January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

TBH, as cunty as these clubs are, I'd rather cold cash unless we're talking someone genuinely already on our radar....

Taking some big club's cast-offs only serves to sweeten the deal further for them.

I mean, imagine if we'd have taken Ozil 'cos big club player' when we sold Bale.

Look how badly Arse AND Utd mugged each other off with the Sanchez/Mikhitarian clusterfuck... Players win, both clubs lose.

TBH, I'd expect them to be conducted as 2 separate deals... (Swap deals? LOL)

I just find the arrogant double-standards of it entirely abhorent.

Two separate deals agreed but surely in the ranks of their squad there would be a player or two that we simply insisted on getting if they wanted one of our jewels. Bale, Modric, Berbatov & Walker allowed to leave and only Frazier Campbell in on loan? Poxy business when you consider how much of a revelation a fringe player like Van Der Vaart was for us

See I like this part of football, enjoying it for the small things, the pisstakes. 4 tweets and 14,000 followers, no need for XG or heatmaps or VAR or a 16yr old at Hannover we should be looking at

We (much like far smaller clubs up and down the country hopefully still do) once enjoyed a healthy dose of gallows humour which saw us through far bleaker times... Now? Well we know the rest....

Like it or not, entitlement & a broader 'bling' mentality has it's hooks in....

Not sure how that can be reversed. Sure, individually each of us that cared to could go grass-roots and maybe rediscover the true culture of the game, but as a collective fan-base it only makes sense that it would reflect broader society...

No. Don't blame Harry Kane.
All successful PL clubs have more than 2 quality strikers. Manure had 4 when they won CL. There are so many games in 4 competitions, strikers will get their share of games...

United tended to play 2 up top though...

Kane will never be dropped or rested. That's not down to our lack of striking depth behind him, it's down to the fact he's world class.

Plus when we do play two up top (Which we have done for the last 2 months) we partner him with Son who's a pretty fucking good striker.

I dare to say our scouts are very bad, we've only, Foyth apart, signed more or less stablished players since Alli, and a great part of them was a completely fail.

Toby and Son are superstars. Davinson is on his way to that. Wanyama was utterly brilliant for a season and with any luck will soon return to being a very useful player. Trippier and Gazzaniga are good players who were fantastic bargains. Sissoko and Lucas are good players who weren't. Kevin Wimmer was somehow sold for a massive profit, and looked fine for the thirty seconds he actually played for us. Foyth is a nice prospect who'd go for double what we paid now.

N'Jie, Nkoudou, Llorente, Janssen and I'm sad to say it but Aurier were all big fails.

But that's 10 up and 5 down, that's pretty good. It looked better when Wanyama was a world-beater, but that's life.

Scouting the MLS must be an absolute nightmare. Not dissimilar to the Dutch league. Such an open style of play. That league is fun to watch, but it does make Giovinco look like Messi 2.0 and Altidore look like, he would take Kane's starting spot :kanegoal:

An ounce of quality really lights up that league, as does real physicality and athleticism (Robbie Keane, being in possession of both, was a superstar here). But Almiron is as good of a player as I've seen in MLS, I'd back him to succeed in the PL.

Two separate deals agreed but surely in the ranks of their squad there would be a player or two that we simply insisted on getting if they wanted one of our jewels. Bale, Modric, Berbatov & Walker allowed to leave and only Frazier Campbell in on loan? Poxy business when you consider how much of a revelation a fringe player like Van Der Vaart was for us

In the past; sure, but our squad is of a higher calibre now though.... These days it's "hmmm if he's no good for Barca, how do we know he's good enough for us... i.e. Malcom?

Another case in point... Kovacic was on many a fans lips in the summer... I'm glad he wasn't a make-weight for any of our stars last summer, aren't you?

It's a testament to our growth.

That said, worth considering any move must appeal to any potential recruit too though.... United can't just fob X or Y onto us cos they wanted Beratov.... Who did they have at the time, that we'd have wanted, would have wanted to sign for Spurs in those days?

