Southampton (A) 9th March - 1500 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch on whether Spurs are now in a battle for the top four: "Maybe it's good, people will realise our real level."

WTF? Why does he keep saying this stuff. How can the players expect to be motivated if Poch keeps saying things like "we're shit" and "we're not gonna win any trophies in the coming 5 years"

If you really believe it has no impact on performance and mentality, you're delusional.
Maybe it will make him feel better if he leaves, who knows

Few chairmen is having an idea of how to run the footballing side of things. That's why they hire managers and football executives to do the job for them.
Just look at Ed Woodward for christ sake. He got saved by Fergie's tip to hire Solskjær, or else that club would be in shatters now.
What I mean is, that Levy really have got much out of little means, and that we can solely thank him for being where we are today. The mans got a vision and strategy. What do Woolwich have?

Whilst I agree he is a good businessman, what Woolwich do is irrelevant.

We should be focusing on what will bring this club success rather than worrying about another teams lack of it.

Sounds to me like Poch is stoking the fires, and is basically saying fucking back my next season or me and the team are fucking off. It's been so obvious we can't compete on multiple fronts all year don't have the depth for it.

It’s down to Poch to fix the problem but apparently that isn’t working because the players aren’t responding to him.

That seems very concerning.
Our attitude and mentality seems to have been all over the place at times this season - we smashed Chelsea and Dortmund looking amazing but have also been abject against teams like Burnley.

But it has been obvious this season that we have barely pressed any team we have played - it used to be the hallmark of how we played 2 seasons ago. We look so wide open at the back as well, although that may be down to our lack of genuine CM players. Not sure why this has happened

Poch:

"It is so difficult to understand why we changed so much from the first half to the second. I am very disappointing, we were better in everything and then we lose the game. It is about competing better for the first goal if you want to be a contender for big things. The second half we did not take it seriously, I don't want to criticise too much but when you lose a game that was under control after 45 minutes, should be 3-0, 4-0 and finishes in 2-1 defeat, it is difficult to accept.

"We started to take some risks that were unnecessary and that was the main problem. It gave them belief and they started to build their game. When you lose the momentum after 45 minutes, that is about mentality, that is about begin strong and keeping the right. For us, we lost the momentum and gave them relief.

"Their first goal was a cross in front of the goal where four players can put the ball out of the stadium. We were not capable of doing it and it is a tough moment and a tough result.

"This is our reality. People talk about perceptions but we need to realise if you do not fight with intensity for the Champions League, you will struggle. The reality is you cannot only play for 45 minutes, we are a Champions League team, into the quarter-finals. The team does not have the experience of competing in these circumstance, it is good to learn but we have to fight every single opponent.

"We are fighting against big sides (for the top four). We had a big gap, welcome to the reality, we are under pressure to win games. It is a massive challenge for us."

I remember when we beat United 3-0 early in the season he was warning how talk of the title was foolish and that if we get complacent we are going to crash. We promptly lost to Watford. We still have that complacency in us which is unacceptable after 2 identical matches to this one against Watford and Wolves. Kill the game and score 4 goals, then you can stop playing. Just because Southampton are shit doesn’t meant you don’t need to play a second 45 minutes, especially when it’s only 1-0. The players should be embarrassed at the way they’ve lost some games this season. The players think they are better than they actually are, hard work wins matches. Nothing else.

Is finishing outside the top four this season after looking nailed on going to be worse than when we did the same under Harry Rednapp ?

I think so as I honestly thought Poch had changed the mentality at the club, his team were made of stronger stuff, sickening when it seems they are just the same.

I remember when we beat United 3-0 early in the season he was warning how talk of the title was foolish and that if we get complacent we are going to crash. We promptly lost to Watford. We still have that complacency in us which is unacceptable after 2 identical matches to this one against Watford and Wolves. Kill the game and score 4 goals, then you can stop playing. Just because Southampton are shit doesn’t meant you don’t need to play a second 45 minutes, especially when it’s only 1-0. The players should be embarrassed at the way they’ve lost some games this season. The players think they are better than they actually are, hard work wins matches. Nothing else.

But this has been a constant problem for more than this season. How can the players keep doing that?

