Chelsea v Tottenham. 2nd leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have to say that we have possibly the weakest squad of the top 6 in this league, you only had to look at our respective benches to see this .

You have to take in to account that we rely heavily on Kane, Dele and Son for attacking guile, only Eriksen has the scope to create chances and he lacks the pace of two of those and the finish of the other. To lose 3 key players plus a host of other squad players is beyond difficult for us.

This is not just about this transfer window or the last one, we have not had the resources to compete with any of the other sides at our level. It is miraculous that we're 3rd and honestly Pochettino has done incredibly well to keep us in the tracks, Fulham showed how less effective we were andand yet still showed the mentality to win, tonight we ran out of players and ran out of steam.

It's fucking horrible to lose to Chelsea, regardless of it being League or Cup, but the fact is that they can put a £50m player from their bench and we couldn't they won because they have better depth at their disposal and that's a legacy of their financial doping. But we are surrounded by teams with more budget than we have, it's not a situation that will be fixed for a long time.

I would love it if we had more effective cover than Llorente, or that we could afford to rest Sissoko for longer before his return or that I could be confident of Wanyama coming back in good form.

Any squad would struggle with the losses we have but they would have better options than we do the reasons are simply because we develop players more than we buy them and that's going to kill us for the next few weeks unfortunately even if we do sign a couple of players

No top team, even with limited resources such as us should be considered a serious contender in any competition when they have a player such as Llorente to work in tandem with Kane.

I understand that Poch only wants to bring in players that will improve the team, but if those players are not available then he needs to set his expectations lower. I fail to believe that he cannot source and the Club cannot afford a better player than that fucking cart horse considering that we are fast becoming a perennial CL side.

It's fucking bullshit.

In aggregate they played better over the two matches, but fuck me it still sucks when we are penalties away from a cup final and are on the wrong end of a semi again.

I think 2-3 players in the summer would have helped with the collective fatigue of playing on 4 fronts, but certainly not to the extent that some are claiming here. Our injuries have been absolutely shocking and just plain unlucky. The World Cup fatigue issue just compounded itself over the first half of the season.

Then it got real dumb. Dier has to have has appendix removed. Kane with another fluke ankle injury. Son off to the Asian Cup, almost gets knocked out early, but then wins in extra time. I’m not going to list the rest because that would take an hour to type out.

Maybe if we had moved into NWHL back in September, but no, apparently some subcontractor can’t install a proper fire safety system. So we’re stuck in Wembley. Still.

Sometimes things just don’t go your way. And then there’s this season. The fact that we are 3rd in the league and closer to 2nd in points than 5th is becoming a miracle on par with qualifying Poch for sainthood.

Let’s hope we can get some luck against Palace.

No top team, even with limited resources such as us should be considered a serious contender in any competition when they have a player such as Llorente to work in tandem with Kane.

I understand that Poch only wants to bring in players that will improve the team, but if those players are not available then he needs to set his expectations lower. I fail to believe that he cannot source and the Club cannot afford a better player than that fucking cart horse considering that we are fast becoming a perennial CL side.

It's fucking bullshit.
You have made your point and it’s a valid one

You have to say that we have possibly the weakest squad of the top 6 in this league, you only had to look at our respective benches to see this .

You have to take in to account that we rely heavily on Kane, Dele and Son for attacking guile, only Eriksen has the scope to create chances and he lacks the pace of two of those and the finish of the other. To lose 3 key players plus a host of other squad players is beyond difficult for us.

This is not just about this transfer window or the last one, we have not had the resources to compete with any of the other sides at our level. It is miraculous that we're 3rd and honestly Pochettino has done incredibly well to keep us in the tracks, Fulham showed how less effective we were andand yet still showed the mentality to win, tonight we ran out of players and ran out of steam.

It's fucking horrible to lose to Chelsea, regardless of it being League or Cup, but the fact is that they can put a £50m player from their bench and we couldn't they won because they have better depth at their disposal and that's a legacy of their financial doping. But we are surrounded by teams with more budget than we have, it's not a situation that will be fixed for a long time.

I would love it if we had more effective cover than Llorente, or that we could afford to rest Sissoko for longer before his return or that I could be confident of Wanyama coming back in good form.

