Woolwich @ Wembley - 2nd March - 1230KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still feels like a huge opportunity missed for us. Been piss poor last 3 games and I'm not at all confident we will do the business at Southampton either. Need to get back to our best sharpish. God knows why pochettino is coming out saying we were better team. He needs to be giving a few of them a roasting. Especially trippier eriksen and Sanchez. Hopefully kane will get rested vs Dortmund too

It's all about the next 10 games now. Do what we need to do in those and this blip will all be forgotten.

A win away at Southampton and a draw in the Woolwich vs Man U game and we'll be back to having a 5 & 6 point cushion over them both with Chelsea still to play Man U & Liverpool.

Just win your home games from here on in Spurs and I think we'll do enough in a couple of the away games to fend off the rest

It's all about the next 10 games now. Do what we need to do in those and this blip will all be forgotten.

A win away at Southampton and a draw in the Woolwich vs Man U game and we'll be back to having a 5 & 6 point cushion over them both with Chelsea still to play Man U & Liverpool.

Just win your home games from here on in Spurs and I think we'll do enough in a couple of the away games to fend off the rest
Pressure off is so I can see us taking 4pts from Liverpool and City (draw at the etihad)

But the rules say it was a pen and the lino clearly saw he was offside and they still gave a pen. I didn't know that this was how the rule works but now I do. I do find it strange that commentators don't know the rules though, this seems like a pretty common spot.

Here is Kieth Hackett's explanation:

a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence
Yeah it's all down to Kane's Xos stats, had it been Defoe in the same scenario, the lino would have flagged him for offside before the free kick was awarded, as his Xos coefficient was in excess of 1000.
In one computer simulation run yesterday a Yemeni match official actually flagged Defoe offside despite the fact that he was on the bench for Rangers.
Expected offside stats can be confusing for the uninitiated, but vital in game management

Thanks for taking the time to post the explanation but I still don't see what value it adds, like most statistics, TBH.
It's because it doesn't add value.
It's BS so people can sell pseudo science computer games.
It's so people who don't bother going to matches justify their grasp of the game.
Look at some of the comments on here about player performances, most of which mirror what they heard on TV, rather than what was actually happening on the pitch.
Some people are so gullible they will follow any fad and claim it's the only thing that has meaning.
You however go and watch matches and make your own mind up. People like you are an advertiser's nightmare, you're not swayed by bullshit stats and babble speak

Oh look, a disagree from the ultimate plastic armchair expert.

Last edited:
I feel so sorry for them................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
nah, not really
:allitongue:
Anyone who videos themselves watching a penalty, and posts it on line is a supporter of Cambridge University Netball Team
Particularly when it was as crap as that one

t's because it doesn't add value.
It's BS so people can sell pseudo science computer games.
It's so people who don't bother going to matches justify their grasp of the game.
Look at some of the comments on here about player performances, most of which mirror what they heard on TV, rather than what was actually happening on the pitch.
Some people are so gullible they will follow any fad and claim it's the only thing that has meaning.
You however go and watch matches and make your own mind up. People like you are an advertiser's nightmare, you're not swayed by bullshit stats and babble speak

Agreed. The stat's-mania rise over the last 15 years is directly proportional to the match betting explosion.

All the punters think that they can read something in to these (largely) meaningless stats and use them to predict results. You can't.

The game is 11+ bench against 11+ bench. Add in Manager team selection, squad acquisition, tactics, injuries, player form, opposition form, desire, attitude, team cohesiveness, mistakes - all largely unpredictable.

The stats are there for the mugs who want a punt - and inevitably lose. There's not much 'scientific' about this game.

Have to say that was one of my Fav NLDs and I have been to alot. Boozers had cracking atmosphere before. Lots of rowdyness on the train. Game had lots of action including the comedy of the aubangawho miss at the end. And there was lots of shanigans at the end. Bring on Dortmund .COYS
to be perfectly honest I thought it was pretty poor - I couldn't get there until KO but other than a little bit of noise now and then I thought it was quite dead. When they got the Penalty there was a fair few leavers around me but the thing that hit me was there was no real anger, just resigned. I left thinking that most just want this season to be over - I really hope that's the last game there.

Tbh if we are talking letter of the law you could make an argument that Aubameyang's was a pen. The eye test will say it clearly isn't BUT there was contact, Sanchez didn't get the ball and that decision would probably not have been reversed if VAR is around. It's swings in roundabouts tbh.
Contact is allowed - it has to be excessive contact and you need to be a cock to think it was excessive... even with that I have no confidence VAR would have reversed the decision because its shit and refs seem to have decided any contact is excessive.

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher has explained why Anthony Taylor made the incorrect call in awarding Tottenham a penalty in the north London derby on Saturday.

