January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas has proven himself as an incredibly useful back up. Exactly the sort of player you need in the squad. He is a bit lightweight though. I am hoping he will improve his strength and adapt to this league.

I wonder if he have one assist in his life. Headless chicken that runs with the ball and ends up losing it or playing an alibi pass. I admit that he's pretty good at running, half of the time offside and he have scored a few goals. I'm not convinced at all.

So is it Poch that doesn’t want to buy or Levy?

Levy has set aside money for transfers. Poch is just very picky and doesn’t want to waste our limited funds on players he isn’t fully convinced by. He won’t buy squad players who will simply block the development of Skipp, KWP etc.

Fine in principle but then why are we selling Dembele in the middle of the season? All we’ve done is weaken our squad. If we fail to sign a midfielder then it’s simply negligent. We got £9m for Dembele which is naff all compared to the cash we could lose for missing out on the CL.

I wonder if he have one assist in his life. Headless chicken that runs with the ball and ends up losing it or playing an alibi pass. I admit that he's pretty good at running, half of the time offside and he have scored a few goals. I'm not convinced at all.
The problem is having willing back-ups in the squad. Not sure any team, apart a handful, will have a player like Lucas in the second team. What this period is showing is how light we are in certain areas.

I guess when you've spent the past 20 years fucking off chairman of all clubs across europe its going to be a bit tricky to make signings.

Are you trolling? When we’re we not in a race for top 4?
I'm not saying we weren't in the race for top 4, im just saying dropping 3 points to Wolves and United had the likes of Chelski and united and Woolwich thinking they were back on it, but with city also dropping points last night has to give us some confidence and pull even further away from teams around the top 6. We are still in the driving seat but when you lose 2 out of our last 4 league games and have injuries like we do, it's always nice to see teams above you also drop points

With a little luck on the day or luck of the draw playing a team like Bradford City in the final, as was the case when Swansea won it in 2013 I'm sure our history would look a little different under ENIC & Levy
How are we going to play against a Bradford in the final if we cant get past the semis, also as for luck of the drawer away from our inability to beat any of the top 4 in the latter stages we are more than capable to going out to shite....

2019 out to Palace
2016 out to Palace
2015 out to Leicester
2013 out to Leeds
2011 out to Fulham
2012 out to Portsmouth
2006 out to Leicester
2005 out to Newcastle
2003 out to Southampton

I guess when you've spent the past 20 years fucking off chairman of all clubs across europe its going to be a bit tricky to make signings.
I'm still in the dark as to why this urban myth has become reality as far as football consciousness is concerned...
Is it 'cos he's a (Cliche Alert) Tough Negotiator ...which is, in turn, done to get the maximum value for our club (when selling) and not be forced into spunking way too much on overpriced players who may or may not have a Vowel at the end of their name?

I guess in this SSN money mad agenda driven football world we live in, we are now brainwashed into thinking that SPENDING VAST SHITLOADS OF CASH IS GOOD, AND THE ONLY ANSWER. END OF.
...and anyone who doesn't meet that frankly disgusting criteria, is 'hard to deal with'.
Is that the reason he's 'pissed off' other Chairmen, and by the sound of it, the Football world apparently... or is there another reason?

How are we going to play against a Bradford in the final if we cant get past the semis, also as for luck of the drawer away from our inability to beat any of the top 4 in the latter stages we are more than capable to going out to shite....

2019 out to Palace
2016 out to Palace
2015 out to Leicester
2013 out to Leeds
2011 out to Fulham
2012 out to Portsmouth
2006 out to Leicester
2005 out to Newcastle
2003 out to Southampton
Blimey, Leicester and Palace certainly have the measure of us in the Cups!

I'd say, with the exception of Leeds and Portsmouth, which was just 'orrible and freakish, the clubs who have knocked us out are of a similar ilk, and size... mid-table PL clubs, who, at the time of us playing them, weren't in danger of relegation, were certainly not winning the League (yet, in Leicester's case) and who could go all out to beat 'mighty' Spurs... it's a free hit for most of them. The shame is, we're always more than willing to oblige!

We're perfectly capable of beating these teams, but I think we've taken these types of games with a pinch of salt too many times...

As someone said on the radio the other day, the real reason the Cups are secondary in terms of a season, is that to win one, you 'only' have to win 6 or 7 games max. ...and all for 'a day out' at the end of it.

To succeed (ie: Top 4 or higher) in the League, you have to be 'on it' for at least 30+ games, if not all 38... where one defeat can have massive implications.

i'd almost rather play a 'bigger team' early on in the Cups, 'cos you'd assume, they'd be taking the same 'carefree' attitude to the Cups as we have been!!

Yeah, we'd have two League Cups this century instead of just the one

Have you not heard? We have a manager who finds the domestic cups pointless

Worse manager
Worse squad
Chelsea, Utd and Woolwich were all better than now
Gulf between us and them was massive

Yet we won it. Suggesting that we could have again with a better manager, better squad, and the fact we’re now better than teams we are losing to in the cups

Last edited:
And now seemingly can't find one player in World football he thinks could improve us.

Well he could, but if we can’t sign them then he won’t sign anyone.

Personally I’d be happier for him to take a punt on a striker. Whether it’s a buy or throw Sterling in I don’t care.
But continuing with Llorente while bemoaning options in the market while you leave a prospect on the bench I’ll never understand.

He trains with the team everyday and has been here for years, so why would he offer less than a young player from Hull or Leeds?
Better unknown than knowingly playing someone who can’t do the job

So.. what time are admitting defeat in signings today?
Don't rush it, the fun has only just begun...

giphy.gif

Levy has set aside money for transfers. Poch is just very picky and doesn’t want to waste our limited funds on players he isn’t fully convinced by. He won’t buy squad players who will simply block the development of Skipp, KWP etc.

Fine in principle but then why are we selling Dembele in the middle of the season? All we’ve done is weaken our squad. If we fail to sign a midfielder then it’s simply negligent. We got £9m for Dembele which is naff all compared to the cash we could lose for missing out on the CL.

And yet he was convinced by N'Jie, N'Koudou, Janssen, Stambouli etc.

Hmmm ...

Back
Top Bottom