be added. And I haven't even started listing more recent deserving players.
However, I do think that anyone who left us at the height of their usefulness (Sheringham, Berbatov, Bale, Modric, Klinsmann, Keane) doesn't deserve the title of Legend. Just my opinion, but I do have strong feelings on this subject.

I know what you mean, but technically Bale was with us longer than Gazza, Lineker, and Waddle.

I just think it’s an interesting discussion point. I loved Keane, but him moving to Liverpool removed any hope of legendary status as far as I’m concerned, even if he did come crawling back.

Modric was the one selection of mine that I had a problem with. He was an incredible player, but his Chelsea quotes showed his true character. I don’t think he ever considered us more than a stepping stone, but he was still an incredible player for us.

thanks for that, cheered me up no end. He didn't score loads but the two against Milan and the one against Woolwich were brilliant. Love the "Harvey Smiths" after the latter.
You’re a legend Mrs P and should be included in any list thereof. Fancy a drink sometime?

Edit: Forgot about the spammer. :pochfacepalm:

I know what you mean, but technically Bale was with us longer than Gazza, Lineker, and Waddle.

I just think it’s an interesting discussion point. I loved Keane, but him moving to Liverpool removed any hope of legendary status as far as I’m concerned, even if he did come crawling back.

Modric was the one selection of mine that I had a problem with. He was an incredible player, but his Chelsea quotes showed his true character. I don’t think he ever considered us more than a stepping stone, but he was still an incredible player for us.
Exactly, being an incredible player is one thing, being a Club Legend is another.
I know the game has changed significantly and one-club players are a rarity in these mercenary days, that's why I would challenge a lot of the more recent names. IMO, I would include Hoddle, Daveed, Ledley and Mabbsey from the modern era.

Bale was absolutely devastating for a season and a bit, but he’s not quite a club legend.

No way Modric. Probably the best CM I’ve seen here myself but he openly disparaged us and blatantly thought of the club as a stepping stone.

Only players I have actually seen played

1. King
2. Keane
3. Defoe
4. Lennon
5. Lloris
6. Vertonghen
7. Dembele
8. Eriksen
9. Kane
10. Walker

Special mention - Aldeweireld, Rose, Berbatov, Jenas, Bale, Modric, BAE, Dawson, VDV.

Last edited:
Bale was absolutely devastating for a season and a bit, but he’s not quite a club legend.

No way Modric. Probably the best CM I’ve seen here myself but he openly disparaged us and blatantly thought of the club as a stepping stone.
Agree, Luka is the best player to play for Tottenham in my life time but he hasn't done enough to be considered club legend. Same goes for the likes of Bale and Berbatov.

Gilzean was not called the King of White Hart Lane for nothing and was a legend. Restricting the number to 10 makes it difficult but rightly Greaves and Hoddle were the 2 outstanding players in the last 60 years.

Mrs P has it right . Legends are different from the best players to pull on a Spurs shirt. Bale was devastatingly brilliant , on his own could win a game ,arguably the best player l have seen but never a legend and don't have to be players only.

1. Bill Nick
2. Arthur Rowe
3. Danny Blanchflower
3. Glen Hoddle
4. Greaves
5. Dave MacKay.
6. Steve Perryman
7. Pat Jennings
8. Keith Burkinshaw
9. Gazza
10. Kane ( if he stays longer and the club win silver he could be higher)

Cult hero , Alfie Conn
All time dickhead traitor, Campbell.
Most talented but never a legend , Bale .
Moody cunt award, Berbatov .
Likeable manager EL TEL
Best chairman , Wale and Bearman.
Worst owners ? Sugar
Best supporter, Morris Keston
Best famous fan , Warren Mitchell .
Coolest fan , lan Dury , Jude Law
Cleverest fan , Peter Cook
Clever dick fan , Joe Flash (wolfie)
Intellectual fan , Trevor MacDonald , Barns Wallis or Frank Whittle .

Last edited:
1.Archiebald
2. Gilzean
3.MacKay
4.White
5.Gough
6.Brown
ok I'm struggling now
7.Durie
8.Sullivan
9.Calderwood
& 10. Hutton
See where I've went with this.....;) we some of these guys Tottenham Hotspur wouldn't have had the history they had! On a series note it's sad the last Scot was Alan Hutton kinda sums up how much the Scottish game has sunk:unsure: though I believe we have a scots lad in our U18s?

Mrs P has it right . Legends are different from the best players to pull on a Spurs shirt. Bale was devastatingly brilliant , on his own could win a game ,arguably the best player l have seen but never a legend and don't have to be players only.

1. Bill Nick
2. Arthur Rowe
3. Danny Blanchflower
3. Glen Hoddle
4. Greaves
5. Dave MacKay.
6. Steve Perryman
7. Pat Jennings
8. Keith Burkinshaw
9. Gazza
10. Kane ( if he stays longer and the club win silver he could be higher)

Cult hero , Alfie Conn
All time dickhead traitor, Campbell.
Most talented but never a legend , Bale .
Moody cunt award, Berbatov .
Likeable manager EL TEL
Best chairman , Wale and Bearman.
Worst owners ? Sugar
Best supporter, Morris Keston
Best famous fan , Warren Mitchell .
Coolest fan , lan Dury , Jude Law
Cleverest fan , Peter Cook
Clever dick fan , Joe Flash (wolfie)
Intellectual fan , Trevor MacDonald , Barns Wallis or Frank Whittle .

Worst owner? The Scholar regime nearly ended us a club.

As others have written big difference between great players and legends. A great player was Klinsman who could not wait to clear off after one season and then went full on sentimental about what the club meant to him, absolute mercenary, great player but no time for the bloke.

Legends for me

Blanchflower
Mackay
Greaves
Mabbutt
Perryman
Chivers
Gilzean
King
Hoddle

But the list is endless, ardiles, Anderton, Les and Clive Allen, john white, villa, brown, miller, Roberts, mullery, peters......

Worst owner? The Scholar regime nearly ended us a club.

As others have written big difference between great players and legends. A great player was Klinsman who could not wait to clear off after one season and then went full on sentimental about what the club meant to him, absolute mercenary, great player but no time for the bloke.

Legends for me

Blanchflower
Mackay
Greaves
Mabbutt
Perryman
Chivers
Gilzean
King
Hoddle

But the list is endless, ardiles, Anderton, Les and Clive Allen, john white, villa, brown, miller, Roberts, mullery, peters......

Agree all the way and would add Waddle

No way is Modric a legend, not for me. Take away what he has become, one of the best players in the world, since leaving us, and look only at his time with us and although he was excellent, he didn't do nearly enough to be considered a legend even before you add his attitude toward us. Add that in and he doesn't even come close.

Back
Top Bottom