On Saturday, Kane rattled in a 74th-minute spot-kick to cancel out Aaron Ramsey's first-half opener before Hugo Lloris kept out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's penalty to ensure the game ended 1-1, a first Premier League draw for Spurs in 33 matches.

The hosts were handed a way back into the game when referee Anthony Taylor adjudged Shkodran Mustafi to have fouled Kane, though it looked soft and Kane was shown to be in an offside position when Christian Eriksen played the ball.

https://e2.365dm.com/19/03/768x432/skysports-Woolwich-tottenham_4596965.jpg?20190304110836
Referee Anthony Taylor points to the spot after a foul by Shkodran Mustafi
There was little doubt the England captain was going to convert from the spot, and speaking on Ref Watch on Monday, Dermot Gallagher has explained why Taylor wrongly came to the decision to award Tottenham the spot-kick.

"What I would say first of all is that's a great spot from the referee for the penalty," he told Sky Sports. "It was definitely a foul. I think the problem occurs at the outset because the assistant isn't in the right start position, and he's always playing catch-up then.

promo375969460_4597013.jpg
0:32

BLOG Kane Pen Offside
BLOG Kane Pen Offside

Kane was offside at the moment Christian Eriksen struck the free-kick

"He doesn't see that Kane challenges for the ball, and because he doesn't see that, he doesn't flag offside. But the minute Kane challenges for the ball, he becomes active and involved in play, and therefore offside should've been given.

According to Law 11, the Offside Rule, "If a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence."

Dermot added: "In a nutshell that means, at the minute the free-kick was taken, if I'd have grabbed hold of you at that point, and you hadn't challenged for the ball, I could give a penalty.

skysports-kane-tottenham-arsenal_4596960.jpg

Gallagher explains why Taylor was incorrect to award Spurs a penalty
"Because Kane challenged for the ball, the clue there is that he's in the air. That shows he's going for the ball, and if he goes for the ball, that negates the first bit."

Mustafi was penalised for denying Kane a chance to reach the cross with referee Anthony Taylor awarding the penalty, but Dermot explains why the German defender was not subsequently sent off once the spot-kick was awarded.

"It's not a red card, because you have to be in possession of the ball, which he wasn't or able to gain a clear possession of the ball, but it was in the air. There's a doubt, which means it can't be obvious and the law says it has to be an obvious goalscoring opportunity

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher has explained why Anthony Taylor made the incorrect call in awarding Tottenham a penalty in the north London derby on Saturday.

On Saturday, Kane rattled in a 74th-minute spot-kick to cancel out Aaron Ramsey's first-half opener before Hugo Lloris kept out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's penalty to ensure the game ended 1-1, a first Premier League draw for Spurs in 33 matches.

The hosts were handed a way back into the game when referee Anthony Taylor adjudged Shkodran Mustafi to have fouled Kane, though it looked soft and Kane was shown to be in an offside position when Christian Eriksen played the ball.

skysports-Woolwich-tottenham_4596965.jpg

There was little doubt the England captain was going to convert from the spot, and speaking on Ref Watch on Monday, Dermot Gallagher has explained why Taylor wrongly came to the decision to award Tottenham the spot-kick.

"What I would say first of all is that's a great spot from the referee for the penalty," he told Sky Sports. "It was definitely a foul. I think the problem occurs at the outset because the assistant isn't in the right start position, and he's always playing catch-up then.

BLOG Kane Pen Offside
BLOG Kane Pen Offside

"He doesn't see that Kane challenges for the ball, and because he doesn't see that, he doesn't flag offside. But the minute Kane challenges for the ball, he becomes active and involved in play, and therefore offside should've been given.

According to Law 11, the Offside Rule, "If a player in an offside position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence."

Dermot added: "In a nutshell that means, at the minute the free-kick was taken, if I'd have grabbed hold of you at that point, and you hadn't challenged for the ball, I could give a penalty.

"Because Kane challenged for the ball, the clue there is that he's in the air. That shows he's going for the ball, and if he goes for the ball, that negates the first bit."

Mustafi was penalised for denying Kane a chance to reach the cross with referee Anthony Taylor awarding the penalty, but Dermot explains why the German defender was not subsequently sent off once the spot-kick was awarded.

"It's not a red card, because you have to be in possession of the ball, which he wasn't or able to gain a clear possession of the ball, but it was in the air. There's a doubt, which means it can't be obvious and the law says it has to be an obvious goalscoring opportunity

So, he was offside then?

skysports-Woolwich-tottenham_4596965.jpg

BLOG Kane Pen Offside
BLOG Kane Pen Offside

Back
Top Bottom