January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m not getting how all of the sudden these injuries suddenly means that we will now definitely need to buy someone. Even IF we were able to get someone who is a meaningful addition to the club, and IF Levy will pony up the money, Poch is not one to quickly give a new addition time right away. By the time they get here, get acclimated, spend a little time learning about the club, and our systems, a bunch of players may be back.

I don’t think these injuries change any transfer plans other than holding off clearing out some dead weight.

In my opinion, Llorente and Janssen need upgrading (not sure how anyone can argue against that but each to their own), so why not do it now?

Dembele has gone, and needs replacing, so that one player can cover the loss of Dele and Sissoko and one striker to replace our two back up strikers.
So three out, two in.

Its hardly wildly panicking and buying players just to cover injuries for a few weeks. They'll still be here next season, hopefully improving us.

As for Poch not playing them. Well maybe he should.

I’m not getting how all of the sudden these injuries suddenly means that we will now definitely need to buy someone. Even IF we were able to get someone who is a meaningful addition to the club, and IF Levy will pony up the money, Poch is not one to quickly give a new addition time right away. By the time they get here, get acclimated, spend a little time learning about the club, and our systems, a bunch of players may be back.

I don’t think these injuries change any transfer plans other than holding off clearing out some dead weight.

Personally not happy with the treatment of Janssen. Unless the boy is an absolute tit, it’s hard to understand why he has been so publicly and visibly ostracised.

Not going on loan doesn’t seem like sufficient justification.

Personally not happy with the treatment of Janssen. Unless the boy is an absolute tit, it’s hard to understand why he has been so publicly and visibly ostracised.

Especially when we forked out 18 million quid for him, makes no sense

giphy.gif

....Oh, right, sorry I'm meant to be "embarrassed".

Same old January question.... "Why would a club that has something to fight for sell anyone decent"...?

Any good CM is going to be out of reach in January. Unless it’s a Rabiot, who’s dicking around with his contract, they’re just not up for sale.

There are more forwards about, simply as they are more likely to be surplus to requirements.

Injuries all coming in games where we are struggling and having to dig in. Like how Poch drives the players, its why we 'overachieve'. However these injuries are the flip side of that. We won't even be able to sell anyone now or we'll be struggling to put out 11.

I don't think "selling" players is exactly the hot topic right now, fella. :harrysmile:

Any good CM is going to be out of reach in January. Unless it’s a Rabiot, who’s dicking around with his contract, they’re just not up for sale.

There are more forwards about, simply as they are more likely to be surplus to requirements.

Why would a decent striker be "surplus to requirements" anywhere?

What worries me is we don't sign anyone, our season collapses and we yet again win nothing... This becomes the final straw for Poch and we lose him. We then lose players and start to regress. Screw the stadium and all the delay bollocks. It's just the construction company rinsing us for every penny they can get. This seems to be the generally accepted reason why we're not buying players. Well, it's got to stop. Maybe the stadium was too soon and it's all too late now anyway.

What worries me is we don't sign anyone, our season collapses and we yet again win nothing... This becomes the final straw for Poch and we lose him. We then lose players and start to regress. Screw the stadium and all the delay bollocks. It's just the construction company rinsing us for every penny they can get. This seems to be the generally accepted reason why we're not buying players. Well, it's got to stop. Maybe the stadium was too soon and it's all too late now anyway.

Levy’s false economy.
That’s exactly what will happens if we don’t strengthen. And the value that we offer as a club, will decrease.
Hate the cunt

I simply hope IF we bring someone in that they were already targets (i.e. potential purchase being brought forward); rather than some 'injury fix' like you describe.... Only gonna lead to more dead wood we'll struggle to shift and we'll be back to where we were last summer all over again; no wriggle room in terms of squad-size and lacking HGs.

Younger, and perhaps playing second fiddle to a striker at a big club. Not saying there are loads of them, just probably easier to get than a good CM.

So why come here, of all places, to play 2nd fiddle to the worlds best #9?

(Probably on bigger wages on the so-called big club bench anyway....)

Can't back it up with any facts or data, but re: your point about CMs; I'd would speculate it's be the exact opposite....

So why come here, of all places, to play 2nd fiddle to the worlds best #9?

(Probably on bigger wages on the so-called big club bench anyway....)

Can't back it up with any facts or data, but re: your point about CMs; I'd would speculate it's be the exact opposite....

Yes, that’s a very good point. They’d be screwing themselves even more.

It’s possible I’m talking utter shit. I just get the impression that genuinely good DM/CMs are like hens teeth.

Has there been any sort of explanation for that? It doesn't seem to make any sense at all.... right now we NEED a striker (Llorente is wank), surely he must be worth another try?

Has there been any sort of explanation for that? It doesn't seem to make any sense at all.... right now we NEED a striker (Llorente is wank), surely he must be worth another try?

Just that he refused to follow Poch’s instruction and go on loan. Mix that in with a bit of arrogance and Poch has basically cut him dead.

Seems a touch harsh.

Back
Top Bottom