January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In the past; sure, but our squad is of a higher calibre now though.... These days it's "hmmm if he's no good for Barca, how do we know he's good enough for us... i.e. Malcom?

Another case in point... Kovacic was on many a fans lips in the summer... I'm glad he wasn't a make-weight for any of our stars last summer, aren't you?

It's a testament to our growth.

That said, worth considering any move must appeal to any potential recruit too though.... United can't just fob X or Y onto us cos they wanted Beratov.... Who did they have at the time, that we'd have wanted, would have wanted to sign for Spurs in those days?

Besides, think christmas time; would you prefer a tenner in an envelope to spend on whatever you want, or do you want a £10 WHSmith voucher? ....Which offers you the better selection? ...The more freedom as a buyer?

When we made those transfers I'd absolutely say there was space for a Real, Man U or City hand me down for the squad. At the moment I'd insist on players like Zinchenko, Dani Ceballos, Riqui Puig or say no deal.

I wouldn't want the ones they want shot of, I'd want the ones they are somewhat reluctant to move with as our only leverage in order to get them.

Walker should only have been sold if Sancho was on his way to us. We have to take advantage as best we can of any deal that gives us a potential opening.

Back when we sold Berba I'm sure Man U had a few squad players that would have helped us get off to a better start than we did at the time, the same with Bale & Modric to Real and Kyle to the moonies

When we made those transfers I'd absolutely say there was space for a Real, Man U or City hand me down for the squad. At the moment I'd insist on players like Zinchenko, Dani Ceballos, Riqui Puig or say no deal.

I wouldn't want the ones they want shot of, I'd want the ones they are somewhat reluctant to move with as our only leverage in order to get them.

Walker should only have been sold if Sancho was on his way to us. We have to take advantage as best we can of any deal that gives us a potential opening.

Back when we sold Berba I'm sure Man U had a few squad players that would have helped us get off to a better start than we did at the time, the same with Bale & Modric to Real and Kyle to the moonies

I dont recall the buyers' squads at the time tbh...

For me selling abroad is always preferable option if we can get the price we're looking for and thus some of this would matter less to me.

Domestically, it's more of a concern as we risk the double jeopardy of strengthening a rival.

I think Levy felt burned by the Berba/Keane window. He's shown a tougher stance against Utd, Dips & Chavs since... Hearing of the Sancho stuff was a disappointing echo of prev. times.

At the same time, lets not overlook the fact that time and time again the cheque-book teams rely on the selling club not wanting to be left with an unsettled player on their books.

I dont recall the buyers' squads at the time tbh...

For me selling abroad is always preferable option if we can get the price we're looking for and thus some of this would matter less to me.

Domestically, it's more of a concern as we risk the double jeopardy of strengthening a rival.

I think Levy felt burned by the Berba/Keane window. He's shown a tougher stance against Utd, Dips & Chavs since... Hearing of the Sancho stuff was a disappointing echo of prev. times.

At the same time, lets not overlook the fact that time and time again the cheque-book teams rely on the selling club not wanting to be left with an unsettled player on their books.

Good point. One of the things a lot of fans overlook when people chose to brand teams as a selling club.

The market fascinates me at the moment. Players like Solanke commanding a fee close to £20m leaves me absolutely startled. Where these teams will be in 5-10 years I've honestly got no idea. £50-£75m for Callum Wilson? Absolutely mental!

Good point. One of the things a lot of fans overlook when people chose to brand teams as a selling club.

The market fascinates me at the moment. Players like Solanke commanding a fee close to £20m leaves me absolutely startled. Where these teams will be in 5-10 years I've honestly got no idea. £50-£75m for Callum Wilson? Absolutely mental!

Yep completely right.

That is why I do have a certain synpathy for Levy and the stance we seem to adopt within reason.

It's finding the right balance that is key.

I would say it was unsustainable what some of these lesser clubs venture into but as yet none have gone to ground.

Not really sure what it will take but something will need to change.

Yep completely right.

That is why I do have a certain synpathy for Levy and the stance we seem to adopt within reason.

It's finding the right balance that is key.

I would say it was unsustainable what some of these lesser clubs venture into but as yet none have gone to ground.

Not really sure what it will take but something will need to change.

I think you'll see the effects when teams are out of the league for a year or two and don't get investment etc. Aston Villa were in the shit before they got nabbed, Stoke would be if it wasn't for their Bet365 money etc.

When you see teams that really go for it and fail to survive, the spiral effect for them will be sudden and rapid. Fortunately for most there is a fair old amount of shit at the bottom of the league and if you have a shrewd manager like a Hodgson, Warnock etc you can survive by the skin of your teeth without lumping huge dough on moving up the ladder. Bournemouth & Watford deserve a fair bit of praise for meshing together well oiled teams from bits and bobs they've picked up along the way but when one eventually goes, we'll see them flapping

I think you'll see the effects when teams are out of the league for a year or two and don't get investment etc. Aston Villa were in the shit before they got nabbed, Stoke would be if it wasn't for their Bet365 money etc.

When you see teams that really go for it and fail to survive, the spiral effect for them will be sudden and rapid. Fortunately for most there is a fair old amount of shit at the bottom of the league and if you have a shrewd manager like a Hodgson, Warnock etc you can survive by the skin of your teeth without lumping huge dough on moving up the ladder. Bournemouth & Watford deserve a fair bit of praise for meshing together well oiled teams from bits and bobs they've picked up along the way but when one eventually goes, we'll see them flapping
Spot on this.

If you go back a bit further you can cite Portsmouth, won the FA cup in 2008, Eufa cup the following year, by 2010 they had gone into administration, relegated to League 2 in 2013 and now have little or no chance of reaching the PL.

Leeds Utd were in the CL semi final and then due to debts went down the leagues, and went down to League 1.
Only now are they getting back

Spot on this.

If you go back a bit further you can cite Portsmouth, won the FA cup in 2008, Eufa cup the following year, by 2010 they had gone into administration, relegated to League 2 in 2013 and now have little or no chance of reaching the PL.

Leeds Utd were in the CL semi final and then due to debts went down the leagues, and went down to League 1.
Only now are they getting back

It's taken Leeds 15 years to get within arms reach of getting back in the Premier League and even if they do they'll be at the bottom of the pile because their roll of the dice didn't come off back in the O'Leary days. Will people think about that when they demand we spend on dross to show ambition? Na I didn't think so. It'll be 25 years after they were relegated if they're lucky until they are seen as a genuine force in the league again. 25 years because they we're reckless and it went wrong. Watch what will happen when these Sheikhs, oil barons etc get fed up of their little toys or something new comes along. We never lucked out with someone who was prepared to do a Jack Walker with us but look at us now &a look at where Blackburn have been since

Just like the sun rising every morning, and the world keeps on a spinnin'......., out come the requisite Leeds / Portsmouth scenarios in a transfer window thread.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom