"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Isn't this a bit of a strawman?

Spurs bottling it against a Leicester team that never, ever broke even as Spurs heaped pressure on them from behind is not a claim I have heard very often.

However we did undeniably bottle our lead over Woolwich at the death that season. And if you've read Poch's book, the whole club knew it and took it to heart and that failure has been a catalyst for the continued growth that has come since.

Isn't this a bit of a strawman?

Spurs bottling it against a Leicester team that never, ever broke even as Spurs heaped pressure on them from behind is not a claim I have heard very often.

However we did undeniably bottle our lead over Woolwich at the death that season. And if you've read Poch's book, the whole club knew it and took it to heart and that failure has been a catalyst for the continued growth that has come since.

Our big chance was away at West Ham. If we had won that game, we'd have gone top on goal difference. The Woolwich home game, whilst was disappointing would only have seen us top as we played before Leicester (who won anyway and went 5 points clear in the process) - but I can't help but feel coming off the back of a win away at West Ham (last time at Upton Park) and then beating Woolwich in the NLD would have seen us push on to make it a closer race.

We drew far too many games that season and it cost us. There was a period over Christmas where Leicester lost to Liverpool, drew with City, Bournemouth and Villa and only won ONE game in FIVE from 26th December through to the 16th January.

Can you guess who that one win was against? Spurs at White Hart Lane.

That pretty much summed us up. We were a very young exciting team but we just weren't QUITE there.

Last edited:
Our big chance was away at West Ham. If we had won that game, we'd have gone top on goal difference. The Woolwich home game, whilst was disappointing would only have seen us top as we played before Leicester (who won anyway and went 5 points clear in the process)

We drew far too many games that season and it cost us. There was a period over Christmas where Leicester lost to Liverpool, drew with City, Bournemouth and Villa and only won ONE game in FIVE from 26th December through to the 16th January.

Can you guess who that one win was against? Spurs at White Hart Lane.

That pretty much summed us up. We were a very young exciting team but we just weren't QUITE there.

We bitch at other teams doing them a favour, but at the end of the day we took 1 point from 2 games head-2-head. Win both those:

Leicester 81 - 4 = 77
Spurs 70 + 5 = 75

I think we'd have got over the line with another win during the final 2 games if the title was genuinely at stake.

Any other scenario is too many 'if's and buts' for me.

Interesting season that, in that we were NEVER in a position to lose the lead, yet we bottled it. Hd we heated Woolwich we’d have gone top in goal difference however we drew, and Leicester then extended their lead to five points.

Also interesting is Woolwich were top too, joint, yet Sky’s narrative that Liverpool are (twice) the only team in the last ten years to have led and not converted. Woolwich should be there too.
I want to semi-disagree with this in that we had the opportunity to properly go top if we'd beaten West Ham away following a game in which Leicester fucked up against West Brom (I believe).

You're right though in that it was so continuously Leicester holding on rather than Spurs fucking up that there's no shame in missing out. That final day disaster against Newcastle was where the 'banter' loves to shit on us - although it helping Wenger to a final 2 year contract actually worked out nicely.

We bitch at other teams doing them a favour, but at the end of the day we took 1 point from 2 games head-2-head. Win both those:

Leicester 81 - 4 = 77
Spurs 70 + 5 = 75

I think we'd have got over the line with another win during the final 2 games if the title was genuinely at stake.

Any other scenario is too many 'if's and buts' for me.

Starting slow that season really didn't help.

Loss at Old Trafford.
Throw away a 2-0 lead at home to Stoke and draw 2-2.
Take lead in 81st minute away at Leicester. Draw 1-1.

I can't help but feel that 'Spursy' ended that season though. Because ever since the disappointments of that season, we've gone from strength to strength.

We won TEN home games that season in the league. How poor is that? Especially when you consider we lost to Leicester, Newcastle and Southampton at home and drew with the likes of Stoke (after going 2-0 up) and West Brom.

Whereas now, I'd expect us to beat every team we go up against, especially at home anyway. And we're not even at 'home' yet.

Klopp agrees

"For me, they [Tottenham] were never out so why should people be surprised they are now in?

"A lot of teams are in whatever you call the title race, and that is how it should be

Got a run of games we should be very confident about but not complacent.

We just have to focus on ourselves. Keep up the pace. Poch said the other week he was happy after the Chelsea win no player came out and talked about the title because after the Man Utd win several did and we followed that up with a loss at Watford.

We had our humbling at Watford. Now we just focus on ourselves - the league table will take care of itself.

We're in the race but still dark horse candidates.
We need to keep winning games and at least keep pace with City and Pool until we see them head to head again, and then, we need to win.
It's going to be tough, but we can absolutely do it.
This team is fantastic and has every reason to believe they can do it.

Just imagine for a moment if Man City crash and slip away and it comes down to us chasing Liverpool in a 2 horse race, I wonder where the sympathies will lie? When Leicester won nobody wanted us to beat them. There must be a load of players amongst other teams who support Liverpool but I'd imagine there must be just as many who absolutely hate them for the same reasons as everyone else does

Just imagine for a moment if Man City crash and slip away and it comes down to us chasing Liverpool in a 2 horse race, I wonder where the sympathies will lie? When Leicester won nobody wanted us to beat them. There must be a load of players amongst other teams who support Liverpool but I'd imagine there must be just as many who absolutely hate them for the same reasons as everyone else does
I'm not so sure. I'm in my mid 20s and grew up with nobody supporting Liverpool. Expect it's the same everywhere outside Merseyside, they'd already lost the glory hunters to United by the time most current PL players were growing up and in school.

Just a friendly reminder that Tottenham have not been top of the league at any point since August 2014, in which we were top of the league after two games.

Despite getting champions league football and being named serious title contenders in three seasons since then, we have never been top of the league at any point. The closest we came was West Ham away in 2016, where a win would have put us top, but hey ho.

Heres hoping we go top after our 1-0 win at Anfield next month.

just to point out we uh, probably need to start working on our GD. The everton game was a good start, but all those tight wins early in the season have left us with a GD far behind both pool and city.

We're about 20 behind or something crazy. Essentially means we are 7 and 3 points behind pool and city respectively, rather than 6 and 2

Back
Top Bottom