Surely they must have learned to focus on each game and apply themselves. If they believe their own hype and constantly fail to deliver in key moments then that absolutely shows the lack of mentailty

I'm not interested in fighting with anyone on here
Yeah, I stopped reading there. You are either lying to yourself or you genuinely think your posts aren't argumentative, critical of others OR provoke cunt offs. So either way we will have to agree to disagree with your posts. bye.

I think if we continue to play like this for the remainder of the season and we miss out on top 4 then I think it might be a reasonable question to ask.

There is no point keeping a manager that can’t motivate the players to give everything in every game.

It’s either we move on or we have a complete squad overhaul.

Or you know, the players actually do their fucking jobs so Poch doesn’t get the sack.

I don’t want Poch gone but ultimately, as we have seen at clubs like Chelsea, the players have the power these days unless the chairman completely backs his man and tells the players to get on with it or they will get sold.

I can’t understand what’s going on with us right now, one minute we are fantastic the next we are having games like today.
I think it's the same players listening to the same voice for a bit too long. Time to move some of them on and bring in new blood. In the guts of 2 years, all we've brought in is Moura (and he's not up to scratch).

Please stop. We're in our most financially vulnerable situation since the eighties, and Levy´s doing a remarkable job to keep it together.
We aren't guaranteed anything with new signings. The post Bale-situation proved that. The four last games is down to mental strength. Something happened within the team's head when Kane returned from injury. Exactly what, I'm not sure, I'm not a psychologist, but it's definitely not down to the teams quality. We've got plenty of it.
A remarkable job, I'm sorry I'm not having that. Spend nothing still get into the champions league when everyone else is spending big money..even Everton and Leicester and probably wolves, yes wolves are showing more ambition with there investment in the team... as far as I know levy is not a coach so he has done fuck all to keep us in the champions league places. In fact it seems to me he has tried his hardest for us not to get there, we are in the top 10 richest clubs in European football but people still believe that we have no money..we do levy just likes it to be in the bank so he can look at the figures and get all over excited.. I know the stadium blah blah.. if anyone believes that the finance for the stadium is really much different to the way anything else is financed then your just believing it because u love levy imo.. any big financier would lend that kind of money to a big club in the premier league that generates hundreds of millions a year and keeps generating higher revenues every year it's a no brainer..there money is safer then anywhere else the could of lent it and they would happily make the repayments very manageable and just tag some extra years onto the contract so they can raise the interest rate as we generate more money.....come on I cannot be the only one who sees through levy ..can I?

Get a life, man, you're full of shit, always the same talk about who are the true fans and so on. Were we supposed to like this shitshow of today? We've been crap for a while and you seems the only one that can't see this, or you are Pochettino account
mmm

I have watched this kind of stuff over several decades, and know full well how to conduct myself when I see the team play like they did today. I have a long and distinguished history of enduring results like this.

I need some plonker who has never been to a game, supports from thousands of miles away and has supported the club for a couple of weeks telling me what I should say like I need a new hole in my arse - right at this moment.

You are a constant sewer of whining negativity and you improve this site in the same way as a hippopotamus with diarrhoea improves a swimming pool.

Whilst I agree he is a good businessman, what Woolwich do is irrelevant.

We should be focusing on what will bring this club success rather than worrying about another teams lack of it.
And focusing about the clubs success in the long term is what we're doing. On the football side of things, some minor adjustments could be made, but it's not exactly science either. I trust the team and Poch will sort this out. He has done this many times before.

Sounds to me like Poch is stoking the fires, and is basically saying fucking back my next season or me and the team are fucking off. It's been so obvious we can't compete on multiple fronts all year don't have the depth for it.

I think it's still unclear as to where the blame really lies - most likely a combination of factors from mentality to lack of investment to bad tactical decisions at times.

If we assume that Poch is the right man to lead the club to titles and is effective in getting the best out of the players and instilling the right mentality then he has to be backed by Levy with more high level signings.

At the same time he needs to be ruthless with players that dont have the right mentality even if that is an Eriksen, Lloris, Toby...whoever...and then get in the right players who will drive the club to the next level

Pissed right off.

The mentality of our players is the problem. Always up for it in the champions league yet seem to think teams like wolves, burnley, Southampton and Watford are a given. Until that mindset changes we will not win anything.

And we wonder why the media overlooks us.

Back
Top Bottom