Any squad would struggle with the losses we have but they would have better options than we do the reasons are simply because we develop players more than we buy them and that's going to kill us for the next few weeks unfortunately even if we do sign a couple of players

Was interesting across the two games to see that the marquee players, the match winners for Cheat Ski are the same ones they have had for a few years. Very few of the recent signings they have made appear to be anywhere near good enough. Kante perhaps the only one. There is a warning there as to how quickly you can over pay for average players. I am not sure they have a much better squad than us. But they do have some much better players. Hazzard is their Bale. We sold our Bale. A player like Willian starts for us most weeks, Pedro also. Where as we have some limitations in those spots. For example Lamela. Where we develop players. They buy the best youth and develop them by other means. It’s not like for like.

It's fucking bullshit.
He and Rose were the only reason we got to penalties.

He's been awful but credit where it's due. He scored an incredible header to give us a chance.

Not to mention his goal in a previous round.

Agreed. It’s from the boardroom down. And has been for way too long.

Too often it’s a case of “look where we are with a zero net spend”. And not enough consideration of where we would actually be if we had the right level of investment. If we are aiming for first and finish third. Unlucky. If we are aiming for third and finish 4th, then our owners should not be in sport. My concern is that 4th is considered good enough when actually It’s not.

For the board yes top 4 is more than good enough. They refuse to spend any extra to make a push for something more. Their choice I guess.

Definitely not living up to the club motto

For the board yes top 4 is more than good enough. They refuse to spend any extra to make a push for something more. Their choice I guess.

Definitely not living up to the club motto
Because there is a stadium being built.

Once that money starts rolling in, we'll start spending money. It's that simple.

With the injury list and lack of activities in the transfer market, I feel we are in crises. Plus the new stadium saga on top, can’t wait for the season to be over, content with top 4 finish and again trophy less season. There are better team than us in FA cup, pl and cl.
Next season will be the same unless club spends £100m plus which won’t happen.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a mention yet of Lamela's offside when through on goal.

I thought with VAR the ref was supposed to let the game go on and the refer it to VAR if a goal is scored. As happened in the first leg.

I only saw the 1 brief replay and he looked onside to me.

Once that money starts rolling in, we'll start spending money. It's that simple.
I hope your right. Can’t escape a slight concern that Levy will blame Brexit for yet more austerity come next year. It’s been a long list of reasons why not.

I thought with VAR the ref was supposed to let the game go on and the refer it to VAR if a goal is scored. As happened in the first leg.

I highly doubt whether the VAR was working today anyway. It's a good point you made, but I don't think there was actually a working VAR.

But since Enic came in they have been reluctant to spend more than what is expected. That's ok, they run the club efficiently and that is to be admired. It's just that on those occasions when it looks like we really might be close to doing something special the club refuse to change their sensible business headed stance and back the manager with the players he really wants.

It's just frustrating that's all, to be so close and yet so far.

I hope your right. Can’t escape a slight concern that Levy will blame Brexit for yet more austerity come next year. It’s been a long list of reasons why not.
Brexit is far from certain. But even so, I think if anything will be ''Brexit proof'', it will be elite football clubs.

Our fanbase is such that we'll always go, especially to WHL.

Levy can't sit on that excuse. Hopefully.

But since Enic came in they have been reluctant to spend more than what is expected. That's ok, they run the club efficiently and that is to be admired. It's just that on those occasions when it looks like we really might be close to doing something special the club refuse to change their sensible business headed stance and back the manager with the players he really wants.

It's just frustrating that's all, to be so close and yet so far.
Tbf, we overspent vastly on Sissoko. Spent massive on Sanchez. Lamela too.

As good at times as those players have been (none are our best 5 players) I would be reluctant to spunk massive during this period when every pound counts.

Yep. Looked onside and the ref blew up. Which I think he should not have done under the new rules.

Hopefully Sari will break out the Benson and Hedges and the Laptop tomorrow and back up that we were cheated.

Worse thing today for me was the antics of David Luiz. Acted like he has been shot. Wanker

Agreed.

Not that Lamela would have scored, mind.

Back
Top Bottom