Besides, think christmas time; would you prefer a tenner in an envelope to spend on whatever you want, or do you want a £10 WHSmith voucher? ....Which offers you the better selection? ...The more freedom as a buyer?

We (much like far smaller clubs up and down the country hopefully still do) once enjoyed a healthy dose of gallows humour which saw us through far bleaker times... Now? Well we know the rest....

Like it or not, entitlement & a broader 'bling' mentality has it's hooks in....

Not sure how that can be reversed. Sure, individually each of us that cared to could go grass-roots and maybe rediscover the true culture of the game, but as a collective fan-base it only makes sense that it would reflect broader society...
Absolutely agree. Maybe I’m being misty eyed but I feel like one of the charms of Spurs fans over the years has been the ability to self-depreciate, to roll our eyes when things don’t work out and still smile, knowing that we are part of a wonderful football club with a great culture around it. Many of us didn’t take the easy route and simply support Liverpool or Man Utd when they were winning everything, unlike many of the kids around us. I think the age of social media has upped the levels of fan “banter” and made it all a lot more cut throat. People apparently can’t handle getting pelters constantly from other fans and the media and so make greater demands. Understandable really, but in the past it was all about just being proud of the shirt and not really giving a shit what others think.

United tended to play 2 up top though...

Kane will never be dropped or rested. That's not down to our lack of striking depth behind him, it's down to the fact he's world class.

Plus when we do play two up top (Which we have done for the last 2 months) we partner him with Son who's a pretty fucking good striker.
It is insane to say Kane will never be dropped or rested and will play every single game in a season. How about when he is injured like now?
Son is a left winger.

If what you are saying was right then the club wasted £100m in signing fees and wages of Soldado, Jansen and Llorente.

It is insane to say Kane will never be dropped or rested and will play every single game in a season. How about when he is injured like now?
Son is a left winger.

If what you are saying was right then the club wasted £100m in signing fees and wages of Soldado, Jansen and Llorente.

Besides the odd League Cup or FA Cup game - Kane will never be dropped.

I wouldn't expect Messi to be rested, nor would I expect Ronaldo to be rested. Just like I wouldn't expect Kane to, especially in games that matter.

The club absolutely wasted £100m in signing fees and wages of 3 waste of time strikers. Son may be a left winger, yet he's played up front for 2 months and yet has been involved in more goals than any other player within that time.

I wouldn't expect Messi to be rested, nor would I expect Ronaldo to be rested. Just like I wouldn't expect Kane to, especially in games that matter.

The club absolutely wasted £100m in signing fees and wages of 3 waste of time strikers. Son may be a left winger, yet he's played up front for 2 months and yet has been involved in more goals than any other player within that time.
That's more agreeable now...

Absolutely agree. Maybe I’m being misty eyed but I feel like one of the charms of Spurs fans over the years has been the ability to self-depreciate, to roll our eyes when things don’t work out and still smile, knowing that we are part of a wonderful football club with a great culture around it. Many of us didn’t take the easy route and simply support Liverpool or Man Utd when they were winning everything, unlike many of the kids around us. I think the age of social media has upped the levels of fan “banter” and made it all a lot more cut throat. People apparently can’t handle getting pelters constantly from other fans and the media and so make greater demands. Understandable really, but in the past it was all about just being proud of the shirt and not really giving a shit what others think.

I don't think it is misty eyed nostalgia..... I'd suggest outside of the first-world problems of a handfull of relatively spoiled teams it's still the same as we used to be...

"By far greatest team the world has ever seen"

How many fans can honestly say that with a straight face? ...Yet it's sung up and down the country right the way through the pyramid.

Why do people go and support Burnley, Reading, Lincoln City, Canvey Island FC or whoever?

It ain't for the champagne football and silverware is it?

Hmmmmmm....

Dodgy figures there mate. I know you're including wages, but Soldado (28m + wages) represents virtually half of that and he was signed long before Harry blew up.

Back
Top Bottom